Question about Revelation

Daddy Cool

Dodgy Fool-san
Where did it come from and why was it "released" only on vinyl? Is it normal for a bootleg to be released on vinyl in 2010? Surely it must be a lot more expensive making vinyl records than burning a few CDs. And, if the person who put it all together was looking to make money selling them, surely he/she would make more money if it was available on CD.

This is my guess - vinyl holds its value in a way that CDs no longer do, for aesthetic, nostalgic and technological reasons. Vinyl collecting is gaining in popularity - there was a 33% increase in collectible vinyl sales in 2009 from 2008 figures (see http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/07/arts/music/07sales.html?scp=1&sq=vinyl&st=cse). Since Revelation would mostly appeal to fans, whoever put the bootleg together was shrewd to create an attractive, well-packaged, collectible piece. I read elsewhere on the forums that some copies were in colored vinyl - that would also make the piece more "collectible" and thus of greater long-term value to fans. (I bought two!):)

I wondered about this a cd release would surely be more profitable. if the bootlegers are just out to make a quick buck. Anyone any idea how this works, does a vinyl only release slip under the radar and not worthy of a record company lawsuit?

I'm pretty sure that the intention of whom made this bootleg is - obviously - create something rare, even if fans can download it, the bootleg is almost rare.

As many of these tracks can be downloaded (from which you could burn your own CD--or even many), the vinyl is a more unique, non-reproducable package. (Just a shade-different from some ideas posted above.....)

Back
Top Bottom