NME's Top 100 tracks of the decade, IBEH at #98

Lol there I was reading your post reeling off these names of bands I can't stand getting ready for the final blow reaffirming the list as garbage and the nme likewise but you were going for the opposite...oops!

ooops indeed!
You can't write off the Killers and Kasaian as garbage, sorry.

However I'm with you on the NME being garbage:)

how many times where the yeah yeah yeah's in the top 30. Shock of the lightning by oasis is at number 96. I'm a massive oasisfan but that song is shit, stop crying your heart out should've been in there if any by them. not a bad list one the whole but not a very good one either.

I don't give a damn about any list that has Rihanna, a typical lock-jawed pop-star
thicker than pig-shit / nothing to convey, at number 16 while Morrissey's at 98 and Johnny Cash at 92. Come on.

To me, Rihanna (as well as Beyonce) is not an artist. She is a perfectly designed, incredibly well-trained and placed product. Hard working one, I admit. But nothing more. Therefore I cannot consider any of their achievments a piece of art. It's craft, nothing more. Sorry for going off-topic, but this list made me angry.

I don't give a damn about any list that has Rihanna, a typical lock-jawed pop-star
thicker than pig-shit / nothing to convey, at number 16 while Morrissey's at 98 and Johnny Cash at 92. Come on.

To me, Rihanna (as well as Beyonce) is not an artist. She is a perfectly designed, incredibly well-trained and placed product. Hard working one, I admit. But nothing more. Therefore I cannot consider any of their achievments a piece of art. It's craft, nothing more. Sorry for going off-topic, but this list made me angry.

I know we're meant to be constructive, but........BORING.
This list is to find the best tracks of the decade: not 100 lost pieces of musical art. The NME could have put down 100 tracks nobody had ever heard of and many muso's would have said it was a more respectable list, but it'd be a much more boring and far less true list.

If we were to apply the same stupid modern day rules amongst armchair music critics: they MUST write all their own lyrics, they MUST use only a guitar/bass/drums, they MUST never dance, they MUST never dress up, they MUST never be popular - then we'd have lost a lot of great songs over the past 40/50 years.
To think every three minutes of music ever committed to record should be a glistening piece of art is surely to miss the point of popular music?

And as far as I'm concerned Morrissey is losing his rights to sing '...Crashing Bores' after Years Of Refusal, the most creatively sparse album he's possibly ever released, a promise that seems more empty than the exciting promise it was in 2004.

Every week we get the Top 40. Over the course of the year that's a lot of popular songs. Over the course of a decade that's a huge amount of songs. To make the Top 100 is a fairly impressive achievement.
That's if you give a shit about pointless lists in a quite meaningless magazine anyway in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom