Unpopular Opinion on Morrissey/Smiths?

I have yet to delve into that record! I'm still stuck on Kill Uncle, which I love very, very much. (King Leer❤️✨)
Can't wait to get to this one!!! (I'm trying to stay in order.)
Make suer you listen to the deluxe version, far superior.

Original Maladjusted is superb. Make no mistake.

Me three on The Smiths ending at exactly the right time. What a run of perfection!

Ending on such a high note in terms of quality of output and sheer force of the creative magic that was replicated again and again and again - it’s still astounding to think about even today.

The fact that there was never even a millimeter of decline, not ever even the start of any kind of decline, just means that these beautiful, heartrending songs and magnificent albums live in perfection for perpetuity. I don’t think it ever could have been any other way. :love:

Me three on The Smiths ending at exactly the right time. What a run of perfection!

Ending on such a high note in terms of quality of output and sheer force of the creative magic that was replicated again and again and again - it’s still astounding to think about even today.

The fact that there was never even a millimeter of decline, not ever even the start of any kind of decline, just means that these beautiful, heartrending songs and magnificent albums live in perfection for perpetuity. I don’t think it ever could have been any other way. :love:
Not to even mention, that the ending paved the way for everything Morrissey has shared since - which has been no less spectacular or magical. Quite on the contrary, in fact!

A completely different direction, so many times over, in what has proven to be a long and prolific journey, with so very many highs. Too many highs to even begin to list ❤️

And what a fun and completely entrancing ride it’s been. And still is.

I have yet to delve into that record! I'm still stuck on Kill Uncle, which I love very, very much. (King Leer❤️✨)
Can't wait to get to this one!!! (I'm trying to stay in order.)

Liking Kill Uncle is probably considered an unpopular opinion... Its up against a very high bar though. I like it.

Let me quickly rank my Moz albums in order of preference (and off the top of my head) - this is correct at the time of going to press :)

Vauxhall & I
Your Arsenal

Viva Hate

Maladjusted
Southpaw Grammar (my unpopular opinion?)
Ringleader of the Tormentors
You Are The Quarry
Kill Uncle
Years Of Refusal

I Am Not A Dog On A Chain
World Peace Is None Of Your Business
Low In High School

California Son

I put them in groups as positions are likely to move around in those groups, eg, best album is always going to be one of those two. And despite being down at the bottom, on the right day, I really enjoy listening to those albums

Bona Drag would be top 5

Liking Kill Uncle is probably considered an unpopular opinion... Its up against a very high bar though. I like it.

Let me quickly rank my Moz albums in order of preference (and off the top of my head) - this is correct at the time of going to press :)

Vauxhall & I
Your Arsenal

Viva Hate

Maladjusted
Southpaw Grammar (my unpopular opinion?)
Ringleader of the Tormentors
You Are The Quarry
Kill Uncle
Years Of Refusal

I Am Not A Dog On A Chain
World Peace Is None Of Your Business
Low In High School

California Son

I put them in groups as positions are likely to move around in those groups, eg, best album is always going to be one of those two. And despite being down at the bottom, on the right day, I really enjoy listening to those albums

Bona Drag would be top 5
Yes, Kill Uncle is my favorite right now! I use to not like Found Found Found or Pashernate Love but they've grown on me a lot. Even Asian Rut, it made me laugh at first "Ooooooh Asian boy, what.. drugs are you on?" but now that song is honestly really cool. The last line, the way he sings it, is chilling. Great visuals for me, very descriptive. I love when a song tells a story that you can visualize in your head as it's happening. Another one that does that is I'm Driving your Girlfriend Home. ❤️ King Leer though.. nothing gets me more dancey and pumped as King Leer does. I think the Smiths/Morrissey song that gets me most pumped up is I Want the One I Can't Have. The drive of the song, especially the wind up and slap of the instrumentals at the very beginning.✨

Err, but Bona Drag is just perfection. I listened through it multiple times a day when I first discovered it. 🥰 Oh Phoney... ❤️ That's song is so fun to sing out in the car to lol. (All of his songs are fun to sing though *coughMiserableLiecough* yeah)

Crap I gotta get ready for work. 🥲
(If you must go to work tomorrow.. well if I were you I wouldn't bother!)

The question doesn't make much sense to me as i have no idea what is popular /unpopular about the Smiths and Moz The fact people think he has made no good records post Quarry is dumb, most of his post Quarry lps were better than Quarry, it was a Moz light lp
I think the biggest myth around the new fan base is that Alain is some genius songwriter, when lots of his songs are Johnny Marr rips , Alain and co were considered sub-par by most people in the 90s. Alain seems like a grifter to me., all his covers of Smiths and Moz solo covers, as if he wrote them. He is like Mozzer's version of Tony Visconti, Tony takes from the Bowie fan base and Alain does it with Mozzers. I am not hating on Alain, I am just saying , I do not agree with some fans opinions on him

The next myth, is the Los Angeles /Latino myth, this crazy notion that Moz runs things in LA and all the Mexicans like him, it's just not true
It wasn't true 27 years ago , when this myth started getting traction and its less true now. LA had an anglophile element at one point and they all tended to like lots of British bands, Pulp, Suede Oasis and Blur , Verve DM , New Order etc
He has fans in Los Angeles and lots of people in Los Angeles are Mexican, therefore he has Mexican fans there. Moz, like The Cure and D Mode, did have a cult following for a while but by 2014 that was fading fast for him, though not for The Cure and D Mode, you can just go by ticket sales alone. In fact by 2016 lots of British acts outsold Moz in Los Angeles . I don't mind, I still think Moz is great, I don't know what happened around 2008. but he seemed to change for the worse, his worldview, his approach to art and media. I wish he would stop being concerned about being seen as "better " and just go on with " being" . It seems like he only considers American fame, real fame and by focusing on that and playing to the Mexican crowd, he ended up getting lost. Miles away from what he used to be about.
My view on the Smiths changed over the last 10 years, partly due to knowing more about Marr and Moz and partly by watching their career.
I used to think Moz was the smiths or at least 80% Moz and 20 % Marr
I now think its more 60% Moz / 50% Marr , sure Moz wrote, sang and did covers and interviews, kind of creating smiths world but Marr's heart and openness and "man of the people" approach also informed the Smiths alot. Not to mention the music he created was just as important words to most peoples

Yeah, if it's the public perception of the Smiths then it's Moz 70% Marr 30%
Actual band and behind the scenes related stuff it's probably the other way round, Marr is doing a lot of donkey work on top that he shouldn't have been forced to do at that age.

Back
Top Bottom