Steve Wright Interview - PART 1

W

who cares?

SW: Morrissey is here. Now you know this is a thing because we saw each other, didn't we, about 5 or 6 years ago at a do and we were quite nice to each other, weren't we?

M: We were very nice to each other but I've seen you two times before that in Henley.

SW: Yeah?

M: I just passed you by. I thought if I tapped you on the shoulder you might be scared or something.

SW: I would be! (laughs)

M: Yes, I thought you might... Well you looked it, you looked it at the time, so... (laughs)

SW: What were you doing in Henley though?

M: Oh I have a fruit & veg shop there.

SW: Oh that's you there, with the fruit & veg! I've seen it, Morrissey's fruit & veg. (laughs)
So first of all, we had Nancy Sinatra in here and she was singing your praises and you were of course singing her praises big time, weren't you?

M: Yes, yes. I do have friends and they like me and Nancy's fantastic.

SW: Where did you meet her?

M: I met her a long time ago. She actually asked if she could meet me and I went to her hotel, in London, and we just became fantastic friends.

SW: And the material that you wrote for her, I noticed you both had the same single out at the same time.

M: It was released on the same day.

SW: How did that go?

M: It was planned that way.

SW: Really?

M: Yes.

SW: Why? What was the thinking behind that?

M: Well, I don't.... nothing really.... it was just amusing to have two songs, same song, same day, see what would happen.

SW: And what do you think DID happen?

M: Not a great deal in fact. (laughs) She entered at 46, I believe, and I entered at 8.

SW: Did you like her version more than yours?

M: Uh.... that's a very difficult question. Just as much as...

SW: Ok (laughs)

M: Just as much as.

SW: Yeah. Really good Glastonbury you did this year, if you don't mind me saying.

M: Well, I do, because I thought it was terrible.

SW: Why did you think it was terrible?

M: Cause it rained....

SW: Yeah....

M: And it was torrential. And it's very difficult to walk on a stage when the heavens have opened and everyone looks absolutely saturated. So it's difficult.

SW: But YOU gave a good performance. Do you not think?

M: Well, I never consider it to be a performance because it's just me really. But, you know, I try.

SW: Do you still enjoy performing as much as you ever did or....?

M: Performing.... SINGING. Singing on a stage.

SW: Yes.

M: Yes, I do, more so now.... that means more to me now than ever before. But I never view it as a performance, it's quite real for me.

SW: That's interesting. Why's it changing? Why does it mean more now than it did when you were in The Smiths or when you were starting out?

M: Because.... well because I actually really love to sing, but actually I'm not saying people like to listen to me but I really do love to sing.

SW: Well people do like to listen to you....

M: Well.....

SW: Do you sing around the house? Do you sing in the bath?

M: Oh yes, absolutely.

SW: What do you sing in the bath?

M: Absolutely....

SW: Everything? (laughs)

M: Just operatic. Everything, yes, yes.

SW: Are you happy with this iconic status that you have?

M: Well I think that word is thrown at virtually anybody these days, isn't it? Anybody who is known, is considered to be iconic.

SW: But in your case it's well deserved and it's true.

M: Yes, it is. (laughs) But when it's applied to people like Barbara Windsor, I'm not sure.... (everyone laughs)

SW: I think Barbara Windsor has written some good stuff!
Who is iconic in your eyes then would you say?

M: I think they've all passed over really. And I think that probably seals the whole iconic thing for me.

PART 2

SW: In the 80's, you represented a certain time, a certain vibe, an era. Now that it's almost at the end of 2004, how do you relate to people who like or dislike your music?

M: Well I think they are more passionate now, and also the people who dislike me are very passionate about disliking me. But that's a good sign for me because it means at least that you leave some kind of an impression.

SW: I was reading a review of a gig you did in 1998, 1999, I think in LA, and the reviewer was saying Morrissey is godlike to the people that are in the audience and to people that like him and that's true. You have a kind of a godlike status which is why we're nervous at meeting you and nervous at interviewing you.

M: Well I can't believe you're nervous. I mean you've met EVERYBODY surely in your life.

SW: Yeah, I know but......
Are you aware of that aura that you carry?

M: I am aware of it, yes.... (can't make out the rest)

SW: And do you think that people think you have a sense of humour about yourself and that you are, in fact, sending yourself up sometimes?

M: I think they know I do. And people who say that you don't have a sense of humour, simply means that you don't have THEIR sense of humour. So, yes, I think people know that many tongues and many cheeks.

SW: And in the past 20 years, when folk have said, well Morrissey - he's depressed the whole time, he's suicidal, his songs are meaningless or too meaningful, you would laugh at that?

M: Well I wouldn't laugh, but I can analyze it as being what they're really saying is that he's actually a real person, he's not like all these synthetic pop people, he actually is a real, living, breathing person and he's telling the truth. So it's a compliment, believe me, it really is.

SW: I believe you.

M: You don't believe me.

SW: I DO believe you. I've got a new single to play.

M: You shouldn't play it.

SW: I knew you would say it.

M: Is it your new single?

SW: I know you've got all my singles. (laughs)

M: They make fantastic ashtrays. (laughs)

SW: I know they do. (laughs)
I'm gonna play it now..... where is it though? Oh it's up here.

M: You're sitting on it.

SW: Here it is. I've Forgotten Jesus. Now this is from the album, yeah?

SW: And this is gonna be the last single from the album, is that right?

SW: No more after this?

M: No more.

SW: Is that your decision or somebody else's?

M: It's governmental decision.

SW: Ok. I Have FORGIVEN Jesus, I beg your pardon, is coming up. We'll be right back with Morrissey.

PART 3

SW: Hang the DJ was about Tony Blackburn but there was another song about me.

M: Oh there's been many about you.

SW: And.... (get's interrupted by a third person asking: excuse me, you can't let that go, so which ones in particular are about him?)

M: Oh it's too numerous to mention.

SW: Would it be that you just didn't get me? And that you now understand. Or that you don't understand.

M: Oh I've always understood you.

SW: Yeah, you know where I'm coming from, cause I know where you're coming from.

M: Yes, do you? Where?

SW: It might be somewhere north London, ain't it! (everyone laughs) But what was it you didn't like about me?

M: Uh nothing. Nothing at all. I mean, did I ever say the song was about you?

SW: No, you didn't.

M: No, but all the people did.

SW: We used to rebuke, and you used to rebus, it's no big deal really.

M: It's not really because you can take it in good part, I think.

SW: Yeah. Did it upset you though? I mean going back to the 80's, 90's, because people did rebuke, people DO rebuke.

M: Yeah I don't mind. I really don't mind. Because not everybody is intelligent, so you can't really consider that every view is terribly in-depth, so I mean people are silly, and the press are very, very silly, but they're silly to everybody. The music press are absolutely silly. So, the world is silly, in fact.

SW: Are there times when you might read something or see something or hear something and you make a conscious decision to write a song about that or about them?

M: No, absolutely not. I think I have a balanced view of everything. I think the media are insane and the world is insane. You must've noticed.

SW: Well, I wasn't gonna talk about the war in Iraq but I mean I can imagine..... I HAVE noticed! I wanted to know what your feelings were about Iraq and about George W?

M: I think it's obscene and a thousand Americans have died and that's completely obscene. There's no reason for it at all and he'll pick on somewhere else quite soon. If he didn't have somewhere to bomb and people to kill, what would he do?

SW: I remember that George Michael made a bit of a musical stand. I don't remember you doing that.

M: Well, no I haven't. I mean I don't really like charity records and things like that. But if people ask me, I'll tell them how I feel.

SW: What about lyrics, I've read that if something strikes you as interesting or funny or intelligent, you jot something down, you keep a notebook wherever you are and you bring it back in a lyric?

M: That's absolutely true, yes.

SW: And is that the way you always write?

M: Yes. It's not something I really about, it leads me.

SW: Do you strive to write, what I always call, Alan Bennett kitchen-sinky type messages?

M: No, not really. Because I think I have a similar background to him and the northern background is very, very similar, so that must seem quite distinct to a southerner.

SW: No, I mean I think it's, well it's relatable, ordinariness and it's very appealing, isn't it, and relatable.
I always think that you probably see yourself as a poet, which is what you are really.

M: Well, that's very kind of you.

SW: Would that be how you see yourself?

M: Well, it's not really for me to say, is it? I mean, it's for other people to say, but I strive to.

SW: But folk that don't see you as a poet, probably are in the "don't get it" family.

M: Absolutely, yeah. And let them remain there.

SW: Absolutely. (laughs) Why did we have to wait 7 years for the studio album? What have you been doing, jotting notes in LA for 7 years?

M: No, not really, I mean life has gone on, I played live and so forth, but I didn't have a label for a while and so I didn't release anything.

SW: Do you want people to come and see you that have known you for 20 years and known your stuff or are you interested in acquiring the new audience?

M: Well, I don't stay at the box office and vet people. Anybody who wants to walk in is very welcomed.

SW: But in the back of your mind, or in the front of your mind, would you like to look out and see a half and half?

M: Well, I do. I mean there's lots of very small people there, very young people, and there's lots of people who are as old as I am.

SW: It's interesting because my 18 year old son has got that album of greatest hits. Knew nothing about The Smiths, knew nothing about you and all of his friends are saying "Who's this guy Morrissey? His songs are astounding. The lyrics are astounding."

M: See?

SW: No but seriously, that must feel great. That must feel fantastic!

M: It's very heartwarming. It really is. I told you in the 80's and you wouldn't listen.

SW: But you must also hear new tracks occasionally, we've influenced.

M: Yes, yes.

SW: And does that make you proud or pleased?

M: Yeah and I hear a great deal these days. I think so much has changed and it's very familiar to me shall we say. So it seems as if I have influenced people which is incredible to me. It's fantastic. And interestingly, they all sell more than I do. It's fascinating.

SW: What goes around comes around.

M: Not necessarily.

SW: What are you doing for Christmas?

M: Just avoiding Christmas of course, like all intelligent people. It's not the best time of year for me. I find it slightly grotesque. Just get through it really. About January the 10th I'm relieved.

SW: Are you here or in America?

M: I'm.... one or the other.

SW: Don't be specific now. (laughs) I Have Forgiven Jesus is out today. Morrissey everybody.

"Rebuke" or "rib you"?

Who cares, thank you so much for transcribing the interview. But that one bit where Wright is asking Moz about his detractors, I think they're saying "rib you". That's how I'm hearing it anyway, but I'm a clueless Yank so I could well be mistaken

Re: "Rebuke" or "rib you"?

> Who cares, thank you so much for transcribing the interview. But that one
> bit where Wright is asking Moz about his detractors, I think they're
> saying "rib you". That's how I'm hearing it anyway, but I'm a
> clueless Yank so I could well be mistaken

No no I think you're right! I've listened again and it does sound more like "rib you" Hmmm

CORRECTION

SW: We used to RIB YOU, and you used to RIB US, it's no big deal really.

M: It's not really because you can take it in good part, I think.

SW: Yeah. Did it upset you though? I mean going back to the 80's, 90's, because people did RIB YOU, people DO RIB YOU.

Back
Top Bottom