T.Rex YT: "Tony Visconti - In Conversation (Live at Rough Trade East, 14/09/2023)" (October 20, 2023)

Famous when dead

Vulgarian
Tony Visconti - In Conversation (Live at Rough Trade East, 14/09/2023)

Don't have time to see if there's Morrissey references, but given the tracklisting of the upcoming album - maybe not.
FWD.

He mentioned Morrissey in this interview:

Like Adam Ant, Morrissey is another one of those characters whose reputation precedes them a little bit, but you seemed to work quite harmoniously with him. Unfortunately, there’s nothing from the album [2006’s Ringleader of the Tormentors] on this collection, but how was your experience with Morrissey?

I don’t know why we didn’t get a Morrissey track. It could be that the licence holder said no. Or maybe he’s got plans to release a ‘best of’ Morrissey. I could see that. But again, people said that he’s difficult and to work with and all that, and I remember the first day I went into the studio with him and I went in cold. I didn’t have any pre-production. He’d had a producer already on that album, whom he sacked. And so, I inherited the backing tracks; we didn’t cut new tracks. And I started out with overdubbing guitars and building up the production and he was very bemused by it. He wouldn’t say much; he would sit in a studio and ponder everything that was going down, and he was just thinking very strongly about things. If he had something to say he’d say it in a very nice, soft spoken voice, but he never opposed me on anything. And the funniest time was when we came to doing the lead vocals. We waited until the very end, most of the band is left and he’s front of a microphone, and he said, “Now I only want you to tell me two things, whether I should sing louder or quieter”. He didn’t want to be coached. So by take one, or two, or three, I just said, “I think you could do another one, for me” and he said, “Why?” And I said something like, “Maybe you could give me one with little more energy, just to give me an alternative. So if I do a composite of your voice, I’ll have a few options. You never know, you might, sing a gem, something that’s really great that you haven’t done already”. And when I put it to him like that way, he was agreeable. I think a lot of producers really don’t know how to talk to artists, and he must have had a bad experience. The reason why I think I communicate well, with artists, including the most difficult ones, is because I had a musical career. And I thought record producers were horrible people. I was spoken to in the rudest manner, by some record producers, when I was sitting there playing guitar and singing and stuff like that, back in New York. And I vowed never ever to treat it artists like that. I think that’s why I’ve got a lot of respect from the people I’ve worked with. And there are testimonies in this box that book from people I work with. They’re confirming that I’m a cool guy to work with [laughs].

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing @Famous when dead and transcribing @Malarkey

I enjoyed reading this anecdote, Tony V starts so well, I am tickled from 'lead vocals' even before he lands - don't ask me why.
Perhaps because (for me) - it brings home all these little Morrissey song-writing nuggets that live in my head, er - rent-free btw
- Marr on the 'one' time he suggested to Morrissey to reconsider some phrase in his lyrics ( i forget the particular song).
- Morrissey (reportedly) sings (and disappears) behind black curtains (on some tour of daily haircuts, inrockuptibles article, posted here)
- Morrissey on pacing himself between recording songs (3 or 4 songs/takes in one row ) 'its an emotional thing' he said in that (radio) interview
- songwriter (Nevin) recalls supressing laughter the first time he hears the 'red pullover' lyrics of 'Our Frank'
- and finally, Morrissey suggesting his ability to deliver his Morrissey-esque lyrics - to the unique quality of his singing voice, when asked if other artists could cover his songs (by Russel Brand).
I am sure there are many more nuggets out there....

On the input of producers on a record, Morrissey says (i paraphrase)
- a (good) producer knows (exactly) what to move around to (significantly) elevate the final quality of the output.

While I do not know which particular song(s) is in question here, Tony V displays an emotional insight of the artists mind at his first in-house expose or audition, if you like. When I consider his lyrics, their (often) personal content, the fact that his first 'sing' is the first in the ear of the band, layer that on with shyness, other-ness and -whatnots, it 'may' explain 'some' er.. peculiar Moz habits... frankly I wonder how doesn't opt to pipe vocals to the studio from his bedroom.....

A definite plus that Visconti and Morrissey get on together, as I can see how it easily could have gone downhill at any time during the process.
Great respect to both legends.

Tony Visconti - In Conversation (Live at Rough Trade East, 14/09/2023)

Don't have time to see if there's Morrissey references, but given the tracklisting of the upcoming album - maybe not.
FWD.

He talks about Ringleader at around the 1:03 mark in this video.

We need to listen to the unmastered version of the album ... ( I read that Emily lazar mastered the album ) I hope that Vic Anesini will remaster the album oneday ..
Agree - apart from 'Dear God Please Help Me', the album has been mastered so loud that every track has it's dynamics squished to death - it sounds terrible. I seem to recall that Visconti himself was due to remix/remaster the album himself a few years ago, but the release was scuppered when Morrissey fell out with whatever label he was with at the time.

He mentioned Morrissey in this interview:

Like Adam Ant, Morrissey is another one of those characters whose reputation precedes them a little bit, but you seemed to work quite harmoniously with him. Unfortunately, there’s nothing from the album [2006’s Ringleader of the Tormentors] on this collection, but how was your experience with Morrissey?

I don’t know why we didn’t get a Morrissey track. It could be that the licence holder said no. Or maybe he’s got plans to release a ‘best of’ Morrissey. I could see that. But again, people said that he’s difficult and to work with and all that, and I remember the first day I went into the studio with him and I went in cold. I didn’t have any pre-production. He’d had a producer already on that album, whom he sacked. And so, I inherited the backing tracks; we didn’t cut new tracks. And I started out with overdubbing guitars and building up the production and he was very bemused by it. He wouldn’t say much; he would sit in a studio and ponder everything that was going down, and he was just thinking very strongly about things. If he had something to say he’d say it in a very nice, soft spoken voice, but he never opposed me on anything. And the funniest time was when we came to doing the lead vocals. We waited until the very end, most of the band is left and he’s front of a microphone, and he said, “Now I only want you to tell me two things, whether I should sing louder or quieter”. He didn’t want to be coached. So by take one, or two, or three, I just said, “I think you could do another one, for me” and he said, “Why?” And I said something like, “Maybe you could give me one with little more energy, just to give me an alternative. So if I do a composite of your voice, I’ll have a few options. You never know, you might, sing a gem, something that’s really great that you haven’t done already”. And when I put it to him like that way, he was agreeable. I think a lot of producers really don’t know how to talk to artists, and he must have had a bad experience. The reason why I think I communicate well, with artists, including the most difficult ones, is because I had a musical career. And I thought record producers were horrible people. I was spoken to in the rudest manner, by some record producers, when I was sitting there playing guitar and singing and stuff like that, back in New York. And I vowed never ever to treat it artists like that. I think that’s why I’ve got a lot of respect from the people I’ve worked with. And there are testimonies in this box that book from people I work with. They’re confirming that I’m a cool guy to work with [laughs].

I didn't know producer Jeff Saltzman was fired by Morrissey.

Agree - apart from 'Dear God Please Help Me', the album has been mastered so loud that every track has it's dynamics squished to death - it sounds terrible. I seem to recall that Visconti himself was due to remix/remaster the album himself a few years ago, but the release was scuppered when Morrissey fell out with whatever label he was with at the time.
Agree.

Why Jeff couldn't achieve or undertake the project ?

Attachments

• capture-20231122-105135.png
    capture-20231122-105135.png
    26.9 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for sharing @Famous when dead and transcribing @Malarkey

I enjoyed reading this anecdote, Tony V starts so well, I am tickled from 'lead vocals' even before he lands - don't ask me why.
Perhaps because (for me) - it brings home all these little Morrissey song-writing nuggets that live in my head, er - rent-free btw
- Marr on the 'one' time he suggested to Morrissey to reconsider some phrase in his lyrics ( i forget the particular song).
Bruises bigger than dinner plates?

I think Marr suggested "Bruises as big as dinner plates" or something like that.

I think Marr suggested "Bruises as big as dinner plates" or something like that.
That's correct. Dismissed at the time, but it must have lodged somewhere as that's how Morrissey would perform the line later:

Back
Top Bottom