Votes: 35 31.5%
  • No, I've liked it since the beginning

Votes: 54 48.6%
  • No, I didn't particularly like it at the start, and still don't now

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • Don't know, don't care

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
I actually think it's a shrinker. I think a bit less of it than I did when I first listened to it.

Lol & likewise.

"It shrinks"? ... "Like a frightened turtle". :lbf:

The real question here is if Morrissey is actually a grower or a shower. Oh, wait? What? We aren't in the frink thread? My apologies.

I'll answer legitimately eventually. I promise.

I'm gonna say he's a grower. And a shrinker. It happens to all the guys, right? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it was really good when it came out & I still do.
Except for, bizarrely enough, Something Is Squeezing My Skull which I now can't bloody stand.

I felt rather lukewarm when I listened to it the first two or three times; the only tracks that instantly clicked with me were "Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed" and "When I Last Spoke To Carol." It took seeing "Something is Squeezing my Skull" and "Black Cloud" live for me to fully appreciate those tracks, and most of the other ones just required multiple listens. I still honestly don't get what's so great about "It's Not Your Birthday Anymore" though, so I skip that during most of my listens. So, yes, definite grower for me.

Since my first listening I've liked this album. YoR is definitely one of most important and better album of Morrissey's career.

I remember when I was awaiting for YoR's release I was feared that it were not all I was hoping. However, I've seen a note that it was leaked on internet and soon I got mine.

I actually think it's a shrinker. I think a bit less of it than I did when I first listened to it.

I'm afraid I agree - I can't say the other voting options apply for me! But, then, I also thought that You Were Good In Your Time was the key track and almost no one else does so I'm in the minority on the whole.

I still have to skip through That's How People Grow Up, which I have always felt is tragically bad. I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris is pleasant enough, but "Morrissey by numbers." And this album was proof that Jesse Tobias should never be relied on to provide more than three songs on a future album. If one day goodbye will be farewell, then one day it will be felt that "I'm OK By Myself" is vastly overrated.

Again, in the minority, but the production on RotT was more to my liking than the "everything turned up to 10" style of YoR. No dispect to Jerry Finn, but I was hoping for something more textured a la Vauxhall.

<shrug> So it's roll on new album, I guess.

Cheers,
Jamie

This might deserve it's own thread but why was the might It's Not Your Birthday played only once (?) on the whole tour? Vocals too taxing? Too complex to reproduce live? Some other reason?

I think it hurts him to sing it. Like "Come Back To Camden."

'Mama Lay Softly' is really special to me! The melody of his vocals is fascinating. For example; try to sing it yourself without music f.i. in the shower. You'll be amazed how it goes up and down. It's 'a murder song'. I loved it from the very first time I've heard it. Bravo Morrissey :thumb:

Last edited:
'Mama Lay Softly' is really special to me! The melody of his vocals is fascinating. For example; try to sing it yourself without music f.i. in the shower. You'll be amased how it goes up and down. It's 'a murder song'. I loved it from the very first time I've heard it. Bravo Morrissey :thumb:

I completely agree. Personally I think it's one of his best vocal melodies to date.

I loved it the second time I heard it. BUT...the first time I heard it, I was in a car full of people and couldn't listen properly.

It's fairly average by Mozza standards, that is to say it's brilliant but maybe lacking in really killer tracks.

Better than Kill Uncle, Viva Hate and Maladjusted but it ranks below Arsenal, Vauxhall, Southpaw, YAtQ and Ringleader.

I liked YOR from the first time I heard it but not like I liked the others. It is growing on me much more every time I play it. Certainly there are songs that I truly love now, but unlike other releases there are songs I truly can say I don't like. I don't like Black Cloud really at all. I've tried, too. Something is Squeezing My Skull has definitely gone up in my ratings but definitely not on the top of the list. Having said that I must point out that You Were Good In Your Time is my absolute favorite on the album. I love the lyrics to it and the whole dramatic intro, extro are perfect for it, I think. The words are tragically beautiful. Morrissey's voice suits that song perfectly. He sounds like he feels it. Time takes all breath away. It takes you back to time's tide will swallow you and other significant lyrics we all identify with. I do think that Shame is the Name and Because of My Poor Education, which are B-sides, are better than some of the songs on the album. Mozzer does that a lot, though. Some of his B sides are wonderful. Let me point out Skin Storm and My Dearest Love just to name two. I love THPGU, always have, always will. It is just catchy, juvenile and something I sing very loudly to. I think Moz is allowed to produce a song like that from time to time that isn't quite so deep. Makes me think the lyrics were written in 10 minutes. Love it. Says something, too, which justifies listening to it.

All in all, YOR is not my favorite Moz album and probably never will be. I do play it, though, and I have every other thing he ever did. Let's face it Ringleader was a tough act to follow. Seeing him live cinched the deal for me. (Still didn't get Black Cloud, though)???

I liked YOR from the first time I heard it but not like I liked the others. It is growing on me much more every time I play it. Certainly there are songs that I truly love now, but unlike other releases there are songs I truly can say I don't like. I don't like Black Cloud really at all. I've tried, too. Something is Squeezing My Skull has definitely gone up in my ratings but definitely not on the top of the list. Having said that I must point out that You Were Good In Your Time is my absolute favorite on the album. I love the lyrics to it and the whole dramatic intro, extro are perfect for it, I think. The words are tragically beautiful. Morrissey's voice suits that song perfectly. He sounds like he feels it. Time takes all breath away. It takes you back to time's tide will swallow you and other significant lyrics we all identify with. I do think that Shame is the Name and Because of My Poor Education, which are B-sides, are better than some of the songs on the album. Mozzer does that a lot, though. Some of his B sides are wonderful. Let me point out Skin Storm and My Dearest Love just to name two. I love THPGU, always have, always will. It is just catchy, juvenile and something I sing very loudly to. I think Moz is allowed to produce a song like that from time to time that isn't quite so deep. Makes me think the lyrics were written in 10 minutes. Love it. Says something, too, which justifies listening to it.

All in all, YOR is not my favorite Moz album and probably never will be. I do play it, though, and I have every other thing he ever did. Let's face it Ringleader was a tough act to follow. Seeing him live cinched the deal for me. (Still didn't get Black Cloud, though)???

Ringleader, a tough act to follow?
Err, not really. Seems to be going down (in posterity) as his second worst ever album (after Kill Uncle)...

Sorry I meant You Are the Quarry. You are right about Ringleader, but even that has at least four great songs on it.

I love all of it,
I will admit though that i HATED Carol to begin with, I had my hand over my mouth in shock when i first heard it, and then i got it into my head that it was the music form a BAD cowboy film, which did nowt to help its cause..

And then he put it in the setlist, :horny:
now I ADORE IT, :rolleyes::lbf:

I love all of it,
I will admit though that i HATED Carol to begin with, I had my hand over my mouth in shock when i first heard it, and then i got it into my head that it was the music form a BAD cowboy film, which did nowt to help its cause..

And then he put it in the setlist, :horny:
now I ADORE IT, :rolleyes::lbf:

That does happen alot with Morrissey. I tend to see album releases as a preamble to the real experience which is the live event. Morrissey live is where it's at cats:cool:

I think it's as immediately appealing a group of songs they've made perhaps ever. Certainly over the past few albums.

But that kind of takes away from the replay value a bit in my opinion.

So, no, it's not a grower. I find most Morrissey albums to be growers, some longer than others to appreciate.

Back
Top Bottom