Now my heart is full (San Diego, 12/14/99)

T

Triple M (Mani)

What a show!!! The '98 show at Hospitality Point was not very hospitable, but this time around, I feel that I got more than my money's worth. I went to this show with almost a laxed attitude. "I'm too old to be a Morrissey fanatic" "If the show is good, the show is good--no need to expect anything historical". I didn't expect it to affect me in any way possible. I've seen him before, so I didn't see any point in going ape@#!!! this time.

I was wrong. The man still has it, and I should've never lost faith. The admiration I lost had once again been rekindled. Possibly, for good.

My only complaint is with SACK. I think SACK really SUCKed. But, that's just my opinion, as with the healthy applause they recieved, many will disagree with me.

Alain looked as cool as ever. I was surprised to see him look so energized. From the looks of him, the back spasms aren't seemingly gonna relapse anytime soon. And, he looked as youthful as ever; recent pictures had him looking a bit like Andrew Dice Clay, but he definetly looked great tonight. With his Bigsby-equipped Les Paul, he really brought the house down.

Morrissey didn't look that bad, either. Albeit, I'm still convinced he has grey hairs, and he's looking sorta like Reed Richards from the Fantastic Four. I didn't see that much weight on him. Yet, I'm wondering if he still has very much energy anymore. His voice was still intact, but he didn't do all of the trademark dances that I expected to see. Is he starting to slow down?

I need not discuss the set. It was perfect, and not one song on the list disappointed. Not even the MP3s prepared me for their rendition of "Meat is Murder". Arguably, this version rivals the Smiths' version. Whereas, the recording had a sad overtone, the band made the song angrier, more aggressive. That is the way I believe the song should've been all along.

As always, "Speedway" turned up my fav. The band played with a passion and honesty that almost equals the recording. During the song, I was tempted to make some sort of contact with Morrissey, in memory of my late ex-girlfriend. I surfed towards the stage and though I didn't make it onstage, he did extend a handshake behind the barricade. Finally, after many years, I made some sort of contact with him. Robyn would've been proud.

This show was a true gem. Not everyone was there, but anyone who stayed home to watch NBC should know that this was worth thirty bucks. The weather wasn't a factor this time [it was indoors]. The show wasn't 10 songs like last time. And, Morrisey was obviously more into the audience, communicating as much as possible, and embracing them with all of his heart.

This was the only show I planned to see this tour. Maybe he did a better one in another city, or another tour. But, this was the one that did it for me.

Now MY heart is full.

....take that back....Morrissey should take it to the next level--give Johnny a phone call, already!!!

Re: Now my heart is full of Disapointment!

> I was wrong. The man still has it, and I should've never lost
> faith. The admiration I lost had once again been rekindled.
> Possibly, for good.

Oh don't worry Morrissey has the ability to dissapoint the most true blue fan... Give it time...

> My only complaint is with SACK. I think SACK really SUCKed. But,
> that's just my opinion, as with the healthy applause they
> recieved, many will disagree with me.

They really SUCK, I would much rather have no opening act and a cheaper ticket price!

> Alain looked as cool as ever.

I really think he lacks the basic talent and creative spark to back up Morrissey... I find it sad that Morrissey would rather have someone he can eaisly command over someone with true skill.

> Morrissey didn't look that bad

Morrissey looks better than EVER! He has taken on that dapper distinguished look... Far more pleasing to the eye, than when his akwardness showed in his 20s when he was in the Smiths...

> ....take that back....Morrissey should take it to the next
> level--give Johnny a phone call, already!!!

That would be nothing but a let down, they are not in love with each others art anymore... That Magic is gone forever...

However, ever since Morrissey went solo he has lacked a creative music partner... and he really does need to find one, and give up on these talentless teddy boys that cater to his most musically self destructive whims.

oh well that's my 2 cents for today...

> Oh don't worry Morrissey has the ability to dissapoint the most
> true blue fan... Give it time...

> They really SUCK, I would much rather have no opening act and a
> cheaper ticket price!

> I really think he lacks the basic talent and creative spark to
> back up Morrissey... I find it sad that Morrissey would rather
> have someone he can eaisly command over someone with true skill.

> Morrissey looks better than EVER! He has taken on that dapper
> distinguished look... Far more pleasing to the eye, than when
> his akwardness showed in his 20s when he was in the Smiths...

> That would be nothing but a let down, they are not in love with
> each others art anymore... That Magic is gone forever...

> However, ever since Morrissey went solo he has lacked a creative
> music partner... and he really does need to find one, and give
> up on these talentless teddy boys that cater to his most
> musically self destructive whims.

> oh well that's my 2 cents for today...

And here's my two cents...
Why are you such a bitch? Alain is very talented, but I suppose that you have never tried to play a guitar and obviously have no idea what you are talking about.If you are so disappointed, why do you even bother going?

> And here's my two cents...
> Why are you such a bitch? Alain is very talented, but I suppose
> that you have never tried to play a guitar and obviously have no
> idea what you are talking about.If you are so disappointed, why
> do you even bother going?

No, I have played a tune here in there on guitar... I don't claim to be good or anything, but I do claim to be able to spot talent and creative flair, of which Alain has none.

I guess that's just the rub, for as much as I have been disapointed in Morrissey over the last 9 years, with his steady decline in good tunes, I must say I am disapointed in myslef for staying a loyal fan. And that's just it, that's all I am, a loyal fan who buys all the cds, and goes to the Shows and I amdit there have been a few bright tracks in a sea of slop.

What gets me is that Morrissey has lost most of his old fans and they have been replaced with these sycophants who think everything is so wonderfull and all these 3rd rate songs are so witty, and his 10th rate band is so talented. These people seem as bad as any brain-washed cult member. It makes me so sad that that Morrissey encourgages this, the very man who I once thought was bright and crafty, and would have be repulsed by the behaviour that he is now steeped so deeply in.

that's all...

I almost totally agree with Caligula's comments. The majority of the current fans seem immersed in this trend driven thing, where Morrissey is simply an accessory. Everyone is playing the part of the outsider - it's kind of hard when 85% of the crowd is dressed for the role. It's stupid. I also agree about the current music - blindly sucking up anything with his name on it, without any true evaluation of what you're listening to. Might as well be listening to mainstream crap if that's as much effort as you put into selecting what you listen to. I think the true fans, the long term ones, the ones Morrissey would be smart to keep, are the ones who aren't afraid to intelligently critique the music he puts out. What the hell is wrong with that? Keep him on his toes...

> I almost totally agree with Caligula's comments. The majority of
> the current fans seem immersed in this trend driven thing, where
> Morrissey is simply an accessory. Everyone is playing the part
> of the outsider - it's kind of hard when 85% of the crowd is
> dressed for the role. It's stupid. I also agree about the
> current music - blindly sucking up anything with his name on it,
> without any true evaluation of what you're listening to. Might
> as well be listening to mainstream crap if that's as much effort
> as you put into selecting what you listen to. I think the true
> fans, the long term ones, the ones Morrissey would be smart to
> keep, are the ones who aren't afraid to intelligently critique
> the music he puts out. What the hell is wrong with that? Keep
> him on his toes...

I see both sides here. but to say Alain has no talent is really a crime. Speedway, We hate it when, November spawned, your gonna need, etc. he has written some wonderful songs and has beautiful voice on top of that. Perhaps the morrissey/whyte thing is coming to an end. I couldn't say. I do believe that Vauxhall was wonderful, same for Arsenal, but maladjusted and southpaw are not as good, to me. I've been there from the beginning and if I ever feel as you do, i will just drop out and remember when, but I would never criticize others for still believing the dream. It's wrong for you to try to force others to agree with your sentiments. if you don't like what he is doing, and really loved his past work, then out of respect you should hush up and let everyone enjoy what you say you once heard.

hnia

> What gets me is that Morrissey has lost most of his old fans and
> they have been replaced with these sycophants who think
> everything is so wonderfull and all these 3rd rate songs are so
> witty, and his 10th rate band is so talented. These people seem
> as bad as any brain-washed cult member. It makes me so sad that
> that Morrissey encourgages this, the very man who I once thought
> was bright and crafty, and would have be repulsed by the
> behaviour that he is now steeped so deeply in.

In many ways Morrissey doesn't mature, he still has a lot of silly hangups. That's why you see once loyal fans getting tired of him and being replaced by young gangstas. Morrissey woos these gangstas by talking about Mexico a lot. I didn't bother going because I knew Buff & Angel would be more entertaining (I preferred the quiet--"HUSH.")

I also agree with Caligula, Moz does need a strong person to work out the music. His lyrics are as strong as ever, but we all know the music and players are lacking a bit. And a lot of the die hard Smiths fans I knew have completely turned their back on Morrissey.

Let's look at it CD by CD
Viva Hate - Only 2 weaker tracks "Bengali In Platforms" & "The Ordinary Boys" It's just as strong as any Smiths CD and all the b-sides were great!

Bona Drag - Even though it was a collection of Viva Hate b-sides and post Viva Hate singles, it was a splended collection with only 1 weak track "Piccadilly Palare"

Kill Uncle - This is where things went down hill fast
"Our Frank", "Mute Witness", "The Harsh Truth Of The Camera Eye" were the only good tracks on this CD

YOUR ARSENAL - This was the 1st time I thought he has lost it
"Tomorrow" was the only great song on this cd, and all the B-sides were really really weak.

VAUXHALL AND I - "Now My Heart Is Full", "Spring-Heeled Jim" are both great tracks, the rest of the disc is complete garbage, his worst CD to date!

SOUTHPAW GRAMMAR - Oh did I say Vauxhall is the worst, I'm sorry he out did himself with Southpaw, "The Teachers Are Afraid Of The Pupils" is the only track I can listen to on this CD

The Sunny CD Single - What could I say buy WOW! 3 great tracks, I was very very anxious to hear more...

MALADJUSTED - another pile of crap, but not any worse than Vaux or Southpaw. "Maladjusted", "Roy's Keen", "Sorrow Will Come In The End"
"Satan Rejected My Soul" these are all very good songs...

I think those of us to did hang in there may be disapointed, but we know that his lyrics have never died, just the music, and it's all just a matter of Moz saying to himself "Hey, I may have these guys that will do anything I say, but I'm long over due to work with a true talent, that may disagree with me at times."

Cheers from Choco!

> I see both sides here. but to say Alain has no talent is really
> a crime. Speedway, We hate it when, November spawned, your gonna
> need, etc. he has written some wonderful songs and has beautiful
> voice on top of that. Perhaps the morrissey/whyte thing is
> coming to an end. I couldn't say. I do believe that Vauxhall was
> wonderful, same for Arsenal, but maladjusted and southpaw are
> not as good, to me. I've been there from the beginning and if I
> ever feel as you do, i will just drop out and remember when, but
> I would never criticize others for still believing the dream.
> It's wrong for you to try to force others to agree with your
> sentiments. if you don't like what he is doing, and really loved
> his past work, then out of respect you should hush up and let
> everyone enjoy what you say you once heard.

> hnia

I don't understand why "young gangstas" would find any appeal with Moz
nor do I understand why Moz would want to attract these "young gangsta" types to his fan base. It's really all kinda scarry.

Cheers, Choco

> In many ways Morrissey doesn't mature, he still has a lot of
> silly hangups. That's why you see once loyal fans getting tired
> of him and being replaced by young gangstas. Morrissey woos
> these gangstas by talking about Mexico a lot. I didn't bother
> going because I knew Buff & Angel would be more entertaining
> (I preferred the quiet--"HUSH.")

> I see both sides here. but to say Alain has no talent is really
> a crime. Speedway, We hate it when, November spawned, your gonna
> need, etc. he has written some wonderful songs and has beautiful
> voice on top of that. Perhaps the morrissey/whyte thing is
> coming to an end. I couldn't say. I do believe that Vauxhall was
> wonderful, same for Arsenal, but maladjusted and southpaw are
> not as good, to me. I've been there from the beginning and if I
> ever feel as you do, i will just drop out and remember when, but
> I would never criticize others for still believing the dream.
> It's wrong for you to try to force others to agree with your
> sentiments. if you don't like what he is doing, and really loved
> his past work, then out of respect you should hush up and let
> everyone enjoy what you say you once heard.

> hnia

urrmm, Alain didn't write "November", it was by one of his older alumni

Re: Now my heart is full of Disapointment!-Third rate lyrics as your tittle?!?

I'm sick people like you who think know it all. Whose to say that The Smiths would sound as they once did if they still existed? Why does everything have to remain the same? Can things evolve/change over time?

Personally, I don't think Alain nor Boz are bad at all. It is just a different musical style as The Smiths or Viva Hate, that's all (I happen to like it).

Then about the fans… Why do you care who the fans are? Fans are fans, aren't they? As long as they are not annoying at concerts, I have no problem with anyone being a fan. This weekend in San Francisco I saw people helping each other get up, peacefully tearing up Morrissey's shirt so every fighting for it got a piece, offering water to others etc. To me that it is what it is all about, if people are cool and don't annoy me, I have problem with them no matter who they are. Why do you want to us fit a special stereotype that you've created in your mind? Look at us (I love that picture), we are not interested in conforming to your ideals of what a Morrissey fan should be like. Why do you have the stupid mentality that Morrissey is only for people like you? You know what, I don't want to be like you. I think his new songs and his band are 1st rate. Call me stupid, call me irrational, say I have no intellect but hey I'm not interested in pleasing you (neither is Morrissey as a matter of fact). I'm fine being myself, but I still want to listen to Morrissey. Do I have your permission? HA!

Morrissey is for anyone that enjoys his music.

thegang.jpg

Re: Now my heart is full of Disapointment!-Third rate lyrics as your tittle?!?

> I'm sick people like you who think know it all. Whose to say
> that The Smiths would sound as they once did if they still
> existed? Why does everything have to remain the same? Can things
> evolve/change over time?

> Personally, I don't think Alain nor Boz are bad at all. It is
> just a different musical style as The Smiths or Viva Hate,
> that's all (I happen to like it).

> Then about the fans… Why do you care who the fans are? Fans are
> fans, aren't they? As long as they are not annoying at concerts,
> I have no problem with anyone being a fan. This weekend in San
> Francisco I saw people helping each other get up, peacefully
> tearing up Morrissey's shirt so every fighting for it got a
> piece, offering water to others etc. To me that it is what it is
> all about, if people are cool and don't annoy me, I have problem
> with them no matter who they are. Why do you want to us fit a
> special stereotype that you've created in your mind? Look at us
> (I love that picture), we are not interested in conforming to
> your ideals of what a Morrissey fan should be like. Why do you
> have the stupid mentality that Morrissey is only for people like
> you? You know what, I don't want to be like you. I think his new
> songs and his band are 1st rate. Call me stupid, call me
> irrational, say I have no intellect but hey I'm not interested
> in pleasing you (neither is Morrissey as a matter of fact). I'm
> fine being myself, but I still want to listen to Morrissey. Do I
> have your permission? HA!

> Morrissey is for anyone that enjoys his music.

You go, Rob!

> Oh don't worry Morrissey has the ability to dissapoint the most
> true blue fan... Give it time...

I'm certainly not as 'groupie' as I was back in the day, but he always returns to number one for me. Unless Ian Curtis comes back from the dead, The Velvet Underground reunites, or Bowie brings back Ziggy, I always find myself going back to Morrissey. Personally, he's just like that for me. Lately, I've been on this David Bowie trip, but Morrisey's number one again.

> They really SUCK, I would much rather have no opening act and a
> cheaper ticket price!

I'm sure the sky-high prices have to do with Ticketbastard and Coxsucker Arena, rather than SUCK. I'm willing to bet SUCK was doing the tour for food and water.

> I really think he lacks the basic talent and creative spark to
> back up Morrissey... I find it sad that Morrissey would rather
> have someone he can eaisly command over someone with true skill.

I think he has BASIC talent. And, yes, he's not Johnny, but he has the flash, the glamour, the look, and the arsenal that Johnny didn't. His stuff is not too complicated, but it's what Morrissey needs to work with--try to imagine the song "Jack the Ripper" soloed by Steve Vai. Less is more, and I think Alain is just fine.

> Morrissey looks better than EVER! He has taken on that dapper
> distinguished look... Far more pleasing to the eye, than when
> his akwardness showed in his 20s when he was in the Smiths...

Agreed, but he still has grey hairs. I'm convinced those were grey hairs. He looks like Reed Richards from the Fantastic Four.

> That would be nothing but a let down, they are not in love with
> each others art anymore... That Magic is gone forever...

Nor was the Sex Pistols or Bauhaus. What brought them back together?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Think of it this way: with all the time the four of them have spent in court, you have to agree they know The Smiths are worth alot. You can't tell me they haven't thought about doing it again once--just for the money.

Sure, they don't have the passion for it since '87, but it's worth more now than it did back then. Most thing they will ever do in their career will be shadowed by The Smiths, as it has been for every post project. Morrissey was nominated for a Grammy, but most other persons besides a die-hard can't recall what category it was for. But, everyone recognizes that car commercial with How Soon is Now, laughing at it's irony. They have to wonder why the checks are stil coming even though that Electronic album didn't make a dime--royalties from The Smiths. That would make me want to do it again. I'd get fed up with watching my new projects struggle, and the old one rise like the phoenix.

The Pistols and Bauhaus did it again for the money, and thought "this is gonna suck". And, they released the greatest live reunion recordings I've owned in my life. In the 80s, Roxy Music returned to an even bigger audience and released their best material--albiet the same accusations of "the magic was gone in the 70s". Morrissey can pull off Smiths songs live, and Johnny still has it in him--I'm sure it can be done.

I'd like to see it, but it's as probable as the day 2Pac stops putting out records and stays dead. And, say it did happen, I guaran-FUC-KIN-tee that most all of the doubters would go back on their word an be ecstatic. I've never seen the damn Smiths, and if it'd happen I wouldn't give a @#!!! about 'the magic being gone'. I'll get to see those guys play!!!

> However, ever since Morrissey went solo he has lacked a creative
> music partner... and he really does need to find one, and give
> up on these talentless teddy boys that cater to his most
> musically self destructive whims.

I don't think he's into collaboration anymore--or at least a 50/50 longterm one. Marr and Street have had outs with him over it. And, the band are told what to do. It's his show, and that's why he puts his name on the records.

Mick Ronson might've been the one, but........ X-<

> urrmm, Alain didn't write "November", it was by one of
> his older alumni

Oh, sorry, I thought he did.
Can i replace November with Sea sick yet still docked?

hnia

Re: Now my heart is full of Disapointment! I'll tell you what scary is...

There's only 2 things scary about this whole thread,
#1-Your reviews of the albums
#2-And that fact that you're still a "fan" after those NME-esque reviews...
I think you're suffering from a "Stevenage overspill" and need to find an artist with whom you can bare to listen to more than one album. Perhaps Twisted Sister or Slayer might be your fancy...
it's really laughable
-robM

>>Viva Hate - Only 2 weaker tracks "Bengali In Platforms" & "The Ordinary Boys" It's just as strong as any Smiths CD and all the b-sides were great!

Bona Drag - Even though it was a collection of Viva Hate b-sides and post Viva Hate singles, it was a splended collection with only 1 weak track "Piccadilly Palare"

Kill Uncle - This is where things went down hill fast
"Our Frank", "Mute Witness", "The Harsh Truth Of The Camera Eye" were the only good tracks on this CD

YOUR ARSENAL - This was the 1st time I thought he has lost it
"Tomorrow" was the only great song on this cd, and all the B-sides were really really weak.

VAUXHALL AND I - "Now My Heart Is Full", "Spring-Heeled Jim" are both great tracks, the rest of the disc is complete garbage, his worst CD to date!

SOUTHPAW GRAMMAR - Oh did I say Vauxhall is the worst, I'm sorry he out did himself with Southpaw, "The Teachers Are Afraid Of The Pupils" is the only track I can listen to on this CD

The Sunny CD Single - What could I say buy WOW! 3 great tracks, I was very very anxious to hear more...

MALADJUSTED - another pile of crap, but not any worse than Vaux or Southpaw. "Maladjusted", "Roy's Keen", "Sorrow Will Come In The End"
"Satan Rejected My Soul" these are all very good songs... I don't understand why "young gangstas" would find any
> appeal with Moz
> nor do I understand why Moz would want to attract these
> "young gangsta" types to his fan base. It's really all
> kinda scarry.

> Cheers, Choco

Re: Now my heart is full of Disapointment! I'll tell you what scary is...

> There's only 2 things scary about this whole thread,
> #1-Your reviews of the albums
> #2-And that fact that you're still a "fan" after those
> NME-esque reviews...
> I think you're suffering from a "Stevenage overspill"
> and need to find an artist with whom you can bare to listen to
> more than one album. Perhaps Twisted Sister or Slayer might be
> your fancy...
> it's really laughable
> -robM
Moz is awesome, some people just cannot be pleased. I love all the albums, I just have few favorites and i'm willing to admit that there are a few songs that are not up to par. But maybe to you or someone else their special. Everyone stop trying to force their view on each other and respect a great artist. jeez.

hnia

> Bona Drag - Even though it was a collection of Viva Hate b-sides
> and post Viva Hate singles, it was a splended collection with
> only 1 weak track "Piccadilly Palare"

> Kill Uncle - This is where things went down hill fast
> "Our Frank", "Mute Witness", "The Harsh
> Truth Of The Camera Eye" were the only good tracks on this
> CD

> YOUR ARSENAL - This was the 1st time I thought he has lost it
> "Tomorrow" was the only great song on this cd, and all
> the B-sides were really really weak.

> VAUXHALL AND I - "Now My Heart Is Full",
> "Spring-Heeled Jim" are both great tracks, the rest of
> the disc is complete garbage, his worst CD to date!

> SOUTHPAW GRAMMAR - Oh did I say Vauxhall is the worst, I'm sorry
> he out did himself with Southpaw, "The Teachers Are Afraid
> Of The Pupils" is the only track I can listen to on this CD

> The Sunny CD Single - What could I say buy WOW! 3 great tracks,
> I was very very anxious to hear more...

> MALADJUSTED - another pile of crap, but not any worse than Vaux
> or Southpaw. "Maladjusted", "Roy's Keen",
> "Sorrow Will Come In The End"
> "Satan Rejected My Soul" these are all very good
> songs...

Back
Top Bottom