That's How People Grow Up - Looks like it won't make the top ten

Really? The sleeve of the record put you off THAT much?? I think that's kinda sad to be honest with you. Why did the sleeve bother you so much? A chap in his pants? Nothing wrong with that, if you got it flaunt it!

I think Morrissey is a splendid looking fellow and certainly, if I looked that good, I'd probably put a sleeve out like that! But even if it was a picture of him creasoting a fence wearing a Liverpool shirt (*shudders at the Red Scum*) and cuddling Johnny Borrell I'd still buy it.

It'd be a real shame if it doesn't chart highly but if it doesn't then it will reiterate my strong feeling that All You Need Is Me should've been the single - best pop song he's done since First Of The Gang in my opinion.

The sleeve alone didn’t put me off. It was mainly the quality of the song and the lack of new b-sides. To be honest, even with a fantastic sleeve, I'd probably still not have bought it...

Let's see.

Morrissey getting airplay for the single. Morrissey touring. Morrissey releasing a Greatest Hits package. Morrissey in the news recently.

Yet:

Morrissey releases new single with almost no incentive for fans to buy it other than Jake's (admittedly fetching) pictures of The Voice.

Could it be that for the first time we are getting a realistic picture of Morrissey's actual popularity among the greater public? Would the addition of 2-3 new B-sides or other incentives have brought out his fans to buy the single, ensuring another Top Ten-- and if so, what does that say about his previous Top Tens?

Just a thought.

Let's see.

Morrissey getting airplay for the single. Morrissey touring. Morrissey releasing a Greatest Hits package. Morrissey in the news recently.

Yet:

Morrissey releases new single with almost no incentive for fans to buy it other than Jake's (admittedly fetching) pictures of The Voice.

Could it be that for the first time we are getting a realistic picture of Morrissey's actual popularity among the greater public? Would the addition of 2-3 new B-sides or other incentives have brought out his fans to buy the single, ensuring another Top Ten-- and if so, what does that say about his previous Top Tens?

Just a thought.

The inference being that its the same old mugs (like me) who buy the single and album releases each time. But we know just from these boards that there are loads of new fans - people who got into Quarry and ROTT and (by god) are still in their teens. They are just now discovering the back catalogue and buying up HMV's last copy of Louder than Bombs.

So outside the fanbase i agree that very few people love a Morrissey song enough to buy it - but the fanbase is changing all the time so clearly some guys are turned onto him by a single release or two?

Now that you know where they hoard them, why don't you do what one poster does every time she sees Mozzer's new single in the record shops? Put his new single in the slots for the top 5. :D
Damn good call. I'm going to try that.
I must say the look I got of the salesman was one of 'why are you buying this shit?'. He did look about 15 and was one of them new fangled emo types.
I tryed Virgin (sorry zavvi?!) and it was nowhere to be seen.

The inference being that its the same old mugs (like me) who buy the single and album releases each time. But we know just from these boards that there are loads of new fans - people who got into Quarry and ROTT and (by god) are still in their teens. They are just now discovering the back catalogue and buying up HMV's last copy of Louder than Bombs.

So outside the fanbase i agree that very few people love a Morrissey song enough to buy it - but the fanbase is changing all the time so clearly some guys are turned onto him by a single release or two?

People just don't buy singles anymore and there's no reason to believe that doesn't include quite a lot of Morrissey fans. You can be big Morrissey fan yet not want the single, like me.

Older fans not running out on the first day to buy the single, but buying it throughout the week. Not a factor?

Older fans not running out on the first day to buy the single, but buying it throughout the week. Not a factor?

With all due respect, the fact that we have to ask questions like this is telling.

The point of pop charts is to measure sales but in effect the charts exist to say, "The public loved this single and was indifferent to that one". The prestige of an artist who releases singles rests on one simple fact: people loved it and wanted to buy it.

Sadly, if we want to prove a single's popularity but have to slice and dice the figures to account for days on which the single was bought, location of purchase, if it was downloaded or not, which and how many formats were purchased, and all the rest, the single in question can in no way be considered a "hit". One more reason the latest GH package is mostly a farce.

I'm a Morrissey fan - yet I still haven't bought the single. because i can't find it.

There is the problem - simple as. If someone who is not a Morrissey fan wants to buy the single and they can't find it they aren't going to hunt for it, they just wont buy it.

Good airplay on radio 2, Ross appearence, so no reason why it shouldn't hit top 10 based on airplay or getting it out in the media - the distribution of the single is - put simply - rubbish.

I'm a Morrissey fan - yet I still haven't bought the single. because i can't find it.

There is the problem - simple as. If someone who is not a Morrissey fan wants to buy the single and they can't find it they aren't going to hunt for it, they just wont buy it.

Good airplay on radio 2, Ross appearence, so no reason why it shouldn't hit top 10 based on airplay or getting it out in the media - the distribution of the single is - put simply - rubbish.

Is it not available for download?

I dislike downloads - I am a lover of the physical single - as are most morrissey fans - so thats what I'm looking for.

I dislike downloads - I am a lover of the physical single - as are most morrissey fans - so thats what I'm looking for.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I love buying the vinyl versions or, short of that, the physical CDs.

But most casual fans, the sort that make or break Top 40 singles, download songs. Therefore I suspect distribution isn't the cause of the poor sales.

It appears that Morrissey's usual fanbase didn't turn out to buy the single in high numbers which is why it is not in the Top Ten. Had they done so it likely would have charted highly. Like the others.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I love buying the vinyl versions or, short of that, the physical CDs.

But most casual fans, the sort that make or break Top 40 singles, download songs. Therefore I suspect distribution isn't the cause of the poor sales.

It appears that Morrissey's usual fanbase didn't turn out to buy the single in high numbers which is why it is not in the Top Ten. Had they done so it likely would have charted highly. Like the others.

I disagree. I am sure from previous postings that I'm not the only Morrissey fan who has had trouble searching for the physical single. Never had this problem before - and the fact this is a single released before the album it will be included on should mean its in more of a demand, and therefore it NEEDS to be in most record shops.

I think most of Morrisseys fanbase, who are likely to buy a single, is more mature and less likely to download, and I think downloading singles is done more by a younger audience. I dont think many Moz fans will be downloading the single - they buy the physical single. I've read on here that there is nothing in zavvi and I can confirm nothing in HMV or Woolworths (the stores i've been in anyway). Thats a big problem, which can't be denied.

Does anyone really expect the album to sell in great numbers?
I think I'll wait a few months and it will be £5 from Fopp Records in Manchester (ROTT & YATQ currently £3)

Jukebox Jury

He could have had top 10 EASY if he had released it with these formats:-

CD1
1. That's How People Grow Up
2. New song 1
3. New song 2

CD2
2. New Song 3

vinyl
2. New Song 4

I would have bought it this morning but it is not available in the digital format in the US Stores. iTunes did not have it. I questioned whether or not this was the first few releases that would not be allowed in the iTunes store as Decca is owned by Universal Music. I checked Amazon and they are not offering it either. Stupid music company - just cut it's nose off to spite it's face. Now I will not get it. I do not see the need to spend $12 in a $9 CD + S&H for a few b-sides I could have purchased for a couple of dollars.

Chart Position: That's How People Grow Up

I've looked on a couple of TOP 75 sites, but can't find the new single anywhere. Does anybody have any info? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom