To stop trolling on the main page of moz-solo

Godlovesugly

Vintage Member
Is to stop the commenting part on the main news page

Instead of an option to comment on the "news" there should be a link that says "comment" but it leads you to the forums and...

every news item on solo should have a thread on the forums (which you need to be signed in to use) and comment on the news that way, because if you need to comment on something that urgently you won't mind signing in and using the forums.

I think that will work and I for one don't even look at the comments on the main page anymore because everytime i do look it is abusive...get rid of the comment part on the main page it's useless!!

?

I do think that everyone that is posting/writing should be signed in - But maybe I'm wrong or ?
(At least I for Myself cannot post unless signed in)

Maid@ Vale Lover said:
I do think that everyone that is posting/writing should be signed in - But maybe I'm wrong or ?
In Moz-Solo news page you can be an anon poster; not in the forum.

Sounds good to me; it's annoying having to read all these troll's droppings when you really want to know what comments there are about the news.

yes from me :)

No, no, no, no, no!
And no.

The best posts on the main board have come from people who wish to remain anonymous. All the leaked tracks and best news stories always come from anonymous people. The leaked emails have both been posted under anonymous tags - and I for one believe that they wouldn't have been posted unless the user could remain anonymous.

Never going to happen. If you don't like trolls, set your filter to +1, you'll just get the good stuff.

Mada said:
No, no, no, no, no!
And no.

The best posts on the main board have come from people who wish to remain anonymous. All the leaked tracks and best news stories always come from anonymous people. The leaked emails have both been posted under anonymous tags - and I for one believe that they wouldn't have been posted unless the user could remain anonymous.

Never going to happen. If you don't like trolls, set your filter to +1, you'll just get the good stuff.

Some time-wasters/p***takers are annoying, but as Mada pointed out, it's better to leave as it is.

I think we all want to have both.

ie: We want the anonymous trolling to stop on the main pages - so that we don't have a constant battle against the fake set lists, the ridiculous abuse etc..

but we do want the interesting anonymous postings from the 'inner sanctum' that give us glimpses into what goes on behind the scenes, and the news stories that leak in terms of releases and tours... etc

I completely understand David's decision to allow the anonymous postings which allow some of the good stuff to get through.

However, in a sense, all the posting on this site is anonymous. We are not giving up our names, addresses or any other personal info really. We are merely creating screen names and posting using them. Surely anyone with the need/want to post an interesting/indiscreet story could simply sign up using a main email provider (yahoo or hotmail - say) and have their say then disappear again.

If a troll attempted to use the same idea then the name could be immediately blocked.

All this is just to say that banning anonymous trolling from the main page could work. It doesn't necessarily mean that freedom of speech is compromised, or that juicy stories would not be posted.

Would such a system be worth a trial? I'm beginning to think so.

well, to shut out what some people call trolls completely would mean the same as morrissey not getting played on bbc1 .
call me naive , but i truelly thought that moz fans are a bit more broadly minded.
i thought they have a heart for outsiders and are trying to understand , at least, just like their favourite singer.
but, as the stereotype runs a mile beforehand , some only want to be up above by shouting others down

this came very naively ,
sincerely , undie!

With respect, you seem to have an unrealistic view of what a troll is.

I think you have things back to front. It is the trolls who attack and abuse 'outsiders' - often with great malevolence. They employ racism and homophobism (if that version of the word exists.) They make personal attacks on people they consider to be weaker than themselves. There's nothing romantic about the trolls - they are bored internet users who use their anonymous status to 'look down' on everyone.

They also lie constantly. They try to mislead.

Moz fans should be broad minded - but trolls are not freedom fighters for good.

Different people have different views on censorship, and some are more sensitive than others when it comes to posting.

There is a moderation system on the main board, if you don't want to see anonymous comments / trolls, set your point threshold to 1 and you won't see them.

Personally, yes, it's annoying when trolls repeat the same things over and over but I don't let it get to me. It's a trade-off, as detailed in this article I have linked to several times before:

In Defense Of Anonymous Cowards by Jon Katz, Slashdot 1999

Like airport noise or graffiti, they are part of life. People who call other people names anonymously have little real influence. Since they offer no rational criticism, they don't have to be taken seriously and have no influence. The kid who says "You're a jerk, go away" almost can't, by definition be someone who must be listened to. Intelligent and thoughtful criticisms are much more disturbing, because they are harder to ignore or dismiss.

The real damage anonymous posters do is drive away people who have important or interesting things to say but don't want to participate in the digital equivalent of dodgem. Many women, older posters, people with demanding work and newbies in particular are disinterested in or frightened off by tostosterone-charged flamers. This is a real loss, judging from their e-mail, since many intelligent, thoughtful and useful observations are never seen. Some Websites suspend the posting privileges of people who engage in repeated personal attacks, while others provide moderators to steer conversations in more rational, civil directions.

But the understandable impulse to chase these people off ought to be resisted. The right of Anonymous Cowards to sound off under a pseudonym is important, part of the online chemical mix. Their existence, like many things online, represents a tradeoff. They're a symbol of the freedom available online, but increasingly rare off-line. More than the mastery of software, they are a much better test for any writer of whether or not he belongs online. And whether or not he ultimately has anything to say.

carnal artist said:
With respect, you seem to have an unrealistic view of what a troll is.

I think you have things back to front. It is the trolls who attack and abuse 'outsiders' - often with great malevolence. They employ racism and homophobism (if that version of the word exists.) They make personal attacks on people they consider to be weaker than themselves. There's nothing romantic about the trolls - they are bored internet users who use their anonymous status to 'look down' on everyone.

They also lie constantly. They try to mislead.

Moz fans should be broad minded - but trolls are not freedom fighters for good.

You should do something about it, it gives a horrible, horrible first impression of the place, like having a clapped out old banger in your front garden.
Also, some of the nasty posts are removed and some are not, leaving it all a bit disjointed and visitors won't know that you can have the option not to view posts with a score of 0. You don't really have a point about some good stories being posted anonymously either, most people give themselves names like 'Retrousse nose from the Leeds side streets' and that's hardly going to unmask them is it?

sarahT said:
You should do something about it, it gives a horrible, horrible first impression of the place, like having a clapped out old banger in your front garden.
Also, some of the nasty posts are removed and some are not, leaving it all a bit disjointed and visitors won't know that you can have the option not to view posts with a score of 0. You don't really have a point about some good stories being posted anonymously either, most people give themselves names like 'Retrousse nose from the Leeds side streets' and that's hardly going to unmask them is it?

I think if the site was suffering for traffic it might be worth considering setting the default to viewing at 1 rather than 0 but since there seems to be plenty of people here it's better to let those who are new figure out they can get away from the anonymous stuff if they chose.

Main page? Seriously, I don't ever visit there anymore.
To answer the question if you want the trolling to stop, ignore it.

The problem can be solved easily I would say.

Keep allowing anonymous posting, but give a few moderators the tools to delete racist or homophobic posts (or do it yourself David, but you can't be online 24/7). It would certainly be a big improvement.

This is what we have now, there are moderators who can moderate (but not delete) messages full time. If you would like to volunteer, PM or email me.

Censorship is a tricky subject. I lean towards not having it as that is what the internet has been based on. There are certainly some pitfalls involved, with so many different opinions on how a site should be run.

As someone mentioned a while ago, there are tools on the site that can help sort the individual user's threshold of tolerance, but only if the user takes the time to learn them.

Johan de Witt said:
The problem can be solved easily I would say.

Keep allowing anonymous posting, but give a few moderators the tools to delete racist or homophobic posts (or do it yourself David, but you can't be online 24/7). It would certainly be a big improvement.

Not having anonymous posters isn't censorship. People could still post what they like, they'd just have to take responsibility for what they post.

I don't think you can have free speech without responsibility personally. You just get anarchy and the bullies take over.

As for anonymous posters being the source of inside gossip, I haven't noticed that happening very often. We very rarely get scoops before the rest of the world hears of it. I think if the site was run a bit more responsiblly, we might do.

For Christ's sake can we stop anon posting!?

Shit like that turns this place into a f***ing joke, frankly. A few c***s f***ing it up for 99% of the site visitors but for some reason that 1% must be catered too by allowing them to post without registering. A JOKE.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom