What would have been young Steven's favorite Morrissey solo album?

What would have been young Steven's favorite Morrissey solo album?

• Total voters
The Queen is Dead (relax, i know it's Smiths, but he sure killed on that album and would've loved it to pieces as we do). Young Mozza woulda wore out the record.

The Queen is Dead (relax, i know it's Smiths, but he sure killed on that album and would've loved it to pieces as we do). Young Mozza woulda wore out the record.

:D
Haha it's okay -- the only reason I didn't include Smiths' material in here was because I thought it would just be a comparison of the Smiths to his solo career, when really I wanted to focus on the albums as a whole, not the two distinct eras in Mozzer's life.

Btw, welcome to the forums :thumb:

Hearty laughter at the responses to Kewpie's genius addition to this very interesting thread.

On-topic, I've voted for Your Arsenal. For reasons given throughout. The song that most sticks in my mind is 'You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side', for some reason. He would've loved it, would wee Steven.

Is it wrong that my first inclination is to answer this question with, Maladjusted...

No, not at all. I think he would have picked it up just for the title alone. :lbf:

Would have not liked the cover art, though.

Indeed. He would have thought "My hair! What have I done to my glorious hair?!!" :eek:

I think this is a really interesting question. I'm going to be a little controversial and say that I don't think he'd care for any of them.

As we know, Morrissey can be transfixed by the person just as much as the music and age had a large bearing on the young Morrissey. Can you imagine young Morrissey being such a fan of the Dolls back then if they were pushing 50? And Sparks, T-Rex etc? Whilst Get Off the Stage was written with a humorous element, there was meaning behind it.

Musically I agree that he'd like Your Arsenal and YOR the most, but I think he'd feel the singer was even too old when Your Arsenal was released.

The Smiths would have been a different matter. The confusion, isolation, loneliness, gender play, feminism etc would have gripped a young Morrissey.

Therefore, I think his favourite (if he really had to choose) would be Viva Hate. Morrissey was still young enough when it was released, and lyrically the isolation and desolation shines through on EDILS amongst others. I think he would have related to this far more than the next proper album of Kill Uncle. After that, I fear Morrissey would have felt him too old.

Morrissey has of course changed, and he would like his albums and himself as an icon now, but the younger Morrissey was perhaps more close-minded.

I think this is a really interesting question. I'm going to be a little controversial and say that I don't think he'd care for any of them.
Controversy is welcome here. This is Morrissey-solo after all.

I can see where Viva Hate would have appealed to him. Of all his solo albums, it was probably the closest sounding album to anything the Smiths would have put out. As you stated, the themes of isolation and literary references would have attracted a young Steven.

As we know, Morrissey can be transfixed by the person just as much as the music and age had a large bearing on the young Morrissey. Can you imagine young Morrissey being such a fan of the Dolls back then if they were pushing 50? And Sparks, T-Rex etc?

If you look at the UK pop chart listings in the 60s and 70s, it was not considered unusual for "older" artists to share Top 40 popularity with the newbies at that time. I will argue that musical tastes were broader back then and that the pop chart was considered for everyone. Louden Wainwright, for instance, was mentioned in the Mackie letters by young Steven, and he came from an American folk background.

I think young Moz liked things no one else liked, so he would natually gravitate toward an older, grey and distinguished singer caterwauling with a strange Rockablilly band that sounded like part T-Rex and part Cramps.

But that's just me.

I don't think Morrissey has ever been in thrall to youth. It's one of the aspects of him that makes him so different to the majority of pop stars. That's why all the negative comments about him ageing totally miss the point.

Your Arsenal, for sure. Simply for the associations with glam rock, T Rex, Mick Ronson, which all played a big part in Morrissey's childhood.

That's what I voted as well, and for the same reasons.

Me too and at this point in time it is winning this thread by a lot. It took me almost no thought to come up with my answer.

I have a feeling this is going to be the most common reason for the most common answer.

I voted "Southpaw" just because I figured he would've been interested in a unique departure from the preceding work. More rock-oriented than 'Maladjusted,' yet still progressive in the inclusion of two lengthy bookending songs, the message 'Do Your Best and Don't Worry,' the weird and wonderful drum solo in 'The Operation,' etc. Looking back on what people have been saying on YA though, I do agree with it. But something is just sticking in my mind about "Southpaw"..

A great thread suggestion.

I voted Your Arsenal, for all the same reasons as everyone else.

However my mind has now wandered off in an entirely science fictional direction, imagining young Morrissey hearing Hand in Glove on the radio for the first time then rushing to his battered, elastic-band bound note books containing the self-same lyrics, then slowly losing his mind as he watches someone else lauded and adored, propelled to fame, and Morrissey relegated to a walk on part as a deluded stalker, a pace behind at the soundcheck, knife in hand...

Erm, anyway, Your Arsenal. Definitely.

However my mind has now wandered off in an entirely science fictional direction, imagining young Morrissey hearing Hand in Glove on the radio for the first time then rushing to his battered, elastic-band bound note books containing the self-same lyrics, then slowly losing his mind as he watches someone else lauded and adored, propelled to fame, and Morrissey relegated to a walk on part as a deluded stalker, a pace behind at the soundcheck, knife in hand...

:laughing:
Brilliant! :D

in a strange way [cell 1.07] I think he would choose Southpaw Grammar,
Morrissey got a weird variaty of his favourit music

Arsenal and Vauxhall are to poppy for a young Steven, no it be his most
difficult album [well for me] or Ringleaders,but Ringleaders is sorta
average album with a few good songs

no, Southpaw Grammar would be his choice

Your Arsenal kicks ass. Tremendously rocking album. The opening of Someone On Your Side and Glue are simply out of this world.

Kickin' album! :)

I voted Viva Hate cause that's what I'm listening to right now and only two other people voted for it. Plus, I think he really would've loved the line "were you and he lovers?" :D

I voted Viva Hate cause that's what I'm listening to right now and only two other people voted for it. Plus, I think he really would've loved the line "were you and he lovers?" :D

I feel awful I have not yet gotten into that album in full yet, just the singles. I'll try to get to it soon! :thumb:

I feel awful I have not yet gotten into that album in full yet, just the singles. I'll try to get to it soon! :thumb:

Don't feel awful, just let yourself dragged in. Alsatian Cousin is one of his best opening songs, in my opinion. :)

:rofl::bow: That's hilarious! I can just imagine that, brilliant. :D

Back
Top Bottom