Leeds - Millennium Square (July 12, 2023) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

How Soon Is Now? / Suedehead / Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before / Irish Blood, English Heart / Girlfriend In A Coma / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Notre-Dame / I Wish You Lonely / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / The Night Pop Dropped / Half A Person / Our Frank / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Knockabout World / The Loop / Please Please Please, Let Me Get What I Want / Jack The Ripper / Sweet And Tender Hooligan

Setlist courtesy of Anon.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's a tease.

He persists with these stale setlists, and then gives us a snippet of a classic which he hasn't sung for many years. But only a snippet.

Why doesn't he actually sing the song in full?

It's one of his very best. When he sings 'But I remembered you' the first time, it's really personal. And the whole atmosphere that Vini Reilly provided was outstanding on the recording. Maybe that's the tough part to recreate...but with Carmen and Camila they could certainly put their minds together and try.

Its a tricky one. I would love to see some different songs as well. But to see the joy and excitement from the people last night was a treasure. We spoke to many who had either only seen him once or twice or were attending their first show and the place went mental especially for IBEH. I always hope for a few surprises in the set, but last night was an absolute triumph. In the pubs after everyone was buzzing. Still hope for a couple of new additions by the time Aylesbury comes around.

What a satisfying description of events. Thank you!

Darren, I don't expect any details but would you know why Morrissey has insisted on hanging onto Jesse for so long?

I really feel that Tobias has done nothing to enhance nor sustain Morrissey's musical career (from compositions to guitar playing). If anything, Jesse has greatly detracted from Morrissey's music in the studio and very much on stage.

Why are we stuck with him? Have you ever heard rumors about their relationship? Maybe you can't say publicly but are there "things" we don't know about? Is there an inside story to Jesse and Morrissey?
The only thing I can offer is that only Morrissey knows why he keeps anyone around (or allows some to leave) that he does. That goes for band, crew and I suppose even friends.
There are rumors about Jesse (& various band members, past and present as discussed here and elsewhere) and why he’s the last man standing, but they’re just that, rumors. It wouldn’t be right to post anything here and I won’t.
I’d suggest it’s only fair to think Moz thinks highly of him as a musician and he feels he can trust him to do what he wants, when he wants. They obviously get along and are as close to being friends I guess as M is or has been with any band members. Some may not like it or think it’s prudent, but everything is ultimately his choice and we as fans should respect that.

Your attack is entirely unwarranted, but you are not original. Super fans always attack people who have or had actual access to the object of their desire, which you will never have. Get over it. You know nothing of dneuer's friendship with Alain, only what he chooses to share so it's really ridiculous of you to try to analyze it and dismiss it.

I think dneuer is very nice, he provides great commentary for the live shows and other things and is a total asset to this site, we are lucky to have him around.
Just a quick note of thanks to you and others that have had kind things to say, been supportive and been appreciative of what relatively little I’ve contributed here. I’d post individual “thanks” to all, but contradictory to my epic length replies (lol), I sincerely am not looking to make this about me 😊
People are entitled to their opinions and can think what they want. My feelings don’t get hurt easily. Constructive criticism is always welcome, but unfounded comments or utter fallacies will just be ignored. Again, I do appreciate those that chose to speak on my behalf. Cheers 😊

He does look gorgeous. Much better in real life than in most of the photos. But @dneuer ' s shots were always great.
Thank you. It was a privilege to be provided access to shoot the shows I have over the years. I’ll always be grateful. I would hope that in most of my shots, my love for the artist was evident and that I always tried to make him look his best. In a perfect world I won’t have shot my last M show, but if it’s no longer to be, so “ not be it”. Again thanks 🙏 😊

The only thing I can offer is that only Morrissey knows why he keeps anyone around (or allows some to leave) that he does. That goes for band, crew and I suppose even friends.
There are rumors about Jesse (& various band members, past and present as discussed here and elsewhere) and why he’s the last man standing, but they’re just that, rumors. It wouldn’t be right to post anything here and I won’t.
I’d suggest it’s only fair to think Moz thinks highly of him as a musician and he feels he can trust him to do what he wants, when he wants. They obviously get along and are as close to being friends I guess as M is or has been with any band members. Some may not like it or think it’s prudent, but everything is ultimately his choice and we as fans should respect that.
Thanks for taking the time to reply Darren, I appreciate it.

I'd only like to add that while Morrissey is clearly keeping around a hardcore "yes man" of mild talent then he shouldn't scratch his head and wonder why he has no record deal.

Cheers.

Mostly, it could be something as simple as he wanted a 'younger' band. Otherwise, there would have been no good reason to get rid of Gustavo, so perhaps Gustavo was tired of where the music was headed or maybe some of his ideas were getting shot down - which would've been very unfortunate because he was a gem in the group.

Jesse's smile has always seemed sincere to me. I would like to think that he wasn't some huge a$$hole when you're playing music with the guy --- because most pros 'act the part' and are at least borderline 'friendly'/can have a conversation. They don't usually completely flake out or bully unless there's some huge problem in their lives, like heavy drug addiction, divorce, etc. Plus it's about the energy in what you're doing anyway, and when you can really share that with your other band members - it's beautiful and loving (a feeling of excitement and respect that really lasts). We've seen this in Morrissey Band lineups in the past - not all, but some. Even though Jesse brings some noise when he plays, he certainly brings energy. He's also very committed, like you've alluded to.

A band of kids needs a 'Boz' - and Jesse is now that guy. Maybe Morrissey wanted a younger band, and may have been inspired to do so when they picked up the new drummer.

"No Management"

This is not correct. He has always been bad in figures, so he has a team who works for him to sign contracts for such events, otherwise, he would be screwed getting just peanuts like in the Smiths days when he saw nothing from the tours. He is not able to be his own manager and live agent whereas Robert Smith does everything, hiring the venues, getting local promoters, paying the crew, RS supervises everything.
Seems there are different kinds of management. The tour manager has stayed on and is getting on with it. When manager is mentioned in general, is it the talent manager that is meant? For Morrissey, wasn't Quest the last incarnation, which presumably is some kind of company, maybe or maybe not with a dedicated 'manager' for each 'star'? What does such a general manager do? Who would be examples of good ones? Does any such being post on here and have a vacancy?!

Why would it not be prudent for M to be friends with Jesse?

Thanks to everyone posting info, pics and videos from the show.
Glad everyone seems to have had an amazing time! (at least those that didn't go determined not to have a good time!)

Moz is right about everything. The most cancelled are still the most loved because they are brave. They are right. They are uncensored (by those that underarand them) and they are loved.

Lottery Winners were a great laugh and deserved a great crowd response, Slow Readers Club decent but I won’t be investigating further on my own accord, makes me wonder who these where chosen by - Moz himself or the venue as the gig was part of their summer series. I thought it was odd to see M have support having had none for the best part of 10 years.
Both bands are Moz fans, so probably he was involved somehow?

Morrissey: Live review as the controversial ex frontman of The Smiths headlines the Millennium Square in Leeds
There were no Union Jacks and St George’s flags that I saw at the show. In fact there were no flags at all. Why would the reviewer pretend there was…? And even if there was - which there wasn’t - so what?

The reality was that there were thousands of people enjoying themselves and having a laugh, and yet according to this guy it was full of nationalistic menace (which he appears to have conveniently inserted in himself). Says more about him than it does about anything else.

Last edited:
Direct links for review & gallery via the IG that took better pictures:
With 32 picture gallery:

Add:
"Morrissey, The Slow Readers Club & Lottery Winners, Millennium Square. 12th July 2023"

Back
Top Bottom