What will Barack Obama make of The Smiths?

'I don't think blacks & whites will ever get on or like each other' I believe Morrissey said this back in the 90s. I don't ever see any african americans/blacks well whatever is pc @ her shows.

Smooth move, Cameron ;) Of course, Obama will love it. He probably already owns a handful :cool: :guitar: I hope they meet someday...

Hugh
Do you really think he will listen to it?

I once gave the Duke of Gloucester a copy of the splendid book ''Morrissey's Manchester'' when he visited SLC.
I bet he went straight home afterwards and flogged it on ebay:tears:

Jukebox Jury

I think Barack should start coming on to the strains of this 'Charming Man' or 'The Last Of The Famous International Playboys.'

Ha ha.

And then maybe in the November election he could switch it up to 'November Spawned a Monster!'

Oh no looks like the medication's wearing off................

'I don't think blacks & whites will ever get on or like each other' I believe Morrissey said this back in the 90s. I don't ever see any african americans/blacks well whatever is pc @ her shows.

Things are starting to change somewhat in music now, which is maybe to do with the age of easy access to music over the internet. People can check out things more easily and, over time, will become more eclectic and far reaching in their tastes. A good example is Santogold. She is a black artist but her music is incredibly raceless and all encompassing. If you listen to her album you can hear indie, punk and new wave in there amongst the dub and music commonly thought of as being strictly 'urban'. It's a great record...really out there! Prince was and always will be like that. He never made music for black people or white people...he just made music. I agree that Morrissey's audience is primarily white, but not exclusively. I knew a girl who was black but really loved his music. I guess it's all to do with whether or not you can relate to what is being said on record and if it says something to you about your life, much like white people who are more into black / urban music than anything else because they get something of value out of it.

Around about 2.15 in the vid for 'That's How People Grow Up'. Aside from the stage invaders, he's like the most enthuasiastic guy there :D

I can so picture Obama dancing to 'This Charming Man' :cool:

wellwasnt there a very ectatic african amercan girl in that "people grow up video"jumping up and down?..and i jus watched an hour ago this short interview home where he met some of his fans on a record signing and not they werent all white...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REfkr2jmYS4

and i do remember when i watched one of my videocassette bootlegs a while ago where they showed news coverage from local us stations on the record signings from 1992 which happened all over america and it was also pretty mixed ethnically....black,asian...

and when some fans were interviewed at the end of the m in manchester dvd..wasnt there a black woman interviewed too?i saw this dvd th last time 2 month ago but i think i am right..she did go on about "that moz was there in her life when she felt isolated and not a part of society".-...

so he does appeal to everybody no matter from where your origins stems from .....what has the colour of your skin to do with it what kind of music someone like?

i think j.rogan did go on about that black topic in some of his books too but actually defend him...that he had black female friends ?

Last edited by a moderator:
The article didn't specify which album from the Smiths.

I would guess "Hatful of Hollow" or "The World Won't Listen" since they are both nice compilations.

Although I do admit I would have loved to have seen Obama's face as the PM of England handed him a cd entitled "The Queen is Dead" and think "Oh, so this is what they mean by English humor."

I bet he does - Obama's sophisticated as all get-out.

Just imagine what McCain would make of the Smiths - the mind reels...

Since he has trouble distinguishing between Sunnis and Shiites he'd probably get The Smiths mixed up with The Cure. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom