Positive Percy vs Negative Nancy

crull

Is anyone else finding people are being quite polarised about percieved positive and negative attitudes these days? I've got a lot of friends who used to take a real interest in trying to contribute to making changes in the world to support those folks who have it rough. But this has changed in the last few years and being a pro-active liberal seems to be associated in the national press with being 'negative' and a 'doom-mongerer now'. This concerns me a bit, cause it sounds like a way of saying 'join in or be quiet' to me, not a healthy attitude. YOUR ANGER IS A GIFT!

This is a bit of a rant, do you know what i mean though, is anyone else being told to stop suggesting that this country is fairly unjust for the reasons that people just don't want to hear it?

I might have to play Nizlopi at everyone who does this to me, relentlessly positive but motivating :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0jik2Vd88g

YOUR ANGER IS A GIFT!

That is a wonderful observation.

Anger and grief can give rise to wonderful things, if you know how to channel them effectively, and in the right direction.

In times of great national strife people want to be reassured, not disturbed. That is why war is a great political tool - it makes the naysayers look dangerous, and the cheerleaders look like saviors, even though it is often the other way around.

I've always believed in the power of positive negativity.

:D

Which country anyway?

Is anyone else finding people are being quite polarised about percieved positive and negative attitudes these days? I've got a lot of friends who used to take a real interest in trying to contribute to making changes in the world to support those folks who have it rough. But this has changed in the last few years and being a pro-active liberal seems to be associated in the national press with being 'negative' and a 'doom-mongerer now'. This concerns me a bit, cause it sounds like a way of saying 'join in or be quiet' to me, not a healthy attitude. YOUR ANGER IS A GIFT!

This is a bit of a rant, do you know what i mean though, is anyone else being told to stop suggesting that this country is fairly unjust for the reasons that people just don't want to hear it?

I might have to play Nizlopi at everyone who does this to me, relentlessly positive but motivating :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0jik2Vd88g

The fight is over. One side won, one side lost. Those who have lost the will to struggle, like your friends, are merely acknowledging the cold truth. Opposition to the machine no longer exists so we have rage instead.

By the way it was Lydon who said it best: "ANGAH IZ UHN EN-AHR-JAY!"

The fight is over. One side won, one side lost. Those who have lost the will to struggle, like your friends, are merely acknowledging the cold truth. Opposition to the machine no longer exists so we have rage instead.

By the way it was Lydon who said it best: "ANGAH IZ UHN EN-AHR-JAY!"

Also keep in mind that as you get older your self-perceived activism (not you personally Worm) must take a back seat to your responsibilities. You can argue that you can incorporate the two in some way but be realistic. Family comes first.

At the age of 23 I was enrolling in plans to divert my income towards my retirement so I am comfortable when I decide to leave the work force. Next week I am attending a seminar for a newer program that would enable to me to retire at 55. (I am 32 now).

What is important to me? Is it materialistic to say that I use my disposable income towards interests in energy stocks and other utilities? I am thinking of finally settling down and if I find someone that I want to marry and raise a family with, I want them to be provided for.

The thing is we all understand people have problems,
but what really pisses me off is people who talk about
their problems on and on and when good suggestions are made
about how they might try to solve them, they
just change the subject or else worse that that, they go on
with a whole other list of problems.

I had a very odd experience recently when I asked this lady
over for coffee (admittedly I don't know her that well, so I suppose
this is what I get for being nice) and she stood at my doorstep and quizzed me whether I had a dog or a cat, whereupon I told her
that I do indeed have a cat. She went on to say that she had an
extreme phobia of dogs and cats and couldn't be around them and asked me if I could put my cat out. I was not happy as it was forty degrees celsius that day. Now that's a real Negative Nancy!:guitar:

Also keep in mind that as you get older your self-perceived activism (not you personally Worm) must take a back seat to your responsibilities. You can argue that you can incorporate the two in some way but be realistic. Family comes first.

At the age of 23 I was enrolling in plans to divert my income towards my retirement so I am comfortable when I decide to leave the work force. Next week I am attending a seminar for a newer program that would enable to me to retire at 55. (I am 32 now).

What is important to me? Is it materialistic to say that I use my disposable income towards interests in energy stocks and other utilities? I am thinking of finally settling down and if I find someone that I want to marry and raise a family with, I want them to be provided for.

I think the saying "The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world". (I think most of us here know that adage, at least partially.)

Different times demand different measures. At present I believe that more can be done in the home than in the streets.

But after watching Mrs. Adams stoically provide for her little chitluns while Mr. Adams was away in Philadelphia in the occasionally boring but undeniably gripping "John Adams" miniseries, it is also perhaps relevant to point out that sometimes one best serves one's family by looking at the world beyond.

Anyway, as Paul Giammati's Adams proves, activism can be a damn good time with the right wig.

Last edited:
That is a wonderful observation.

heh, can't claim credit for it sadly, is Rage Against The Machine i believe.

The fight is over. One side won, one side lost. Those who have lost the will to struggle, like your friends, are merely acknowledging the cold truth

See, in my heart of hearts, this exact point is eating away at me as being true. I think we have let things get very bad, but there does seem so much potential for people to use strength in numbers to solve problems.

Understandably and painfully true. It is COMPLETELY justifiable to put your family first (so please don't think i'm trying to have a go at anyone by saying this), but its also often what leads us to be politcally neutered in the end. What Worm says:

it is also perhaps relevant to point out that sometimes one best serves one's family by looking at the world beyond.

is so right, yet so much harder to put into practise (practice?) than it is to acknowledge it's correctness.

Punk music is amazing and I'm not quite so sure it would've happened if people were trying to be so twee about things.
However negative views/anger can also make people strive towards change etc.
So yes, anger is a gift.

A good thread, for once:) Thank you, crull

thanks a lot :) am relatively new on here so your timing with that is excellent.

Its cool to see that people have strong views about these attitudes, there's certainly reassurance in knowing which opinions people have at least considered, whether it's lead them to act in some way or not

See, in my heart of hearts, this exact point is eating away at me as being true. I think we have let things get very bad, but there does seem so much potential for people to use strength in numbers to solve problems.

Genghis Khan had strength in numbers, too. It's not enough to be angry and/or have great numbers, although those are obviously important. By far the most vital part of the equation is changing how people think, first to recruit them to the cause, and then to make sure that any victories won are kept. Many people have lost hope because they instinctively know that their activity will have little or no effect on the powers that be. As Iraq illustrates, the plan for the peace is often more important than the strategy to win the war.

There are any number of things we can do to help the causes we support, but education is the one area we can all work in because it falls within the realm of the individual's home and family. Some problems are of course catastrophes and must be dealt with right away, but if we really want to change the world we should think in terms of brains, not bullets, and decades, not years.

Anyway, as Paul Giammati's Adams proves, activism can be a damn good time with the right wig.

I don't know if I can watch Pig Vomit as John Adams, is it good? The poster alone sent me into paroxysms in the post office. Please tell me they're planning a sequel with Philip Seymour Hoffman as Ben Franklin.

I don't know if I can watch Pig Vomit as John Adams, is it good? The poster alone sent me into paroxysms in the post office. Please tell me they're planning a sequel with Philip Seymour Hoffman as Ben Franklin.

Well, as I said there are some dull spots. It's really a lot of scenes in which wigged men yell at each other. Sort of like Morrissey-Solo but without emoticons.

If you have an interest in American history I think you'll like it. There are some excellent, spine-tingling moments of dramatized history that make the whole thing worthwhile. It isn't the usual low-budget PBS behemoth that comes out on 18 VHS tapes. Humor is sprinkled here and there, and you never feel they're taking liberties with the facts. Pig Vomit is indeed wonderful-- even better is that quipster Ben Franklin, although I agree PSH would've been a great addition to the cast.

Genghis Khan had strength in numbers, too. It's not enough to be angry and/or have great numbers, although those are obviously important. By far the most vital part of the equation is changing how people think, first to recruit them to the cause, and then to make sure that any victories won are kept.

There are any number of things we can do to help the causes we support, but education is the one area we can all work in because it falls within the realm of the individual's home and family

Just so it's clear, i agree with these points. By strength in numbers i meant what you've written there about recruitment and maintainance of collectives / unions of sorts, etc. I fear 'the mob'.

Back
Top Bottom