Impact’s Music Essentials: The Smiths, by Ayman Ahmer (March 4, 2024)

goinghome

you must not tamper with arrangements
Intelligent? Yes. Irreverent? Perhaps. Iconic? Absolutely. The Smiths were the quintessential British indie-rock band of the 80s, best known for their immaculate guitar riffs and eccentric lyrics. From 1982 to 1987, Morrissey and Johnny Marr formed one of the most prolific musical partnerships seen since Lennon and McCartney. They may have only lasted only five years as a group, but remain as relevant and influential as ever. Having been introduced to the Smiths by my dad at a young age, I grew to admire their wonderfully unique discography. Impact’s Ayman Ahmer gives a selection of his favourite tracks…

Well I Wonder
(1985)

In this heart-breaking song of unrequited love, Morrissey is an embodiment of vulnerability. Introduced by Marr’s warm and comforting guitar riff, there is an immediate sense of relatability to this song. Sitting on your bed, daydreaming about what life could be like with the girl of your dreams is a pretty common emotion shared by teenagers. Suffocated by this intangible feeling, Morrissey wonders whether he will ever be recognised or acknowledged by this person he idolises.

Girlfriend In A Coma, Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before, Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want, There Is A Light That Never Goes Out, and How Soon Is Now, are also profiled.

Back
Top Bottom