The two new musicians in the band

Mike Rourke

What's the feeling about the two new musicians?
Are they enjoying themselves on stage? Do they do backing vocals?
Even though Morrissey liked to make out (a little unconvincingly!) that he was one of the 'lads', I think having women in the band could turn out to be a really positive move. Be great if they end up contributing songs.
Do we know if they're currently in other bands?
Think I read that Carmen is, so I guess she may not be able to stick around in the long term.

Last edited:
Carmen is my new fave! I like her playing style and the way she moves. I have no idea about her previous ventures in the music industry but I like her vibe a lot. The other girl is more low key but that's because she's on keyboards I guess and so far she does not seem to be a total replacement for Gus as a multi instrumentalist but time will tell.

The other girl is more low key but that's because she's on keyboards I guess and so far she does not seem to be a total replacement for Gus as a multi instrumentalist but time will tell.
She plays third guitar on several tracks on the current tour, so she seems like a pretty direct replacement for Gustavo. The only thing she hasn't played yet is the digeridoo (thank god).

Here's an interview with Carmen on what seems to be a guitar channel from a few years ago.

Okay well less than a minute in and I'm in love. She's so damn cute! I was already in love with her guitar. She's adorable and the fact she loves the blues so much which is what my Father brought me up on as a kid is so cool. :)

Last edited:
She plays third guitar on several tracks on the current tour, so she seems like a pretty direct replacement for Gustavo. The only thing she hasn't played yet is the digeridoo (thank god).
Gustavo also played accordeon on Bullfighter, Chain Gang, Far Off Places, …..
And the Spanish guitar on the outtro of Staircase and possibly others.@
He also provided backing vocals.
So he’s not that easy replace but the keyboards are the main thing.

Carmen has a very cool stage personality and the fans are warming up to her.
Camilla plays a long piano intro before EILS, as Gustavo did, so she gets her moment every night. She also shines in Bonfire imo.
I don’t really get to hear their voices though. It was pointed out that Carmen provided backing vocals but it is not very audible.
On the next tour, Morrissey should shut up his telephone song and bring back Veronica with one of the girls replacing Miley’s taped voice.

Carmen has a very cool stage personality and the fans are warming up to her.
Camilla plays a long piano intro before EILS, as Gustavo did, so she gets her moment every night. She also shines in Bonfire imo.
I don’t really get to hear their voices though. It was pointed out that Carmen provided backing vocals but it is not very audible.
On the next tour, Morrissey should shut up his telephone song and bring back Veronica with one of the girls replacing Miley’s taped voice.
It is absolutely time to hang up on Sure Enough... I really don't see the appeal of that song at all. I love Veronica and would love to hear some new backing vocals on it!

It is absolutely time to hang up on Sure Enough... I really don't see the appeal of that song at all. I love Veronica and would love to hear some new backing vocals on it!
Sure Enough is one of my favourite songs. It's stuck in my head often and I love it, because I have a sister who fits the description. Sure enough, my phone would ring if she smelled money.

I've noticed that Morrissey visually drinks Carmen in. He eagerly looks her way often.

Sure Enough is one of my favourite songs. It's stuck in my head often and I love it, because I have a sister who fits the description. Sure enough, my phone would ring if she smelled money.
I love it when people love songs I'm not into but it does nothing for me at all. Meanwhile people can't listen to Veronica and I adore that tune!

I have nothing against the new members of the band but Carmen is underwhelming at best. The fundamental parts she's responsible for are inconsistent, at times wonky, and the noodling of random scales doesn't impress me. I am sure shes a tremendous artist, but I don't care for her role specifically in Morrissey's band.

I feel those most impressed with her are either those succeptable to any cute girl, or people who don't analyze the music in his his songs all that deeply. Alain's return was a dream and a polished band at that, but honestly if Carmen and Tobias could play the stuff just as good as Boz/Tobias did I wouldn't be complaining.

I have nothing against the new members of the band but Carmen is underwhelming at best. The fundamental parts she's responsible for are inconsistent, at times wonky, and the noodling of random scales doesn't impress me. I am sure shes a tremendous artist, but I don't care for her role specifically in Morrissey's band.

I feel those most impressed with her are either those succeptable to any cute girl, or people who don't analyze the music in his his songs all that deeply. Alain's return was a dream and a polished band at that, but honestly if Carmen and Tobias could play the stuff just as good as Boz/Tobias did I wouldn't be complaining.
I'm holding out hope that the arrangements get more adventurous and tailored to each musician's strengths as they get more practice time, concert experience, and cohesion together. None of that is to say that you're obligated to like the new band members or the arrangements, but barring any unforeseen reconciliations or reinvigorated reunions, I don't think Alain/Gustavo and company are coming back anytime soon – not with their own tour seemingly imminent.

I hope that we at least get to enjoy and assess their recorded contributions on the albums if they are ever released.

I'm holding out hope that the arrangements get more adventurous and tailored to each musician's strengths as they get more practice time, concert experience, and cohesion together. None of that is to say that you're obligated to like the new band members or the arrangements, but barring any unforeseen reconciliations or reinvigorated reunions, I don't think Alain/Gustavo and company are coming back anytime soon – not with their own tour seemingly imminent.

I hope that we at least get to enjoy and assess their recorded contributions on the albums if they are ever released.
I’d be shocked if they stick around long enough to record any new music. I’m all for Morrissey diversifying his band. That said, I don’t care who’s in his band, I just want it to sound good. His tickets aren’t cheap, and when the last band a few months ago sounded so damn good, it’s just disappointing to see what it’s become.

I’d be shocked if they stick around long enough to record any new music. I’m all for Morrissey diversifying his band. That said, I don’t care who’s in his band, I just want it to sound good. His tickets aren’t cheap, and when the last band a few months ago sounded so damn good, it’s just disappointing to see
Those are all fine points. I don't think the new band's gonna write I need new music. I just hope that they're able to work with the existing set list and body of work to Fit the songs to whatever their particular strengths are as players. And I completely agree with you about the most recent former incarnation of the being absolutely incredible. Gustavo is the. Staggering Lost to me I always assumed Alain's stay would be finite

Last edited:

Interesting points.
I don't think most of us can tell the difference between a competent guitarist and a great one.
It's certainly a nice change having women in the band and the renditions seem fine to my relatively untrained ear.

Back
Top Bottom