Morrissey's attitude to women?

Hey, forgive me for asking this but does Moz actually identify as a feminist or not?

I have read several passing references that suggest that he used to read feminist books, but has he ever said anything regarding his position?

Also are any of his song lyrics disrespectful to women (cause someone on here once said that?:crazy:)

I would take a guess that Morrissey doesn't exactly know what he is.

Hey, forgive me for asking this but does Moz actually identify as a feminist or not?

I have read several passing references that suggest that he used to read feminist books, but has he ever said anything regarding his position?

Also are any of his song lyrics disrespectful to women (cause someone on here once said that?:crazy:)

I've seen so many examples of his feminist sympathies over the years that he deserves the name "feminist" even if he may balk at "identifying" himself as such.

There are some curious lines in the songs, like "I lost my faith in womanhood", but I think these are sung from his other position, that of espousing "male liberation", so if he seems disrespectful toward women (and I'm not saying he is) it probably represents a more complicated point of view. But I don't think he disrespects women at all. In fact, aside from vegetarianism and "male liberation", I'd say feminism is probably his next most passionate cause.

He resists gender, which is a positive thing for feminists. When you try to pigeonhole people based on thier physical gender, you create false value judgements to distinguish one (male) from the other (female), and start placing fences around people. He seems to be interested in deconstructing gender expectations, forcing people to think.

He's read his theory. That's more than most people have.

He has said that William It Was Really Nothing is about Men's Liberation.

I've seen so many examples of his feminist sympathies over the years that he deserves the name "feminist" even if he may balk at "identifying" himself as such.

There are some curious lines in the songs, like "I lost my faith in womanhood", but I think these are sung from his other position, that of espousing "male liberation", so if he seems disrespectful toward women (and I'm not saying he is) it probably represents a more complicated point of view. But I don't think he disrespects women at all. In fact, aside from vegetarianism and "male liberation", I'd say feminism is probably his next most passionate cause.

What are those examples? :o

What are those examples? :o

Oh goodness. I don't mean to be curt but the matter is so obvious to me I don't much feel like researching it in any detail...sorry. :)

Maybe we could cut to the chase by asking how Linder Sterling would answer your question.

Anyway, here's Morrissey in 1983:

"I just so happen to be completely influenced by feminist writers like Molly Haskell, Marjory Rose and Susan Brown-Miller. An endless list of them!

"I don't want to GO ON about feminism but it is an ideal state. It will never be realised beyond that because this society detests strong women. You just have to look at the Greenham women. This is a society that only likes women who faint and fawn and want only to get married. I'm not neurotic about it, but it is an integral part of the way I write."

And this from The Face in 1984:

Are you a Male Feminist?

Well, I wouldn't stand on a table and shout "I'm a Feminist" or put a red stamp across my forehead, but if one tends towards prevalent feminist views, by law you immediately become one.​

Which seems to be what I said above, which is that he probably doesn't like the word feminist but more or less thinks like one.

P.S. Kewpie, you are Morrissey-Solo's very own Muse of Memory. :rolleyes:

Thanks Worm :)

I just couldn't find any solid affirmations from Morrissey on the subject, but it appears that there are many.

I recommend you to buy a book 'Morrissey in Conversation' which is a collection of Morrissey's interviews edited by the subjects such as vegetarianism, fame, politics etc.

Thanks Worm :)

I just couldn't find any solid affirmations from Morrissey on the subject, but it appears that there are many.

There are probably not that many explicit affirmations, it's just that there are many pieces to the puzzle you have to assemble, as with most things Morrissey-related. Some are obvious, some are subtle. Really I think his lifelong friendship with Linder, plus his affection for strong female writers and singers, add up to a pretty obvious picture of where he stands on the subject. But as I and others in this thread have pointed out, his stronger passion is for "male liberation" and thus he may sometimes consciously avoid talking about feminism as such.

To honest I don't know if Morrissey cares about a cause in particular.
All albums has some things about some causes. If you check "Meat is murder", Morrissey fights in favor of vegetarianism...

I don't know if this means anything. It's just my opinion.

Morrissey was raised by women - strong women. His Mother is a very strong minded woman from what I've read. He's had long standing friendships with very strong minded women. I don't think Morrissey believes in gender, but these relationships, I believe, helped to develop his way of thinking about women in general.

I don't think we need to stick labels on people.
Morrissey just appears to me to be an astute and fair minded person who recognises inequalities in many aspects of society and often uses his celebrity to speak up for the oppressed whether they be people or animals.

Worm, just some food for thought. Because I see you projecting in the same way I did last year. You are talking about a man who gave his music the male tag this February. And if you look at the female writers and singers whom he is affectionate to, they are to the great majority lebians or groupies. My notion of a strong woman is different, more like how I have seen that "northern woman" described and what the women are like whom I have grown up with, but where is this woman other than in the literature that he drew from? She does not stand on his stage as support, she is not in his lyrics, she is not in his interviews. What you get as his support are lebians and women who not accidentally sing and also work as models, make their living by not just making music but also selling their bodies to masses. The really strong woman does not do this, she tries to make a living without selling her body and soul to one man or a whole lot of them.

Fair points, Silke. I was trying to indicate what Morrissey believes, that's all. Whether or not he's a "real" feminist is another question. My definition of a "strong woman" is closer to yours, but I wasn't really offering my own views.

As for the lack of these women in his songs, again, I think you have to consider that he has always sung about men and masculinity, and women have been background figures in the lyrics. I don't know what you mean by "the male tag" being so recent; he talked about "male liberation" in the earliest Smiths interviews and has remained consistent.

The tricky thing about understanding what Morrissey thinks about women is that his favorite artists, male or female, are writers, actors, filmmakers, and musicians whom he must find "interesting" as artists first and only secondly as social or political categories. You can easily tell what he likes, but it's much harder to discern what he doesn't like, and why. He finds breaking sexual norms "interesting", but his obvious affection for homosexual artists can't be seen as an implicit repudiation of men and women who don't sell their bodies and souls to anyone, as you put it. He's addicted to spectacle, drama, and extreme human emotions. If these aren't on display, he probably isn't going to sing about it or talk about it in interviews. I believe if you sat down with him and described what you thought of as a strong woman, he would agree with you completely and enthusiastically. Then, at the end, he'd still say, "Fine, fine, fine. Now, can we talk about Joni Mitchell?"

Last edited:
she is not in his lyrics

:eek: Blimey. I hope someone heard that. Cos that means TAKING THE PISS FOR A THOUSAND YEARS.:mock: (not you Silke).

Shows that when you portray people (or animals) as complete idiots...Not all people buy it and...It often comes back and bites you in the arse... (And yet a woman that namedrops her best friend every two seconds can pass for a strong independent female artist without anybody noticing a slight contradiction...Mmmmmm. Lack of attention?).

Ah, Art. You should have taken up Collage, Morrissey. (Hey but it's not too late for Collagen!)

:guffaw:

Or maybe you should have joined the army and become a Camouflage expert. Look, take the insignificant lil dog below for instance and try to turn it into a carrot.:thumb: I'm sure you can!

:rofl:

Last edited:
Grrrrrrrrrr

Barking, stop hijacking the thread!! :mad:

You can send a visitor message to Silke.

Thank you very much.

Tags
bitches & hos
Back
Top Bottom