Low in high school leak (go to page 9 or 10)

Now come on g23, you might be a fan of them but comparing Moz to DM for this song, or any other song and thinking they would do it better, I can’t inagtne. And I do think I have a big fantasy!
I think Morrissey bit off more drama than he could chew on this one. I'm more a fan of Moz than DM. I'm fairly casual with them. Dave Gahan can take a laughably overdramatic statement and somehow make it work. When you examine his lyrics, they are often shit. But he pulls them off!
I am comparing this to DM. The squelchy synths and progression of it is very much in their vein. The heavy Dracula voice verses followed by the light airy choruses, a'la Blasphemous Rumours. It sounds like M doing a cover of a song I haven't heard by a band I have.

And I'm standing by it. Dave, if you're listening- it's not too late to steal it and cover it in concert. I kinda want to hear that version.

If you are supposed to be reviewing his album, why are you mentioning and criticising him as a person, his politics and his choice of friends? And then you DARE to call him Steven.

I don't often look at any 'reviews', I only did because Exeter was mentioned.
You can't honestly expect anybody to separate Morrissey's politics from this album. C'mon.

'Who will protect us from the police' lyrically not the strongest but the vocal melody is infectious. I can't get it out of my head.
Morrissey saying "Hey Daddy" really kind of cracks me up in a gay sort of way. I'm not trying to offend, it just makes me think of some couples I know.

You can't honestly expect anybody to separate Morrissey's politics from this album. C'mon.
It wasn't just his politics though was it.

A solid 3/10 from me. Enjoyed this less than anything since Kill Uncle. It's certainly well produced but the songs themselves just don't appeal ( to me ) at all , either musically or even lyrically.

And , just very quickly, pro-Zionism really isn't my thing at all .

Thanks for saying that last bit. Pro-Zionism hasn't worked out very well in general.

Morrissey saying "Hey Daddy" really kind of cracks me up in a gay sort of way. I'm not trying to offend, it just makes me think of some couples I know.
When people sing, and actually say "Baby", it does have a physical effect on me :sick:

It wasn't just his politics though was it.
I admit I didn't go searching for the offending comments. Speculation regarding M's life is just that. I don't get the folks that rant about how he's obviously some vile piece of shit, but I also don't get the folks that would fall over themselves just to touch the hem of his garment either.
He's just a guy who makes the music I like. I do think he's a bit politically muddled though, and is inflammatory for the sake of it too often.
I'm afraid politics and Morrissey go hand in hand now. It makes me a bit sad, because even if people say they like it, they will still praise songs like Home is a Question mark above the others. Hmmm.

Okay, so how much do I need to pay to shit on everyone who goes to a well-trafficked website? Asking for a friend in a tinfoil cap.

Best,

S.

I don't know how anti-Zionism has been conflated with antisemitism for so long. Is the distinction that difficult to parse?

No, it isn’t.
Well at least not for me.
That isn’t to say many anti-Zionists were not anti-seminists cause I felt they were sometimes but definitely NOT all Anti-Zionists are. It is a discussiontrick to characterise all critics and nobody wants to be seen as anti-Semitic. Which shuts the people of that have arguments. Whether they are good or bad can’t be discussed anymore.

But without getting into an endless political debate about the subject and not wanting to hurt anyone with my opinion which wouldn’t have any effect whatsoever as only making feel people bad, I try to be informed and have changed or at least slightly altered my opinion. Trying to learn all the time.

No, it isn’t.
Well at least not for me.
That isn’t to say many anti-Zionists were not anti-seminists cause I felt they were sometimes but definitely NOT all Anti-Zionists are. It is a discussiontrick to characterise all critics and nobody wants to be seen as anti-Semitic. Which shuts the people of that have arguments. Whether they are good or bad can’t be discussed anymore.

But without getting into an endless political debate about the subject and not wanting to hurt anyone with my opinion which wouldn’t have any effect whatsoever as only making feel people bad, I try to be informed and have changed or at least slightly altered my opinion. Trying to learn all the time.
Have you listened to any of the new songs yet Quando? Do you have a favourite?

My Love, I'd Do Anything for You

Bombastic in the best of ways: it recalls for me some of the best soundtracks from the Connery - and even Moore - era of Bond. Very few artists could make "you know me well, my love I'd do anything for you / society's hell" phrasing. Even Tobias' rather metallic guitar tone works here. The horns at the halfway up the drama for me neatly. I think the last album opener that had the same emotional and intellectual effect was "You're Gonna Need Someone on Your Side." There's a gang mentality, at last.

I Wish You Lonely

Feels like a break from the above. Still drives hard in its way. I like the use of repetition "never giving up," "heroine," and "never giving in." The lead guitar tone doesn't help as much on this track, at least to my ears.

Jacky

I'm fond of songs that are stories in their own right. I've found myself wondering if the Jacky character is a composite of artists and, if so, who. The guitars feel tangled up to ill-effect whereas the sound effects and synth and drums enhance one another. The bit with just the bass strumming is a clever intermezzo. If it occurred in chess, it would be called an "in-between move." The repetition combined with drum rolling toward the end

Spent the Day in Bed

Has grown on me a bit since I wrote a mini-review of it on my blog here. The music much more than the lyric. A thought: give this to Neiman Marcus. The lyrics would suit the clientele.

Home is a Question Mark

Returns to the filmic approach. I think less telling and more showing would have given this one more weight and lyricism, namely showing how he's been brave rather than declaring it.

I Bury the Living

Enters quietly, even plaintively. I really enjoy how the sound effects rise and fall, then introduce what sounds like Electroclash Morrissey. Again, I like a song with a story and, again, showing improves telling. The vocal melody and lyrical content have less of an effect on me. The guitars slink and slither. The story of a soldier by way of Morrissey could have been of enduring merit. His delivery feels a touch aimless compared to the preceding songs. Denouncements from the ultranationalist Americans will soon follow. I'd like to hear more like this. It's adventurous. Morrissey's lyrical brilliance derives largely from converting his internal landscape into an external one, highly detailed and nuanced and often rather funny. The difficulty in this lyric is that the exterior landscape is the.... exterior landscape that is hardly populated compared to M.'s internal one.

In Your Lap

The war / conflict theme gets a more personal treatment that works a lot more than the fictive narrative in the previous song. Morrissey singing "I just want my face in your lap" torchsong style through my headphones is really unfair at 10 pm on a Thursday night, let it be known. On a less libidinous note, the recent standard for the relationship-war/conflict motif is still "Start a War" by The National. If you disagree or have another song in mind, please say so. And that said, 58 year old Morrissey puts in a moving effort.

The Girl from Tel Aviv

Repetition again! I really like how the bossanova (?) mode meets the geography and the lyrical detail in a friendly hug. "All of my friends are in trouble" is probably a true statement for more people in my life that I'd like. "There's no need to go into that now" feels cheap as does "the land weeps oil." No it doesn't. Israel is the only country in the middle east that's oil poor. Oh Morrissey, won't you brush up on your international affairs and commodities reading? I thought a fellow like you would understand that the good ol' USA spends more per Israeli citizen than American citizen. It's the "American way," you know. Please consider that half-sarcasm.

When You Open Your Legs

Less affecting than it's spreading cousin "In Your Lap." The structure and lyrics felt very predictable. Easily my least favorite track thus far. It would have been fun to compress this into two minutes to lead into...

Who Will Protect Us from the Police

Electroclash (and brass) Morrissey returns to my delight. Holy hell, give me more of this. Musically encouraging. "We must pay for what we believe" as chanted against the background of synth and drums leaves me wanting more. The "baby and daddy" lyrical portion I could do without. Morrissey has no business calling me daddy.

Israel

Let's stop fetishizing countries, shall we? The intonation of "Is-ray-el" plods. And then it keeps plodding. The platitudes mixed in don't help the content either. But then I'm in the clime of bitch and wine.

Edit: Yes, I forgot "All the Young People Must Fall in Love." I liked the music hall notion, and after that.... Well, pardon me while I pen my album closer "Palestine".

Yours in wine and bitches,

S.

Last edited:
Have you listened to any of the new songs yet Quando? Do you have a favourite?

I haven’t heard them all yet. Waiting for the cd and want to save some of the pleasure and spreading it for a longer time. By hearing some of the songs I already know it’s going to be a great album for me and I didn’t have high expectations cause I really liked Worldpeace and could not believe his next album would be that great again.

I appreciate “Spent” but “ Jacky” I really like. Great song. Also really like “When You Open Your Legs.
I thought the live version of “All The Young People”was great. Bit worried about that one on the album but if this doesn’t get its rightful place in the setlists of the live shows he is insane.

I wish you lonely is a cracker too.

I heard some snippets of the other songs and I like the opening song.
Didn’t hear Tel Aviv girl who won’t kneel and Israel yet, in your lap neither.
Saving them to be listened to properly with my headphones.
His voice sounds better and stronger than ever and I do think the productionsound is fine.

I am really looking forward to hear the new album and I don’t care about his political views. He can do what he wants. As an artist he is FREE.
That is something great, you know.

It's all I could think of too when he says it :D

I've had the pleasure of listening to the album quite a few times, and my previous scores have probably changed, but apart from HIAQM, I.. uh, I honestly think Who will protect us from the police is the stand out song on LIHS, I keep listening to it, which is more than can be said for when WPINOYB came out. It really sounds like a Bowie song in a strange way, but I can't place it.

If you are supposed to be reviewing his album, why are you mentioning and criticising him as a person, his politics and his choice of friends? And then you DARE to call him Steven.

I don't often look at any 'reviews', I only did because Exeter was mentioned.

Ah do you have a connection? I'm glad you gave it a read anyway - very kind :)

Back
Top Bottom