Johnny Marr - The Messenger - Video

I liked it until he started singing and then it all went a bit Stone Roses. Really hope this isn't the first single.

I have to say I didn't like this as much as I hoped I would. The song was kind of uninteresting to me until the sort of breakdown around 2:25, and towards the end it started to drag a bit. Maybe I need to get it in my head some more. I can't decide if I like the video or not. Parts of it are cool.

I have to say I didn't like this as much as I hoped I would. The song was kind of uninteresting to me until the sort of breakdown around 2:25, and towards the end it started to drag a bit. Maybe I need to get it in my head some more. I can't decide if I like the video or not. Parts of it are cool.

It's weird choice, I don't think it's as good as "European Me" and I assumed that EM would be the obvious first single. Then again..:squiffy:

I liked it until he started singing and then it all went a bit Stone Roses. Really hope this isn't the first single.

Ian Brown did spring to mind when the vocals began. A little weak compared with the other clips he's released

Johnny Marr - The Messenger

Johnny Marr - The Messenger. Taken from his forthcoming 2013 self-titled record

edit: sorry didn't see this posted in the General Discussion forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
I, too, really like the music, the vocals aren't bad at all (in my view), and the video is pretty cool. I doubt it'll be my favourite off the album though; the snippets of "The Trap" and "European Me" were just outstanding.

It's weird choice, I don't think it's as good as "European Me" and I assumed that EM would be the obvious first single. Then again..:squiffy:

Same thoughts here.

I remember when Johnny and the band played at the Deaf Institute - I thought Generate! Generate! was fantastic. Can't wait to hear the studio version.

P.

the start is a shot to the heart, pure smiths, the rest is "madchester" (more stone roses).
beautiful song, i like it.
i have good hopes for the record

What I want to know is: if Morrissey put out a song with backing music like this, what would you think?

What I want to know is: if Morrissey put out a song with backing music like this, what would you think?

Depends on the vocal melody, but I don't think the guitar riffs are anything amazing if that's what you mean? I doubt his style would fit with some of the licks

Depends on the vocal melody, but I don't think the guitar riffs are anything amazing if that's what you mean? I doubt his style would fit with some of the licks

When was the last time you heard an "amazing guitar riff" in a Morrissey song? It's been years as far as I'm concerned...

Oh dear - it's heartbreaking isn't it?
It's not the best thing Marr's ever done, but the music is just light years better than almost everything Morrissey's put out in the last 10 years.
Crisp, clear, melodic guitar lines, interesting rhythms, instantly appealing chord progressions. How wonderful would it be to hear Morrissey singing beautifully over this, compared with the horrible joyless bluster of the likes of People Are The Same Everywhere?
The lyrics aren't great but the singing's ok. I will definitely buy the album. Presumably with all this (slightly misleading) talk of first solo album, it will just be marketed as Johnny Marr (i.e. not the Healers)? It will be interesting to see how the songs are received critically and commercially. It's surely catchy enough (and Marr is cool enough) for radio stations to play it (maybe Radio 2, Xfm, Absolute). If it does reasonably well, commercially, and picks up some decent reviews, I expect Marr will continue on this trajectory. If it gets mauled by the critics and ignored by radio, he'll have to reconsider his options...

Last edited:
... It will be interesting to see how the songs are received critically and commercially. It's surely catchy enough (and Marr is cool enough) for radio stations to play it (maybe Radio 2, Xfm, Absolute). If it does reasonably well commercially, and picks up some decent reviews, I expect Marr will continue on this trajectory. If it gets mauled by the critics and ignored by radio, he'll have to reconsider his options...

Well he won't get played much, if at all, on what used to be the bastion of all things Smiths, the World Famous KROQ... Marr didn't even finish in the top eleven in their poll "Who’s The Greatest Guitar Player In Alternative Rock?".

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threa...ive-Rock-Guitarists?highlight=greatest+Guitar
http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threa...-Rock-(Johnny-Marr)?highlight=greatest+Guitar

When was the last time you heard an "amazing guitar riff" in a Morrissey song? It's been years as far as I'm concerned...

How does that qualify The Messenger?

It makes it musically better than anything Morrissey has released since 1997.

So you like The Messenger, I take it? Not sure how that logic works though. Saying Morrissey hasn't provided a great guitar riff for years doesn't work as a defence for Johnny's being poor, or prove that it's good?

I'd think it was a f***ing massive improvement, but that doesn't make it good. It just makes it "not awful".

Back
Top Bottom