Morrisseys Worst Lyrics...

[email protected]

Sugar Booger
We all know 99% of anything Moz writes is brilliant. But everyones got to have that one song that makes them scratch their head. Whats everyones worst song Morrissey has written. And I'm speaking strictly lyrics.

My vote is for sure "Best Friend on The Payroll". I understand the Jake thing, I understand the song, but I dont take anything away from it. Its boring and bland. Says nothing to me, uncreative, etc etc etc.

Yours?

Roy's Keen.

The pun is about as funny and clever as something you would find on a birthday card in a department store. And a song about a football player? That's really beneath Moz. Sportsmen are all asses and Morrissey certainly isn't a satellite to any of them. Rhyming "satellite" with "set alight" is nice, though.

No just no...roy's keen's great....mozz like sportsmen, boxers and hooligans...argh.

i don't like these lyrics:
I see the world
It makes me puke

To me you are a work of art

it's just too simple

"Run, run young man through the glen...." WHAT!!??!!;)

I don't like Dear God Please Help Me, not only for lyrics, but also for the music, too slow, a little bit boring...

Pit Maravich said:
i don't like these lyrics:
I see the world
It makes me puke

To me you are a work of art

it's just too simple

THANK YOU!!!! I though I was the only one!;)

Uncleskinny said:
I'd say most of King Leer, and also Get off The Stage.

Peter

Come to think of it, most of Kill Uncle could be better. I like Get Off the Stage though. I know its very elementary, but isnt it about The rolling Stones? And I hate those guys. Did you see them at the last SuperBowl? They were mumbling somethign about satisfaction, and I was humming Get Off the Stage.

Your boyfriend he
Got down on one knee
Well could it be
He's only got one knee?

Oh Worm, you and I just fell out big time over that ^^.

I love that song and that line. It's second only to "gift of the grab" line in that song.

I guess your wit and intelligent elsewhere, which belies this particular thread allows you a small degree of inaccuracy:p .

How about "So many women, his head should be spinning"?

thewarroom said:
THANK YOU!!!! I though I was the only one!;)

I can agree about this one as well. One of Morrissey's strengths as a lyricist, though, is that he's able to write very simple lines that are still profound and that avoid cliché. As opposed to the vast group of rock lyricists who try to hide the fact that they lack any real talent by writing abstruse drivel that at the end of the day means nothing to noone. But yeah, "I see the world/It makes me puke", I agree it's not very good. It could just as well be something by a bad metal band.

mjp said:
Oh Worm, you and I just fell out big time over that ^^.

Ahahaha.

You can't be serious! You like that line? Sheesh. I don't know, I admit at times it's wrung a laugh from me, but mostly I cringe.

The line you mentioned isn't all that good, either. If you insist, I'll withdraw my original post and agree with you on that one!

Uncleskinny said:
I'd say most of King Leer, and also Get off The Stage.

Peter

Get Off The Stage is pretty poor, but surely still gets some marks for rhyming 'trousers' with 'arouse us'.

I don't much like Ambitious Outsiders, unpleasant without being especially interesting.

I find All The Lazy Dykes is the most dubious lylics Morrissey's ever written. It'd been funnier if the musical treatment was lighter.

Kewpie said:
I find All The Lazy Dykes is the most dubious lylics Morrissey's ever written. It'd been funnier if the musical treatment was lighter.

Mrrrrrrrr........ I adore All The Lazy Dykes!:mad: :mad:

Whaat?? King Leer is fantastic!

I think Hold On To You're Friends is the worst.. It's not really bad, but it's just not Morrissey!

Worm said:
Your boyfriend he
Got down on one knee
Well could it be
He's only got one knee?

I have to disagree, King Leer is brilliant and that line made me laugh for its sheer stupidity; i imagined Mozzer writing that in a fit of pique at his disinterested love interest. The line about the 'homeless chihuahua' has me smiling every time. I love his sense of humour, so any songs which make one cringe or are just plain daft, i find endearing. 'Kill Uncle' is, in my humble opinion, one of his best albums ... but then my opinion is often very humble indeed.

I'd say:

'I flop on your bed / With a head full of dread / For all I've ever said' is a good contender; too many rhymes and a sense of simplicity which suggests that the good man was in a bit of hurry to finish.

As an album 'Maladjusted' pips 'Southpaw' to the post as his worst; a good example of Morrissey stuck in an 'angry' creative rut. But, of course, it has the glorious 'Alma Matters' and 'Trouble Loves Me', which more than make up for a poor outing.

Back
Top Bottom