Noel Gallagher on "The Queen Is Dead"

Which also explains your inexplicable love for that tuneless, clattering mess World Peace.

Not at all - everyone has different tastes, JB.

Unlike you, not everyone comes here with a futile agenda to discredit everything Morrissey does in the present while preserving his Smiths legacy as though it were some kind of unflawed perfection. Despite your desperate attempts to present Morrissey and his work in the most polarised terms, everyone with a brain knows that there are shades of grey in everything.

And, as has been pointed out here several times before, your opinions aren't taken seriously because they come from a place of self-confessed prejudice and as such they're risibly predictable.

In mid-90's Noel and Liam were weird enought to talk about Morrissey and Smiths so badly.
It was a strategy to rise their influence by Beatles. They were young and fool as everyone.

But he's the best singwriter of his generation.
His first album after Oasis split was amazing.

In mid-90's Noel and Liam were weird enought to talk about Morrissey and Smiths so badly.
It was a strategy to rise their influence by Beatles. They were young and fool as everyone.

But he's the best singwriter of his generation.
His first album after Oasis split was amazing.

they were also doing mountains or cocaine and that can make you say some silly self centered stuff at times (most times). hes come around and come down a bit since then. i liked what he had to say about bernard and suede and brett.

Unlike you, not everyone comes here with a futile agenda to discredit everything Morrissey does in the present while preserving his Smiths legacy as though it were some kind of unflawed perfection. Despite your desperate attempts to present Morrissey and his work in the most polarised terms, everyone with a brain knows that there are shades of grey in everything.

And, as has been pointed out here several times before, your opinions aren't taken seriously because they come from a place of self-confessed prejudice and as such they're risibly predictable.

nice said. you are very well spoken

I totally agree, for me vauxhall and I is far superior to TQID

Quite unlike someone who, for example, pathologically cannot stomach a single sliver of nay-saying about Morrissey. That's totally different, isn't it? Why would anyone take the opinions of someone like that seriously, after they've been pointed out here several times before?

P.

I'm sure I could find a few deluded people who prefer Band On The Run to The White Album too. It doesn't make them right. It makes them look like fools.

You seem to make the lazy assumption I dislike all Morrissey's solo work, which suits your inexplicable defence of the dreary, clodhopping wasteland that is World Peace, but is, as with many of your opinions, a simple lie.

It has reached the point that only by denigrating an album like The Queen Is Dead, which has remained as much a classic as the day it was released, can you somehow reimagine moronic tripe like World Peace as a strange form of musical evolution. That's fine. I understand. Pol Pot did much the same after the Khmer Rouge came to power. Year Zero. Up is down. Black is white. World Peace Is None Of Your Business is the best thing Morrissey's ever done. Perhaps you feel that by accepting the Smiths produced great work you feel it means you must accept that Morrissey once worked with other talented musicians as part of not just "a" band, but one of the very greatest, rather than do it all himself.

Luckily the truth always comes riding to the rescue. World Peace achieved the commercial success it deserved. If anything it did rather better than its tedious content could have reasonably expected.

Although you and other members of the sect cannot face up to the truth, Morrissey's current output even doesn't even compare to most of his own solo work, let alone that of the Smiths.

I'm sure I could find a few deluded people who prefer Band On The Run to The White Album too. It doesn't make them right. It makes them look like fools.

You seem to make the lazy assumption I dislike all Morrissey's solo work, which suits your inexplicable defence of the dreary, clodhopping wasteland that is World Peace, but is, as with many of your opinions, a simple lie.

It has reached the point that only by denigrating an album like The Queen Is Dead, which has remained as much a classic as the day it was released, can you somehow reimagine moronic tripe like World Peace as a strange form of musical evolution. That's fine. I understand. Pol Pot did much the same after the Khmer Rouge came to power. Year Zero. Up is down. Black is white. World Peace Is None Of Your Business is the best thing Morrissey's ever done. Perhaps you feel that by accepting the Smiths produced great work you feel it means you must accept that Morrissey once worked with other talented musicians as part of not just "a" band, but one of the very greatest, rather than do it all himself.

Luckily the truth always comes riding to the rescue. World Peace achieved the commercial success it deserved. If anything it did rather better than its tedious content could have reasonably expected.

Although you and other members of the sect cannot face up to the truth, Morrissey's current output even doesn't even compare to most of his own solo work, let alone that of the Smiths.

I never listen to the Queen is Dead, it's kind of boring now. Some people are stuck in the past.

I know I am generalising, but it seems to be a matter of intelligence, not just delusion. If you look around here at the users who wank lyrical over WPINOYB, you'll notice their posts are so badly written that they become unreadable. It's OK as an album. C'est tout.

The brown-tongued apologists make it very hard to agree with anything they have to say as their posts are poorly constructed and repetitive. Maybe that's why they adore WPINOYB (Kiss me a lot x 25 :sleeping:)

TQID isn't comparable to WPINOYB. To borrow a word from RB, it takes a certain 'ilk' to worship World Peace... They know who they are and my god they're dull.

It's all down to taste I know and I understand that people may still not listen to it but how can The Queen is Dead be described as boring?

Same as any Smiths or Morrissey album for that matter. Like them or not they're never boring.

I go through stages of hammering one album or other, whether it's Years of Refusal or Meat Is Murder, The Queen Is Dead or Southpaw. They've all go their charms and if you ditch them for good you're missing out.

It's all down to taste I know and I understand that people may still not listen to it but how can The Queen is Dead be described as boring?

Same as any Smiths or Morrissey album for that matter. Like them or not they're never boring.

I go through stages of hammering one album or other, whether it's Years of Refusal or Meat Is Murder, The Queen Is Dead or Southpaw. They've all go their charms and if you ditch them for good you're missing out.

Variety certainly helps...

Vauxhall is the best thing he's ever done. For the simple reason that it's the album that moves me the most. I also find it to be the most even and consistent. Cohesive. It's an album - it's not just eleven tracks done roughly around the same sessions. And it never feels dull. It's always relevant.

TQID is however the best Smiths album. Although all four studio albums are ridiculously good.

i think that people dislike some of the queen is dead because of the albums tempo pacing. it goes into a serious tempo lull that meat is murder and strangeways dont. they have the occasional slow song or slower song but for the most part those to me are more consistently uptempo albums. that tempo drag for a certain section of songs has been what ive heard complained about the most. also that album seems to me to contain the most self centered lyrics. not self centered in that they, the artist are selfish people, but i dont think songs like frankly mr shankly, i know its over and, bigmouth etc really relate to people in general and are more about morrissey himself and his position in the public and with the public at large. i do think they were wrapped up in what was happening to them at that time which came out in the lyrics some and so dont relate in that intimate that other smiths song do. i guess to summarize i think that album contains the least relatable lyrics in the smiths catalog and suffers as a result among people not hardcore morrissey smiths fans not to mention the tempo lull. personally i think the debut the worst for the production mainly and sometimes very flat singing.

Vauxhall is the best thing he's ever done. For the simple reason that it's the album that moves me the most. I also find it to be the most even and consistent. Cohesive. It's an album - it's not just eleven tracks done roughly around the same sessions. And it never feels dull. It's always relevant.

TQID is however the best Smiths album. Although all four studio albums are ridiculously good.

" For the simple reason that it's the album that moves me the most."

this is the best response ive never seen written as a justification for why they claim an album to be the best. its a good start as well for a discussion on why something moves you which goes away from arguing ab out flat opinion statements

" For the simple reason that it's the album that moves me the most."

this is the best response ive never seen written as a justification for why they claim an album to be the best. its a good start as well for a discussion on why something moves you which goes away from arguing ab out flat opinion statements

Thank you. It doesn't have to be more complicated than that (or simple, for that matter).

Dearest mrs/miss/mr.skidnettle......your "stuck in the past" comment begs me to ask the question.....if my undying love for the smiths albums makes me "stuck in the past" please tell me from what specific year am i allowed to indulge in my love for "all things morrissey ????"
does this "stuck in the past"afflivtion also prevent me from listening to the beatles,the ddors,bob dylan,echo and the bunnymen etc...etc,,,????,bacause all of the artists listed performed prior to the release of "the queen is dead"
i await your instructions.........

"the minute the needle hit the record and that psychedelic intro to the title track fell out of the speakers, all doubt was blown away."

Psychedelic? If a bit of Music Hall plus a drum solo is psychedelic you must be taking some seriously strong shit. :squiffy:

Dearest mrs/miss/mr.skidnettle......your "stuck in the past" comment begs me to ask the question.....if my undying love for the smiths albums makes me "stuck in the past" please tell me from what specific year am i allowed to indulge in my love for "all things morrissey ????"
does this "stuck in the past"afflivtion also prevent me from listening to the beatles,the ddors,bob dylan,echo and the bunnymen etc...etc,,,????,bacause all of the artists listed performed prior to the release of "the queen is dead"
i await your instructions.........

It depends what Echo and the Bunnymen album you're talking about. If it's Porcupine, move on.

I was actually expecting that response as I wrote it. What I meant to say was some people go on about the Smiths albums and always compare them favourably to Morrissey albums. I find that kind of annoying, although it's often correct. Using the Queen is Dead to slag off WP is particularly annoying, especially as I feel it's his best work in ages. It's true that the Queen is Dead is a classic and when I first heard in 1989 or whatever I was blown away by I Know It's Over. However, I've heard it a lot of times. I don't really need to hear it anymore. Some of the songs aren't that great. Same with WP. Difference is WP is fresh (relatively speaking) and has a whole different sound. Some people hate it, fair enough, just don't expect me to agree with you and use Smiths albums as a stick to beat it with.

Re: Noel Gallagher on "The Queen Is Dead"

All I said was it was my least favourite Smiths album. I play that one the least.

- - - Updated - - -

I know I am generalising, but it seems to be a matter of intelligence, not just delusion. If you look around here at the users who wank lyrical over WPINOYB, you'll notice their posts are so badly written that they become unreadable. It's OK as an album. C'est tout.

The brown-tongued apologists make it very hard to agree with anything they have to say as their posts are poorly constructed and repetitive. Maybe that's why they adore WPINOYB (Kiss me a lot x 25 :sleeping:)

TQID isn't comparable to WPINOYB. To borrow a word from RB, it takes a certain 'ilk' to worship World Peace... They know who they are and my god they're dull.

You'll also notice that the ones who bash the fans for liking/loving WPINOYB are a bunch of arseholes :)

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom