Who makes the money off of the tour?

The Seeker of Good Songs

I am curious, how is money made off of a tour.
I mean, does "Morrissey" pay the venue a flat fee for the use of the facility, and then earns off of the ticket sales, or does the facility get paid by how many tickets are sold?

I was wondering because of the main page reviews of the Waukegan show where people say it was maybe half full and that there was little to no promotion/advertising it.

Isn't it in the best interest of both Morrissey and the venue to promote the show? Or is more money generated in shirt sales? And even if that is the case, a half empty venue will sell half as many shirts as a full venue, so promotion should still be desirable.

Is there any public record anywhere of how much money a Moz tour generates?

We always hear news that the Rolling Stones make $millions or have record breaking earnings for their tours. Is this because they have big name products promoting their tour? Are they paid a flat fee for touring and the "product" company makes the real money?

I'd like to know the business end of it.

There were a few posts the other day listing Morrissey's ranking among all US 2007 tours, but now I can't find it. Ranking was by ticket sale dollars, I believe, which hardly tells the whole story. IIRC, he had jumped from #20 to #12 recently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Promoter_(entertainment)

Wikipedia entry on "Promoter" with a breakdown of how the money gets made. . .I am too steeped in small people playing loudly, indoors, on a rainy day, to actually read the thing but I think it will give you at least some of the info you want.

--jeniphir

Each venue would cost a set amount to hire (presumably the charge to include the PA and security on the night etc)

That set fee would have to be paid regardless if 10 people turn up or 1000.
The job of promoting the gig is the promoters. The venue would also do a little by having mailing lists / flyers and adverts in local media advertising all of their gigs, but not specifically just one gig.

Whatever is left over is then profit between Morrissey and his promoter / management. I expect - though obviously cant be 100% certain - that the band and roadies would be on a set fee to cover the tour as opposed to a certain amount each gig depending on attendances.
Who knows, even Morrissey may be on a set fee for the whole tour and the promoters rake in the profit, but take on the gamble of it not making a profit? Like when it was claimed Morrissey and Marr were offered $75 to reform and play 50 gigs. They would receive that money - it's then up to the promoter to ensure those gigs take place and that the promoter rakes the money back via tickets sales / charging for interviews / TV appearances / possibly a live album etc etc etc.

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
Most artists of Morrissey's calibre would get a guaranteed fee with sometimes a percentage of ticket sales. It is the promoter who stands to lose or make the most money depending on the ticket sales so it is in their interest to promote the event. However, it could be that for a promoter Morrissey is a fairly easy gig and they know they will get a certain amount of people going to cover their costs so they don't bother spending money on advertising. It could be a promoter assesses that a half empty gig will rake them in enough money. For Morrissey, I'd guess he'd make sure that he had enough money to pay everyone with his guaranteed fee so any extra would be a bonus.

mos places ahve a gurantee and they also take 10% off of the top of ticket sales once a "sell out". thats called the back end. now to reah the back end, the venue must recoup its costs; after the gurantee,venue staff salary(promoter,security,sound,lighting ect.) catering, and the rider. a person with moz's calibur would probably ask for maybe(don't quote me) a 15,000$ gurantee. depeneding on the venue. and thats to pay his staff and to pay for preformances.....

Whatever money is made, agents, management, and promoters usually get paid on the gross income (-they take the option if they get it-) which is the biggest piece of the cake. The artist has to shoulder all expenses (road crew, instrument techs, musicians, travel & transport, catering etc.) of what is left.

That's why so many artists are broke after touring.

Same with recording: record companies, managers, attorneys et al take their piece first, and once the artist has paid back all the expenses and even some of the record companies' expenses, they finally get what is left. That's IF there is anything left, sometimes there isn't.

The music industry is not a very nice one...:(

I've seen Morrissey quoted in the past saying he makes NO money on tour and that it usuallly operates at a loss.

That was around the Maladjusted period when his popularity had dipped somewhat.

Back
Top Bottom