What should be YOR's second single?

I would like to see "It's Not Your Birthday Anymore" released as a single at some point, despite likely being edited. It's the best song on the album by far, and I think it'd be a wise choice.

I feel that three more singles will emerge from the album, with two featuring the session's b-sides and the third featuring exclusive live b-sides.

1) Something Is Squeezing My Skull
2) Black Cloud
3) I'm OK By Myself

I think Something is Squeezing my Skull is one of the best pop songs Morrissey has done as a solo artist and it would be criminal if he DIDN'T release this as a single.

Skull.
Would be his best single for AGES

Please no Skull single. It has a fairly weak melody and my least favorite track on the album. It reminds me of "I just want to see the boy happy" and that ain't a good thing. If you are going to have a wall of noise you need a decent melody to back it up. I must be the only one that finds that "Don't gimme more!" repeating constantly at the end annoying as hell.

Has to be Mamma Lay Softly
its the strongest track.

Skull, eh....
black cloud, eh...

Birthday, too soft

I go wif Mamma

Please no Skull single. It has a fairly weak melody and my least favorite track on the album. It reminds me of "I just want to see the boy happy" and that ain't a good thing. If you are going to have a wall of noise you need a decent melody to back it up. I must be the only one that finds that "Don't gimme more!" repeating constantly at the end annoying as hell.

I like Skull but not as much as other songs on the album. I don' think it's the great song other people here seem to think it is. I agree with you about the ending too.

I'd like to see Carol as the next single as it's the strongest choice for the job. i'd like to see Birthday as the final single from the album but I doubt it'll happen as Morrissey seems to often choose the wrong track as a single.

I think it will probably be 'Skull', because it's the most obvious choice. Personally, I'd like 'Mama Lay Softly...' or 'Black Cloud' because I think they're the most likely candidates for chart success.
Really though, I hate to be pessimistic but I don't think any of the songs on YOR are 'singles'. With songs like 'Irish Blood, English Heart' and 'First of the Gang To Die', you could imagine non-Moz fans liking them. Even though I love Years of Refusal, I'm just not sure it would ever appeal to the people who are making Leona Lewis and Lady Gaga No.1. :(
So really, Morrissey should just f*** them all and release 'Birthday' or something.

I have to agree with marred about "Skull", my least favourite track on the album.
"Black Cloud" would be my choice for the second single. "Carol" would be next.
"Birthday" & "Ok by Myself" are favourites or mine but no single material.

M

I think it will probably be 'Skull', because it's the most obvious choice. Personally, I'd like 'Mama Lay Softly...' or 'Black Cloud' because I think they're the most likely candidates for chart success.
Really though, I hate to be pessimistic but I don't think any of the songs on YOR are 'singles'. With songs like 'Irish Blood, English Heart' and 'First of the Gang To Die', you could imagine non-Moz fans liking them. Even though I love Years of Refusal, I'm just not sure it would ever appeal to the people who are making Leona Lewis and Lady Gaga No.1. :(
So really, Morrissey should just f*** them all and release 'Birthday' or something.

Yeah I agree YOR is not a singles album ripe for the plucking at all.... and that ain't a bad thing for us devotees is it?

Maybe he could release one more single from YOR, probably Mama and then go the true single route and release an entirely new song as a single that isn't from YOR seeing as though YOR already has 3 singles.

Although on my playlist AYNIM and THPGU have been replaced with Dearest love and Children in pieces. I had heard enough of those songs for a year already so I don't need to hear them on YOR anymore. Not that I don't love AYNIM!

Last edited:
My predictions for the remaining singles and their respective b-sides, I'm assuming that there will be two singles which I feel will be likely granted AYNIM and THPGU. Note some live tracks will obviously be thrown in for good measure but I havent a clue in regards to which.

Something is Squeezing my Skull
!. Action Man
2. When I was Young

One Day Goodbye will be Farewell
1. I'm Looking Forward to Going Back
2. Theresa, Theresa

Back
Top Bottom