Morrissey Central "YOU KNOW I COULDN’T LAST" (July 26, 2023)

“She had only so much ‘self’ to give. She was dropped by her label after selling 7 million albums for them. She became crazed, yes, but uninteresting, never. She had done nothing wrong. She had proud vulnerability … and there is a certain music industry hatred for singers who don’t ‘fit in’ (this I know only too well), and they are never praised until death - when, finally, they can’t answer back. The cruel playpen of fame gushes with praise for Sinead today … with the usual moronic labels of “icon” and “legend”. You praise her now ONLY because it is too late. You hadn’t the guts to support her when she was alive and she was looking for you. The press will label artists as pests because of what they withhold … and they would call Sinead sad, fat, shocking, insane … oh but not today! Music CEOs who had put on their most charming smile as they refused her for their roster are queuing-up to call her a “feminist icon”, and 15 minute celebrities and goblins from hell and record labels of artificially aroused diversity are squeezing onto Twitter to twitter their jibber-jabber … when it was YOU who talked Sinead into giving up … because she refused to be labelled, and she was degraded, as those few who move the world are always degraded. Why is ANYBODY surprised that Sinead O’Connor is dead? Who cared enough to save Judy Garland, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Marilyn Monroe, Billie Holiday? Where do you go when death can be the best outcome? Was this music madness worth Sinead’s life? No, it wasn’t. She was a challenge, and she couldn’t be boxed-up, and she had the courage to speak when everyone else stayed safely silent. She was harassed simply for being herself. Her eyes finally closed in search of a soul she could call her own. As always, the lamestreamers miss the ringing point, and with locked jaws they return to the insultingly stupid “icon” and “legend” when last week words far more cruel and dismissive would have done. Tomorrow the fawning fops flip back to their online shitposts and their cosy Cancer Culture and their moral superiority and their obituaries of parroted vomit … all of which will catch you lying on days like today … when Sinead doesn’t need your sterile slop.”

MORRISSEY
26 July, 2023.

full

Related thread:

Media items:

Last edited by a moderator:
The difference between the two is the mother, Moz had a balanced mother who gave him the proper education and containment he needed to deal with his mental problems and sufferings, so Moz is not a drug addict and is not abandoned. I'm sure Moz's mother was very stimulating for him despite having depressive episodes, he never let himself fall, he always got up despite everything. And she continues to do so, I imagine Moz's mother as a woman with a lot of spirit and true love for her children
She gave him a boner throughout his life.

Love,Peace and Harmony.
I have never bought or owned any record of Sinead's. Yet,her life made my heart bleed.
It's called Empathy.
We all have our cross to bear.
Aren't obituaries a last chance to speak openly and honestly about what a person meant to you.
You, as an individual.
Morrissey said nothing wrong.I say this knowing what I say means absolutely nothing to him. What Morrissey says means absolutely everything to him. As it should. He has no fear.Nor should he. We have freedom of speech. Morrissey expressed his thoughts and feelings. If we weren't allowed to mention ourselves in an obituary there would be nothing to say.
Especially if you have a connection with the very soul who has died.
Solidarity makes a person stronger. Morrissey can only grow in strength and I admire his belief in his actions and words.
Didn't Sinead sing backing vocals on his songs? I may be wrong. Would have to Google it.
I only hope that Sinead is able to see how her death made the world darker place without her in it. Especially to her family and loved ones. She had 2 Grandchildren. She was a Grandmother. I applaud you Sinead. Do us a favour though.....if you see God,rage, rage and rage some more.
Solidarity
Empathy and
Power to the people.
Always.
No, no backing vocals - unfortunately!
Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce did some concerts with her though after the release of The Lion and the Cobra, and Andy played on I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got.

Reading a summary of Sinead.O.'s life The truth is that his life was a mess. 4 marriages q did not last anything with men 4 children with each of those men, she was ordained as a "priestess" of a religion related to Catholicism, she declared herself a lesbian and then said goodbye, addiction problems, suicide attempts, unpleasant fights with one of her children,.. She claimed to be a feminist and later converted to Islam. ???.. How do they treat women in that religion? Mmm.... In short, a psychiatric patient who ended up like so many patients of this type. I don't think he's a figure who has stood out beyond music. He had serious psychiatric problems.
She grew up in a disastrous family environment, how could she not be a psychiatric woman? But what cannot be understood is because in moments of lucidity, because a madman, I mean psychotic patients, are not all the time out of reality, because he had children and more children ... knowing that she was a psychiatric patient and having suffered abuse from a mother who also had psychiatric disorders. He clearly doesn't seem like an example to anyone and I feel sorry for his whole life.
I'm a psychiatric patient. But you can call me a Menk if you like. Many people do. I like it. A madman...er no, a psychiatric patient. Label me mental. Better still call me a Menk. It's slang for psychiatric patient. Learn proper English as well.

Sorry, Lujan, but that all sounds terribly judgmental. Whose life isn't a mess when you really examine it up close? We all survive and get by if we can. And there is some research showing a link between mental health problems and creativity. That's not to suggest that mental health problems are somehow a good thing. But turning adversity into hope is the essence of what makes us human.

That was his sick life, I don't think it's an example to anyone. If you had a lot of suffering, suffering is psychic what pain is to the physical. She had a mother who didn't want her. My criticism would be that she should not have brought into the world so many children, in fact for me she should not bring a single child, knowing what she suffered and suffered, in fact a son committed suicide... Perol good.. Everyone lives as they can, but you are always responsible for your actions, unless you are crazy about tying. May the poor woman rest in peace

That was his sick life, I don't think it's an example to anyone. If you had a lot of suffering, suffering is psychic what pain is to the physical. She had a mother who didn't want her. My criticism would be that she should not have brought into the world so many children, in fact for me she should not bring a single child, knowing what she suffered and suffered, in fact a son committed suicide... Perol good.. Everyone lives as they can, but you are always responsible for your actions, unless you are crazy about tying. May the poor woman rest in peace
Woah. Really. Who died and made you God.

It's incredible that Morrissey gets more support elsewhere for his (very true) statement than he does on his supposed fan-site. Actually, no it isn't, this is solo and most of you hate him more than his most ardent detractors. Bizarre, really.
I don't agree. There is a lot of positivity on Moz Solo, some balanced but well-meaning criticism, and some vicious vitriol. You are also forgetting the efforts people go to on this site: posting setlist as it happens, posting concert photos, providing links to informative stories about Moz, etc. All of which is nothing compared to the work that moderators such as FWD have invested in Moz Solo every day for years. This is a community and within any community you will have a mix of personalities and opinions. A lot of the fans on this site support Morrissey by buying the albums (often on multiple formats), concert tickets, merch, etc. That is not the behaviour of haters.

Last edited:
I don't agree. There is a lot of positivity on Moz Solo, some balanced but well-meaning criticism, and some vicious vitriol. You are also forgetting the efforts people go to on this site: posting setlist as it happens, posting concert photos, providing links to informative stories about Moz, etc. All which is nothing compared to the work that moderators such as FWD invest in Moz Solo every day for years. This is a community and within any community you will have a mix of personalities and opinions. A lot of the fans on this site support Morrissey by buying the albums (often on multiple formats), concert tickets, merch, etc. That is not the behaviour of haters.
Well said.

I would say Morrissey’s comments on Sinead O’Connor’s death are easily identifiable with something that could come from the lips of the singer of The Smiths.

Dislike his words here if you like, but they are classic/archetypal Morrissey. Which is to say that if they offend, you’ve definitely not been taking in the lyrics of those 80s recordings.

He said 'most of you' though, that's why I replied.

Yes agree, maybe a strong choice of words. That may have been chosen out of surprise that for a site dedicated to M/Smiths how much hate ( self-hate?) is actually posted.

Last edited:

“She had only so much ‘self’ to give. She was dropped by her label after selling 7 million albums for them. She became crazed, yes, but uninteresting, never. She had done nothing wrong. She had proud vulnerability … and there is a certain music industry hatred for singers who don’t ‘fit in’ (this I know only too well), and they are never praised until death - when, finally, they can’t answer back. The cruel playpen of fame gushes with praise for Sinead today … with the usual moronic labels of “icon” and “legend”. You praise her now ONLY because it is too late. You hadn’t the guts to support her when she was alive and she was looking for you. The press will label artists as pests because of what they withhold … and they would call Sinead sad, fat, shocking, insane … oh but not today! Music CEOs who had put on their most charming smile as they refused her for their roster are queuing-up to call her a “feminist icon”, and 15 minute celebrities and goblins from hell and record labels of artificially aroused diversity are squeezing onto Twitter to twitter their jibber-jabber … when it was YOU who talked Sinead into giving up … because she refused to be labelled, and she was degraded, as those few who move the world are always degraded. Why is ANYBODY surprised that Sinead O’Connor is dead? Who cared enough to save Judy Garland, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Marilyn Monroe, Billie Holiday? Where do you go when death can be the best outcome? Was this music madness worth Sinead’s life? No, it wasn’t. She was a challenge, and she couldn’t be boxed-up, and she had the courage to speak when everyone else stayed safely silent. She was harassed simply for being herself. Her eyes finally closed in search of a soul she could call her own. As always, the lamestreamers miss the ringing point, and with locked jaws they return to the insultingly stupid “icon” and “legend” when last week words far more cruel and dismissive would have done. Tomorrow the fawning fops flip back to their online shitposts and their cosy Cancer Culture and their moral superiority and their obituaries of parroted vomit … all of which will catch you lying on days like today … when Sinead doesn’t need your sterile slop.”

MORRISSEY
26 July, 2023.

full

Related thread:

Media items:
Couldn't agree more x

I have a Mother I don't want. Wow...so people who suffer in childhood should not have children? Really. Wow.

Back
Top Bottom