Social Security Question

M

MuteWitness616

Out of curiosity, is there a way to sell a social security number?
Maybe some unfortunate Mexican can come to America illegally with one.

If so, about how much can you sell a social security number for and where?

Sorry, if this is a stupid question.

-Chris

Out of curiosity, is there a way to sell a social security number?
Maybe some unfortunate Mexican can come to America illegally with one.

Sorry, if this is a stupid question.

-Chris

I'm not a lawyer, but if you're caught you'll be sentenced fraud, either heavily fined or sent to a prison.

No, you can't "sell" one legally: they can't be created, only given out.

Using an alive person's number is identity theft, and illegal. Pointless, too, as it would be found out and the person who stole it and used it would go to FEDERAL prison.

Using a dead person's number is pointless. You can find millions of those for free. :rolleyes:

WHY do you need to know this??? It's an odd question.

cause me and my friend were having a debate over it.

You can't sell a real person's SSN to like some illegal place and get money and then they could just do whatever with it?

The story is my friend says, you can't sell them and I said, i'm sure you can to like little hidden places in bad neighborhoods and they can like do all these things with it and bring like a illegal immigrant to the US and then they pay the people, and like you wont have nothing to do with it, you just sold it and the people that bought it do whatever with it.

Usually about 500$ USD in Huntington Park, CA.

....Or so I've read.:guitar:

Edit: My Dad said, "Depends what you want. The ID/Social Security combo is about 80-100$ tops."

Trust me... he knows what he's talking about. :guitar:

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually about 500$ USD in Huntington Park, CA.

....Or so I've read.:guitar:

Edit: My Dad said, "Depends what you want. The ID/Social Security combo is about 80-100$ tops."

Trust me... he knows what he's talking about. :guitar:

i think those are usually for the SSNs of dead people :cool:
which means, when you get caught, you either get deported or sent to jail
& there have been people stripped of their American citizenship for being involved in such traffic
especially since 9/11 :straightface:
seems the Homeland Security believes that terrorists are very likely to seek to have SSNs, this helps them pass routine security checks...

i think those are usually for the SSNs of dead people :cool:
which means, when you get caught, you either get deported or sent to jail
& there have been people stripped of their American citizenship for being involved in such traffic
especially since 9/11 :straightface:
seems the Homeland Security believes that terrorists are very likely to seek to have SSNs, this helps them pass routine security checks...

Hey my Dad didn't. :guitar:

you should not go around telling other people that dude :straightface:
it could just mean he cut a deal with them :cool:
sorry :eek:

I have no problem with it. He's been a full citizen for about 9 years now.

Hahah and to think, all the trouble my family went to to sneak into this country and i'm about to relinquish my citizenship. :guitar:

Oh, where to begin...?

It is WAY illegal. But yes, it's done all the time. The question is, what happens when the problem becomes discovered?

As for the buyer, the individual is usually an undocumented alien, which means they have a bigger problem to worry about, i.e., deportation. But in other cases, the undocumented alien may eventually become a legal resident/citizen. Then, the problem is, what happens to those earned credits in terms of social security benefits and such?

As for the seller, if the seller is doing it on a mass scale, that's obviously a federal offense. But for the individual seller who sells his/her lone SS number, it simply becomes a matter of proof. You could claim ignorance, and you might get away with it. But if the buyer rats you out, and there's sufficient documentation of that transaction, you can get prosecuted for having committed a federal offense.

Back
Top Bottom