I'd like your help please

Researcher

Hi there,

I'm looking for some opinions and answers to some questions I have. I'm writing a dissertation on androgyny in popular music and am including Morrissey for his use of falsetto and also his image. I'd be really grateful if anyone wanted to comment on these aspects of his music? For example, Is it a factor for you in liking his music? Is it just part of who he is? Do you think it attracts a specific audience? Any comments would be great and hope this doesn't annoy too many people me asking like this. I just need some opinions from fans!

Thank you!!
:)

pfewww there is so much to say about that.........
and it's all been said. Maybe read a book? there are many written about him an the smiths

I don't think his image is especially androgynous. He's an extremely handsome man, neither effeminate nor hypermasculine. In the early days, he did play with feminine clothing, with the ladies' shirts and the beads. But he hasn't dressed like that in 20 years, at least.

Vocally, I don't think his use of falsetto is androgynous, either. He's just always used his entire voice, the grunts, the growls, yodels, falsetto, along with hisses and whispers and velvet and silk... If you're looking for vocal androgyny, wouldn't you be better rewarded looking at Jimmy Somerville and Alison Moyet? Or Jimmy Scott, but that's not pop.

I did see an interesting article- I think it was someone's dissertation- on Morrissey's use of Camp imagery, which is probably a better framework for looking at his play with gender markers. I don't recall where I found it and I don't have a link, but I'm sure you can find it, it's out here somewhere on the net.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from including Morrissey in your research, but I think this is one area where Morrissey is misunderstood. He doesn't really inspire suicides, and he's not a "gay" artist or a "straight" one either. He just is what he is.

Hi there,

I'm looking for some opinions and answers to some questions I have. I'm writing a dissertation on androgyny in popular music and am including Morrissey for his use of falsetto and also his image. I'd be really grateful if anyone wanted to comment on these aspects of his music? For example, Is it a factor for you in liking his music? Is it just part of who he is? Do you think it attracts a specific audience? Any comments would be great and hope this doesn't annoy too many people me asking like this. I just need some opinions from fans!

I hope that your dissertation includes a discussion about Prince, at least 1980s Prince. He sang almost exclusively in falsetto for his first 3 albums. Dirty Mind and Controversy (whose title track asked, "Am i black or white?/Am I straight, or gay?" are about as androgynous as music got back then, and he even recorded an entire album in the guise of a female alter ego, which never got released, but which spawned many b-sides & lost songs put on other albums (Sign 'o' the Times, Lovesexy).

will your 'desertion' be published in the 'enemy'?
what feedback have you had from bowies sites eh?

grrr

love

Grim

I don't really consider Morrissey to be adrogynous, even when he played with women's clothes.

Check out Prince, David Bowie, and Marilyn Manson.

"I'm writing a dissertation on androgyny in popular music and am including Morrissey for his use of falsetto and also his image. I'd be really grateful if anyone wanted to comment on these aspects of his music? For example, Is it a factor for you in liking his music? Is it just part of who he is? Do you think it attracts a specific audience?"

Androgyny? When I was a teenager my first fascination with that
word was probably David Bowie. Androgyny is indeed a tantalizing,
intriguing state of being; of course presentation being the media's
food for thought. I believe Mr. Morrissey was well and truly aware
that his personal presentation interested his peers and those younger
than him and in the world of music fashion he has certainly made
his mark. Although not really outrageous. I think the "This Charming
Man" film clip tugged at the hearts of many.
There is a overtly flirtatious
feel about the whole androgyny thing. But saying all that, I do think
it is just part of who Mr. Morrissey is and does and will attract anyone else who feels the same way.....

THIS
will help you out with the Prince part.

Thanks! I forgot how hysterical that thing is! :D
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Why don't you purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka?"

LOL!
"I wish I can say the same for you, and your crew of flunkies. Do you guys want some grapes . . . bitches" :D
princeChappelle.jpg

'I KNOW you didnt get those shirts from the men's department!"

(mind you, i am pulling out all these lines w/out even clicking on that link. ive just seen the thing so many damn times, i have it memorized"

"I dare you to challenge Prince to a game of ball...CHALLENGE HIM!"

'I KNOW you didnt get those shirts from the men's department!"

(mind you, i am pulling out all these lines w/out even clicking on that link. ive just seen the thing so many damn times, i have it memorized"

"I dare you to challenge Prince to a game of ball...CHALLENGE HIM!"

haha!, I hear ya...think I saw this, the Rick James and the Wayne Brady thingy waaay too many times for my own good.
"Make sure your crew's there ta witness it, cuz you just might get embarrassed"
prince_pancakes.jpg

Speaking of which, I might have to go watch the Rick James one now, "the milk's gone bad!" haha

Last edited:
"Make sure your crew's there ta witness it, cuz you just might get embarrassed"
prince_pancakes.jpg

I might have to go watch the Rick James one down, "the milk's gone bad!" haha

hahaha, the Rick James ones are classic too! i like when he dirties up Charlie Murphy's couch with his boots. "f*** yo' couch, *****, f*** yo' couch!"

(if you've seen the sketch you know why those stars are there, ahem...)

I recall Morrissey mentioning not so long ago that his voice has changed in recent years, and he's now more comfortable singing in a higher register. What that might have to do with the current debate, God knows, but it's tenuously relevant.

good call with the stars...um...yeah...we'll leave it at that. :o

"I wish I had more hands, so I could give them t!ttie$ 4 thumbs down! "
:D
rick_james_couch2.gif

good call with the stars...um...yeah...we'll leave it at that. :o

"I wish I had more hands, so I could give them t!ttie$ 4 thumbs down! "

rick_james_couch2.gif

great gif!!!! lolz

"what did the 5 fingers say to the face???"
520826341_m.gif

"SLAP!!!"

ok im pretty sure every non-American reading this stuff has no idea what the hell we're talking about, haha.

god, i totally wanna get drunk and watch Chappelle's show now!!! :p

Back
Top Bottom