Sunny video

I love the song but the video is SO boring, surely they could have found reasonably attractive people to play those roles?

Actually, one thing that I quite like--and that quite interests me--about Morrissey videos is that, often, they feature actors who look like real people, rather than supermodels. The video for "Dagenham Dave" is a perfect example.

What I've heard is that the song is about Charles L. "Sonny" Liston who was a professional boxer who became world heavyweight champion in the 60's. Liston was one of the most powerful punchers and especially jabbers in the history of boxing.

The cause of Liston's death remains a mystery. The police declared it a heroin overdose, yet Liston was known to have a phobia regarding needles. Authorities found a puncture wound on Liston's right arm, a syringe near his body, and small bags of heroin inside his kitchen. Authorities thus ruled Liston's death a heroin overdose, although an autopsy showed only minute morphine and codeine levels in Liston's body; however too small for an apparent overdose.

Whether it's a comparison or literal I thought it was mentioning Sonny Liston the boxer who died of a heroin overdoes.

"With your jean belt wrapped around your arm oh Sunny my heart goes out to you"

Yeah what he said above. Sorry didn't see the 2nd page of replies till I wrote mine :)

Back
Top Bottom