were THE SMITHS a rip off of THE CHAMELIONS?

speedfreaks ball

psychobilly member
dont know much about early 80s band "the chamelions" but some all knowing walking music directory mate of mine reckons so !!!!!!!!!!

I don't know if The Smiths are a ripoff but these guys sound pretty good so thanks. Interesting but I don't know that I would have instantly drawn the connection if I did not open that link with your comparison in mind.

I am sure the Smiths were influenced by them, but The Smiths are unique. Take The Beatles, their early stuff can be broken down like this:

Lead Guitar-Copied from Carl Perkins
Rhythm Guitar-Chuck Berry
Bass-Basic Boogie Woogie/Walkers
Vocals, a mixture of Everlys and Little Richard

So, why do The Beatles sound so original? Well, nobody knows! The Smiths don’t sound like anyone either, although like The Beatles the influences can be heard.

Someone pointed out the similality of two before, but it's a coinsidence.

i had never even heard of this band untill my mate whos like a sad john peel dismissed morrissey as a rip off stealing lyrics from films and books and telling marr to carbon copy the chameleons in all but name- is this true? i hope not!

John Peel loved The Smiths. John Peel said The Smiths sounded fresh and original to him. Your friend may be a "sad John Peel" but you can always trust the real one (may he RIP).

i had never even heard of this band untill my mate whos like a sad john peel dismissed morrissey as a rip off stealing lyrics from films and books and telling marr to carbon copy the chameleons in all but name- is this true? i hope not!

I'm sure he will admit to 'stealing' from books and music, and cinema. It's what makes some of his songs so thematic.

Filed under: See 'Cemetry Gates'

My brother's a huge Chameleons fan (and I like them too), so I end up listening to a lot of their music whenever he's around. I don't think that The Smiths and The Chameleons have much in common- musically, The Chameleons remind me more of a dark, brooding, early U2. And The Chameleons' vocalist is pretty good, but the lyrics don't hold up to Moz's from what I've heard.

They're certainly worth checking out if you haven't heard them, though- give a listen to Monkeyland, Don't Fall, Swamp Thing, and Caution (for starters).

Someone pointed out the similality of two before, but it's a coinsidence.

'well you can talk that way, but I have to say, I don't believe in it!'

I wouldn't link them and the Smiths at all- as ++++++++ rightly points out, they sound a little like early U2, and I have heard them described as 'bridging the gap between The Cure and New Model Army'

I love em- right now I can't get enough of 'the fan and the bellows' it's an absolute stonker- think of 'boy racer' being covered by Joy Division, and you are somewhere close... ps don't watch the video- more 9/11 gubbins

http://youtube.com/watch?v=njqmHsbcd6o

Well, to me they sound a bit like Joy Division. I like them a lot but I woundn't link them to The Smiths either

Oh man - I remember these now. I used to have a friend who made tapes for me in the 80s and he did one with Chameleons and Release the Bats that I played to death at the time.

Isn't it funny how you forget then it all comes back to you like it was yesterday..

Back
Top Bottom