Morrissey makes an accidental grammatical error on a song???

I wonder when the Smiths are reuniting.

That one fascinates me. I'm sure there's a rhetorical term for that kind of construct, but for the life of me I can't think of it.

I wonder whether it's "the world" that's stood at the urinal.

I assumed it was both the boy racer and the whole world who were stood at the urinal. If it was just the boy racer, would he be standing?

The child-like "brung" is a pleasing enough lyrical conceit on the subject matter; "I was a good kid...."

The one that gets me, however, is "...stood at the urinal." * looks stern*

What's wrong with that? Stood being the correct particple? "The Day The Earth Stood Still"? What would it otherwise have been?

Grammar Nazi Cat is going to hate me...

Peter

What's wrong with that? Stood being the correct particple? "The Day The Earth Stood Still"? What would it otherwise have been?

Grammar Nazi Cat is going to hate me...

Peter

Grammar Nazi Cat sez: the boy racer's in the present tense, the title you mentioned is in the past tense. *hissssssssssss* :)

Hey, this thread has turned out to be pretty fun!

I don't think song lyrics or poetry needs to be grammatically correct. What's important is the flow of the sentence.

Other languages are more noticeable when you read their poetry.

"If YOUR WILL allows it" - a double meaning, - WILL as in a wish-list for post-death, and WILL as in one's desire.

I'm off now.

Peter

Well he clearly sings 'if you will allows it'. I quite like it as a quaint acknowledgement of love not being restricted to the intelligent - that's how I percieve it anyway. But who am I to say?

Yes, it's the correct past participle, but how does a past participle make sense in that line? I'm with The Cat's Mother's correction.

I agree, except there's also the strange (but weirdly suggestive) interpretation that the boy racer "has been stood" at the urinal-- i.e. placed there like a statue-- implying he's like an object that can be manipulated.

Of course the real answer is poetic license, as WinkWink said above: he needed a one syllable word to make the line scan. But we knew that.

That one fascinates me. I'm sure there's a rhetorical term for that kind of construct, but for the life of me I can't think of it.

The term is "participle abuse". I despair of having to correct my children in this matter. Sometimes their unsuspecting friends receive a lecture, too - and once, the head teacher of the village primary school. She was never the same with me afterwards....

Oh Lordy,

Why can't Stood At The Urinal mean Standing At The Urinal, which is what it was intended to be? I'm off to bed to do strange things with a lady.

Peter

Back
Top Bottom