I swear I was there

There is a scene with morrissey in the DVD extras. He gets into Tony Wilson's car with some record and Tony asks him: So what's your name? - Steven Morrissey. How old are you, Steven Morrissey? - Seventeen.
And I am pretty sure that's completely made up, just as some other things in that movie were.

Which comments?

He said that every time the see each other Tony acts like they've never met before. (although they even worked in one open-plan office for a while).
He doesn't believe Tony Wilson was really there, but I know that there are testemonies from Howard Devoto and Glen Matlock that he was. That made me think he might have some beef against Wilson.

And I am pretty sure that's completely made up, just as some other things in that movie were.
Well, I'm not quite sure what this scene is referring to either. I know Morrissey sent Tony Wilson the NYD sleeve asking if there could be more music like this on TV.

He doesn't believe Tony Wilson was really there, but I know that there are testemonies from Howard Devoto and Glen Matlock that he was. That made me think he might have some beef against Wilson.

I don't think he would make 50% of his book being Tony Wilson's comments, if he didn't believe Tony was there.

Tony was on the first gig and missed the second as he was on holidays. Furthermore the second part of the book is centered around Sex Pistols' appearance on Granada TV with Tony Wilson being the only person, who has seen them life and who did his best to make their TV appearance happening.

Au contraire, I think it was Devoto or other Buzzcocks members who couldn't recollect Tony being there.

P.S. The book really worth reading.

Oh, now I see what you meant by 'tricky'...:rolleyes: Would 'impossible' be the more suitable word?

Not quite impossible, someone on here rather bizarrely suggested only trying to register when the time ends on a 6, ie 15:06, 17:26, 5:46, strange but it worked for me after trying unsuccessfully for ages.

Well, I'm not quite sure what this scene is referring to either. I know Morrissey sent Tony Wilson the NYD sleeve asking if there could be more music like this on TV.
Yes, and that's all that happened. I don't think they met until a few years later.

I don't think he would make 50% of his book being Tony Wilson's comments, if he didn't believe Tony was there.

Tony was on the first gig and missed the second as he was on holidays. Furthermore the second part of the book is centered around Sex Pistols' appearance on Granada TV with Tony Wilson being the only person, who has seen them life and who did his best to make their TV appearance happening.

Au contraire, I think it was Devoto or other Buzzcocks members who couldn't recollect Tony being there.

P.S. The book really worth reading.
All right... Well, that's really strange, because Nolan's comments in the press were totally different. There was an article about the Lesser Free Trade gigs in the Mojo Classic issue "Morrissey and the Story of Manchester", and Nolan was quoted saying that Sumner, Hook, Morrissey, Paul Morley...were definitely there, that Mick Hucknall wasn't, and that there is a big question if Tony Wilson was there, because some people say they remember him being there, but some don't remember him (I can't recollect the names, and I lent the magazine to a friend), and Wilson would have been the most famous person there. But in the same article, Howard Devoto mentions that he invited Wilson and that he came to the gig.

Morrissey didnt pull his part from the film, he refused permission for 'This Charming Man' to be used in the soundtrack in support of Linder who definately did object to the way her character was portrayed in the film.
Morrissey's bit was left on the cutting room floor and as Sister says, used in the extras on the DVD. If you look carefully on the main film, you can very very briefly see Morrissey stood at the back of the hall during The Pistols shots. Interestingly, the shots of The Sex Pistols (I mean the real ones not the actors that they intersperse at the same time) was actually taken at that very first Manchester gig.

The Goat

Well it was a tall slim lad with a quiff.
Of course Morrissey didnt have a quiff then at all.
Mainly people watch the action of films where as i having watched a film a few times then look in the background. - Of course, The Goat myself is an extra in the film in the Hacienda shots!!

By the way, at least the current edition of 'I swear I was there' spells Morrissey with two 's' rather than just one throughout the 1st edition that I have!

Back
Top Bottom