Morrissey retiring?

Hi all,

Jamie from the NME here. I was wondering if I could garner some opinions of you Morrissey fans and experts?

Quite a few things have been going on recently that suggest Morrissey is stepping away from music. He's finding touring tough, has said he finds it lonely, and there is a greatest hits in the pipeline. Could he be winding things down?

I was wondering what you all thought about the possibility of Morrissey retiring? Do you think it'd be the right time for him to do it, considering his frustrations with the music industry and the ovious fact that he enjoys a reclusive lifestyle rather than being in the spot-light?

Would be grateful for any comments, please do post below.

Thanks. JF.

I just find it hard to understand why anyone would think that Morrissey was "stepping away from music" while he's in the middle of a tour that has been going on in one form or another since March of 2006 and continues until we hear otherwise, right at the very moment the above post was written? Not to mention that besides touring for sixteen months he's written 2 new songs which had their debut on the sixteen month tour, one of which (and maybe both - I don't remember) have been recorded for an album which may or may not be a greatest hits album. According to what Morrissey said about 2 weeks ago, he's apparently trying right now to decide between continuing this tour even longer and making a new album. A couple of other people on here have said this, but I'll say it again: it has never been reported as fact that the next album will be a greatest hits one. Some guy said that on his blog and a whole bunch of people ran with it. . I suppose the question of retirement is a legitimate question to ask of any singer who has been singing and making albums for 23+ years. But, if the NME is coming here to ask our opinion, no we don't think he's winding down his career.

Personally I think he's not going to retire until he is literally physically unable to sing anymore, and then he'll probably keep writing. He's only 48 so uh..... yeah.... I think he's probably got a few more years left. ;) Quite a few.

Oh and I also don't understand why so many journalists think he wants a "reclusive lifestyle." He doesn't seem all that reclusive to me. If you actually listen to him and read what he has to say, he's very up front and open. I doubt many of the people you'll find in here would say he's reclusive and wants to be out of the spotlight. This is because we're actually listening to what Morrissey says, instead of what the media says about him.

You lot actually believe this is an NME journalist and not a troll trying to whip up false rumours again? :rolleyes:

You lot actually believe this is an NME journalist and not a troll trying to whip up false rumours again? :rolleyes:

As Peter and myself stated earlier, Jamie is not a troll because David and mods have all the members' email addresses.

If Jamie was a troll, the thread has been shifted to off-topic.

He's not a performer? He PERFORMS in front of an audience doesn't he? And do you think we're all seeing the REAL Morrissey onstage or any real musician/singer in front of an audience for that matter?

I understand people go through different phases of their lives and their writing will be influenced by different things as they change and grow as a person, but when you compare to the things he's done with Quarry as opposed to ROTT it's just two totally different albums, and in my OPINION, this one was not as good as Quarry and I think most fans will agree, and not a lot of time has passed between the two albums.

I just finished listening to Paul McCartney's latest album who I love even more so than Moz, but I was disappointed in that one too. And yes, he's gone through a divorce, he just had another kid, etc. but something was "missing" just like I feel with ROTT.

As for the music industry, again I agree they've never been kind to him, BUT, I read tons of rave reviews regarding Quarry than I did ROTT.....

So what the hell are you doing here??? Really if Morrissey is not your first-on the-list love, then you have nothing to do here.

jamopsych - f**k off. Frankly.

Others - don't: "get suckered into this" as someone else put it.

The Greatest Hits CD business still has no official announcement, and comes, apparently, from one local-paper article on Morrissey recording a track before a show in that city. The article didn't even cite a source.

As for finding touring wearing, he's been canceling dates since infancy, so I presume he's never found it easy - and he's been on tour more or less continuously for the past year; if he weren't tired by this point, I'd be more surprised.

I think any conjuncture that Morrissey is preparing to leave music is premature, no matter what our opinion of it. The fact that he doesn't dye his hair shouldn't be mistaken for the onset of old age.

Morrissey bringing out another best of album out would be pointless. It would just be said album with the YATQ and ROTT tracks tacked on (and possibly the addition of Roy's Keen and Alma Matters).
Retirement shouldn't really be an option for Morrissey, he is still (relatively) young.
Siouxsie Sioux is near Morrissey's age, and she is bringing out her first solo album, which I would assume involves a tour.
Somewhat laughable in my mind, but I guess with Morrissey's unpredictability, it could happen anytime.

oh shut up you twat. if this gets you wound up life must be pretty stressful being you. How are you coping knowing Morrissey is ill? Let's hope it doesn;t push you over the edge.

My first response to posts like this one is usually to go: HEY!

Then I realize just how sad it must be to be you... which you'd think would make me feel pity. It doesn't. It makes me laugh at you. Also? I feel kind of glad that you must have a shitty life.

I must not be the wonderful person I thought I was. Oh, well.

Oh, SoLow... The most enchanting place on the internets.

As Peter and myself stated earlier, Jamie is not a troll because David and mods have all the members' email addresses.

If Jamie was a troll, the thread has been shifted to off-topic.

He could be both. If this is some sort of story, it's not about Morrissey retiring or not. It's about his fans and provoking them into writing a story where there is none.

Despite what any user says, you've got to hand it to Jamie for provoking such a debate in this thread. Bear in mind what is said here may well be printed in the NME

Right, "journalist" and troll. The NME is shit in my opinion. It's the worst sort of British Tabloid Journalism and this thread is proof. They are lazy, trendy, flavor of the week, build 'em up and cut 'em down, trash.

If this thread is used as a stick to batter Morrissey's career, then I shall feel ashamed - for myself, but more so for the NME. We were suckered into this.

I doubt it. It will probably be a half-page article at most where they chop together about 5 sentences from 5 different people into one and credit it to "one concerned fan."

I haven't read the NME that closely in years, but it doesn't seem like they dedicate the 10+ pages like Word or Q would to dissecting where Morrissey has gone to.

Hey, McCartney/Lennon came into my life far earlier than Morrissey/Marr. Sorry I grew up with them...

same here, i would have told you that Lennon Mccartney were gods, 4 years ago. but i grew up and realized that what they wrote really had no soul.
Help was written in 5 minutes, and thats because they needed something to write about.

same here, i would have told you that Lennon Mccartney were gods, 4 years ago. but i grew up and realized that what they wrote really had no soul.
Help was written in 5 minutes, and thats because they needed something to write about.

I think that's maybe the worst thing I've ever read.

I think that's maybe the worst thing I've ever read.

it's true though. did you know that the mccartney anthem "Yesterday" started out as "Scrambled Eggs"..it went "scrambled eggs, scrambled eggs, baby how i love your legs". and then he pulled out his rhyme book a couple of days later and wrote yesterday. it's no secret. the book "paul mccartney: many years from now" opened my eyes...i was quite the beatles fanatic. i thought they were alpha and omega. and well...yeah.
almost all lennon mccartney creations were written because they were pestered for material from the record company, or purely for profit. brilliant pop songs...but have no soul or meaning...deeper meaning..nothing. it is all very sad.

it's true though. did you know that the mccartney anthem "Yesterday" started out as "Scrambled Eggs"..it went "scrambled eggs, scrambled eggs, baby how i love your legs". and then he pulled out his rhyme book a couple of days later and wrote yesterday. it's no secret. the book "paul mccartney: many years from now" opened my eyes...i was quite the beatles fanatic. i thought they were alpha and omega. and well...yeah.
almost all lennon mccartney creations were written because they were pestered for material from the record company, or purely for profit. brilliant pop songs...but have no soul or meaning...deeper meaning..nothing. it is all very sad.

what does it matter what the previous lyrics were you spanner. Yesterday is still a great song.

When do you log into Duchess? Does it require a mood swing or summit?

So what the hell are you doing here??? Really if Morrissey is not your first-on the-list love, then you have nothing to do here.

WARNING WARNING : another mentalist!! [not me her ^^^^ :p ]

why an earth can't one post on here if you don't hold Moz as your number one bummer?

My first response to posts like this one is usually to go: HEY!

Then I realize just how sad it must be to be you... which you'd think would make me feel pity. It doesn't. It makes me laugh at you. Also? I feel kind of glad that you must have a shitty life.

I must not be the wonderful person I thought I was. Oh, well.

Oh, SoLow... The most enchanting place on the internets.

yes, feel free to make assumptions about my life (if it makes you feel better). But based on your response to the original thread, i'd actually be rather concerned about how highly strung you are.

Back
Top Bottom