Uncut magazine looks at Morrissey's albums and unreleased songs

Oh I don't know about that. "America Is Not the World" and "How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel?" are pretty atrocious - among the worst things he's ever done. "All the Lazy Dykes" and "You Know I Couldn't Last" are pretty mediocre as well. But the rest are good songs - with a few great ones. I think it probably warranted a ***1/2 rating, at the most.

"America Is Not the World" is brilliant. It captured the angst most of the world has felt after "W" dragged our country through the mud. I've always felt that whenever Morrissey tackles social or political issues his own fans seem to yawn. I love: The Slum Mums, America Is Not the World, This Is Not Your Country, Teenage Dad on His Estate, etc.

"All the Lazy Dykes" is equally sublime with Morrissey capturing the overt, proud sexuality displayed at The Palms and contrasting it against typical middle class morality. It's hilarious and poignant both.

"You Know I Couldn't Last" is another very powerful song. Not knowing whether YATQ would succeed, this was Morrissey's farewell to the music industry. His lyrics, "and the teenagers who love you/ they wake up yawn and kill you" are a testimony to a man trapped by his passions and the ever changing world around him.

"How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel?" Well, I won't argue that one. It's still a rocking tune though!

Last edited:
Talking of which, does anyone else remember when 'I Like You' was going to be a US only release? The rumour at the time was that 'Home Is A Question Mark' was going to be the b-side. Wonder whatever happened to that release?

Peter

I honestly think it could have made a fifth single. It's lyrics aren't deep, but it moves along nicely and who ever said anything on the radio needed to clever?

Don't know about Home is a Question Mark...

"America Is Not the World" is brilliant. It captured the angst most of the world has felt after "W" dragged our country through the mud.

Well, I won't argue that the sentiment is lovely, and some of the lyrics are good, but... those opening lines! "America, your head's too big/Because America your belly's too big/And I love ya I just wish you'd stay where you is". So unpoetic, so clunky. You are obviously a more forgiving person than I am.

"Lazy Dykes" is a lovely sentiment, and as a lazy dyke myself, I should know, but it's just so blah. It reminds me of (suitably) "The Lazy Sunbathers," another blah song. But I don't hate it by any means.

Talking of which, does anyone else remember when 'I Like You' was going to be a US only release? The rumour at the time was that 'Home Is A Question Mark' was going to be the b-side. Wonder whatever happened to that release?

Peter

If memory serves, it was slated to be a CANADIAN single, but I don't recall any mention of "Home is a Question Mark" beyond that initial list of songs that Julia published on True to You.

I DO remember "I'm Playing Easy To Get" being mentioned as one of the B-sides for either "Let Me Kiss You" or "I Have Forgiven Jesus." I also remember some speculation that "The World Is Full of Crashing Bores" was going to be a fifth single in early 2005. I think that was better left alone.

Cheers,

Jamie

If memory serves, it was slated to be a CANADIAN single, but I don't recall any mention of "Home is a Question Mark" beyond that initial list of songs that Julia published on True to You.

I DO remember "I'm Playing Easy To Get" being mentioned as one of the B-sides for either "Let Me Kiss You" or "I Have Forgiven Jesus."

I'm Playing Easy To Get was rumoured to be on the YATQ Deluxe Edition, along with The Slum Mums and No One Can Hold A Candle To You.

Home Is A Question Mark was only mentioned once, on said list of songs recorded during the YATQ sessions. But that list doesn't seem to be accurate, as it also lists The Slum Mums, which was recorded with Jesse Tobias later in 2004. The Public Image probably wasn't part of the original YATQ sessions either. Instead, Let Me Kiss You and All The Lazy Dyke are missing from that list.

Back
Top Bottom