Moz/Smiths or Pet Shop Boys?

Who means the most to you, Lord Moz or the crappy PSB?

• Moz/Smiths

Votes: 33 91.7%
  • PSB

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters
At this moment in time, it's PSB. Better new album, more consistent career, equally beautiful and catchy songs. I've been listening to them a lot more than Morrissey or The Smiths for the past month.

PetShopBoys are alright, but a bit of a novelty.......like ABC

I have been playing the Pet Shop Boys album more than ROTT lately but I expect I will play Keane more than both after this coming Monday.

All albums have their peak with me and while I continue to play older albums I always have new ones coming through.

The next two I am awaiting are Kasabian and The Cure but I`m sure there will be others too as the Summer and Autumn progresses.

FAO: Anyone who views PSB as nothing more than a novelty act

"What bugged me about the shoe-gazers always looking really miserable is that people think someone like that is really serious. It's something that endlessly bugs me in pop music - that someone with the style of being serious is always accepted as being serious. And also that anyone being playful is then not taken seriously, whereas actually being playful is more difficult than being 'serious', and possibly can end up being a lot more serious at the same time."

-Neil Tennant

Re: FAO: Anyone who views PSB as nothing more than a novelty act

dazzak said:
"What bugged me about the shoe-gazers always looking really miserable is that people think someone like that is really serious."

I once attended a Slowdive gig. Everyone, both crowd and band, stood around literally looking at their shoes. There was a song, I have no idea what it was called, that consisted of the bass player repeating one note for about five minutes (so it seemed) and the singer mumbling some lyrics over it. Everyone was so solemn and pious, it was remarkable. As I gazed at the 'gazers I couldn't help laughing out loud, and would have continued had my companion not elbowed me sharply in the ribs for my apostasy.

Ride came on an hour later and blew the roof off the venue. Sometimes in one band's discography you can hear the death of a subgenre of music, and between "Nowhere" and "Going Blank Again" you can hear them kill shoegazing with a great big wooden stake to the heart. I heard it that night in the space of a few hours.

Anyway. Neil Tennant's a bright fellow. I like Pet Shop Boys' lyrics quite a bit, and I've got a number of their songs. If I don't list them as a favorite of mine, it's only because most of the music I've heard is straight disco stuff, and I only like that in certain moods. Some of the chatter on this forum has convinced me to give them another chance, though. Neil's recent soundbite about liberal rights was wonderful.

Their record sleeves are brilliant-- I've always thought that. Some of the best ever made.

I must admit that strangely enough PSB were probably the first record I bought. Apart from that they don't really mean much to me. I guess they had some nice videos. I used to like Go West.

Worm said:
I once attended a Slowdive gig. Everyone, both crowd and band, stood around literally looking at their shoes. There was a song, I have no idea what it was called, that consisted of the bass player repeating one note for about five minutes (so it seemed) and the singer mumbling some lyrics over it. Everyone was so solemn and pious, it was remarkable. As I gazed at the 'gazers I couldn't help laughing out loud, and would have continued had my companion not elbowed me sharply in the ribs for my apostasy.

Ride came on an hour later and blew the roof off the venue. Sometimes in one band's discography you can hear the death of a subgenre of music, and between "Nowhere" and "Going Blank Again" you can hear them kill shoegazing with a great big wooden stake to the heart. I heard it that night in the space of a few hours.

Anyway. Neil Tennant's a bright fellow. I like Pet Shop Boys' lyrics quite a bit, and I've got a number of their songs. If I don't list them as a favorite of mine, it's only because most of the music I've heard is straight disco stuff, and I only like that in certain moods. Some of the chatter on this forum has convinced me to give them another chance, though. Neil's recent soundbite about liberal rights was wonderful.

Their record sleeves are brilliant-- I've always thought that. Some of the best ever made.
Is there anything more pathetic than apathy? Despite my current feelings of hatred towards the music scene, I'd rather have shit bands with attitude than shit bands with none.

If you're not a huge fan of the straight disco stuff, I'd suggest you get the new album Fundamental. While there's still some synth madness (Integral, Minimal), most of it is quite subdued with strings. It's really quite genius and has, in my opinion, some of Neil's most concise and intelligent lyrics ever. He could teach Moz how to regain his political edge.

Agreed about bands with attitude.

dazzak said:
Is there anything more pathetic than apathy?

I saw Nitzer Ebb open for Electronic and Depeche Mode. They played to a huge stadium only about 33% full at the time. Total apathy. The lead singer was stomping around the stage trying to drum up interest, but to no avail. So at one point he screamed out, "You're WEAK if you don't dance!" Although it was over the top and frankly ridiculous of him to yell that, I must admit, I sympathized with his point of view.

I think the PSBs were at that gig with Electronic, by the way, but I can't quite remember. If they were, they didn't make much of a splash, obviously (although I love "Patience Of A Saint"). Marr was most certainly present, though.

dazzak said:
I'd suggest you get the new album Fundamental.

If it's on iTunes I'll download a few songs. The raves are edging me closer and closer...

dazzak said:
He could teach Moz how to regain his political edge.

Maybe, but Morrissey could easily regain it himself. When he sang about politics from a highly personal standpoint, or the standpoint of average working people, I think he was effective-- as in "Nowhere Fast", "The Queen Is Dead", or "Interesting Drug", among others. But when he gets into the silly propaganda he just appears coarse-minded and dippy. Anyway, Tennant is a genuine intellectual, as I understand it, something I'm not sure Morrissey is. I doubt they have much to learn from each other, and wouldn't admit it if they did.

I think Pet Shop Boys lyrics are as good or better than Morrissey's and I like the music a lot too. Can't really compare the two but I probably listen to PSB as much as I do Morrissey.

bit easy this poll init??!!

moz/smiths o'course!

Back
Top Bottom