Reel Around The Fountain - The Smiths On Tour 1984

Irregular Regular

Forget my fate.
I have just uploaded this rarely seen footage of The Smiths on tour.
It was filmed at the Sheffield City Hall on 19th March 1984 and includes several minutes of backstage footage.
The quality is not brilliant but it still very watchable.

As ever, those who have seen this before please feel free to ignore this post.
Those who haven't, I hope you enjoy watching these clips.

Cheers,

I.R.

Last edited by a moderator:
that 'slap me on the patio' lyric... does anyone know what he meant by that? i have some ideas but they may be rubbish, so if anyone knows and can tell me that would be great.

that 'slap me on the patio' lyric... does anyone know what he meant by that? i have some ideas but they may be rubbish, so if anyone knows and can tell me that would be great.

He likes it rough?

I have just uploaded this rarely seen footage of The Smiths on tour.
It was filmed at the Sheffield City Hall on 19th March 1984 and includes several minutes of backstage footage.
The quality is not brilliant but it still very watchable.

As ever, those who have seen this before please feel free to ignore this post.
Those who haven't, I hope you enjoy watching these clips.

Cheers,

I.R.

Nice to hear the theme from Animal Magic.

Last edited by a moderator:
fair enough, but what's the patio got to do with it? i'm thinking there must be a reason for that.

The patio leading onto the garden/"fountain", perhaps?

I think the "fountain" is metaphorical! So I suspect the "patio" is as well.

I agree on "fountain", but I have no idea what "patio" could be a euphemism for [..]

Edit: Is he asking to have his bum smacked?
Slap me on the patio?

I'll get me coat..

I agree on "fountain", but I have no idea what "patio" could be a euphemism for [..]

Edit: Is he asking to have his bum smacked?
Slap me on the patio?

I'll get me coat..

Yes! Don't worry. It took me years to get it too.

Yes! Don't worry. It took me years to get it too.

Who else but Morrissey could make a song about oral sex sound so... poetic?
Thinking about it, I think Moz might be slightly obsessed with that topic... Handsome Devil, Something is Squeezing My Skull, These Things Take Time etc. "Celibate", as if.

Who else but Morrissey could make a song about oral sex sound so... poetic?
Thinking about it, I think Moz might be slightly obsessed with that topic... Handsome Devil, Something is Squeezing My Skull, These Things Take Time etc. "Celibate", as if.

I was thinking precisely the same - "bullet in the gullet", etc, etc. Someone should start a thread so we can collect all Morrissey's references to the, er, oral arts.

Puts a whole new slant on "Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together"...

for your interest

I was thinking precisely the same - "bullet in the gullet", etc, etc. Someone should start a thread so we can collect all Morrissey's references to the, er, oral arts.

Actually it's already done in here

Well I never put that spin on "bullet in his gullet" - I thought that was meant literally, given the context of a gang shooting, but who knows?
I'm still not over "the motion of taxis excites me when you peel it back and bite me".

and...:lbf: I'm not even going there with Angel, Angel.. although I read he took the title from a film called "Angel, Angel, Down We Go"?

Re: for your interest

Thanks for uploading these IR - I've never seen them before.

In terms of 'slap me on the patio' didn't he also sing 'shag me on the patio' from time to time? Problem solved. It is probably the basis for the theory that Morrissey writes sex songs whereas everyone else writes love songs.

Dave

cat_fiddle_pub.jpg

:p

ok, so there's some sex involved, but why on the patio?

i thought it might be a comment on the increasing number of patios in Britian at the time and prim people all conforming to the trend of putting in a patio to keep up with the neighbours. i thought he might be associating a patio with a somewhat seedy encounter to upset those people.

Back
Top Bottom