I Am Hated For Loving

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
I've been listening to this song again for a few days now. I think it has grown on me to be one of the all-time greats. The production is ethereal and yet clear, the rolling bass, Alain's beautiful guitar line, pattered drums, and beautiful vocals. Yes, one of the very best. And then right at the end, the gorgeous key change and harmonised "woah"s. Stunning stuff. Anyone else agree?

Peter

Agreed, it's devine.

I've been listening to this song again for a few days now. I think it has grown on me to be one of the all-time greats. The production is ethereal and yet clear, the rolling bass, Alain's beautiful guitar line, pattered drums, and beautiful vocals. Yes, one of the very best. And then right at the end, the gorgeous key change and harmonised "woah"s. Stunning stuff. Anyone else agree?

Peter

I love how it begins. When I hear those guitars, I know I am where I should be. For some reason I usually listen to it while travelling and this song is my safe haven. Absolutely perfect! :)

When I first listened to Vauxhall this one stood out as my immediate favourite. The guitars are just sooooo pretty, and the way he sings it. Its swoonsome! He hasn't played this much live either, has he. Maybe time to bring it back?

It's a pity it was only played live for a short time in 2000. Picking the best song of V&I is an impossible task. My ultimate moz gig would be this album played from start to finish with a lengthy greatest hits encore. Here's to dreaming.....

Peter

Yes. One of my faves from Vauvau.

I am hated for loving
I am hated for loving
Anonymous call, a poison pen
A brick in the small of the back again
I still dont belong
To anyone - I am mine

And I am hated for loving
I am haunted for wanting
A brick in the ... ah ...
I still dont belong
To anyone - I am mine

I am falling
With no-one to catch me
I am falling
And theres still
No-one to catch me
Ah ..
A brick in the ... ah ...
I just dont belong
To anywhere
I just dont belong
Mmm ...
Ah ...

A brick in the small of the back?
Who do you think makes the anonymous call and uses the poison pen?

It seems to me that the person who makes the anonymous call and uses the poison pen is the same person who holds a knife and a revolver in "I'm OK By Myself". That is, I don't think they're any particular persons, but a group of people...a general "you". He's asserting his constant outsider status, and reminding us of the reasons why he chooses to remain outside: because people are treacherous, petty, cruel.

A brick in the aaaaaaahhhh....

Class.

agreed, love that part.

love this song. so many great lines. 'i am falling and there's STILL no-one to catch me.' 'i am mine.' the phrase/slant rhyme 'haunted for wanting.'

all the sighing. dreamy, unique yet melodic guitar. i especially love the change in melody around 2:57/ the end.

Great song. Love it. It's one of his songs I can really feel.

I've always considered it 'my song'. I used to give so much of myself and get nothing in return...I can't say that so much now :) tho I'll always be 'hated' for loving Morrissey. Not by anyone here, of course.

Tags
hopeless
Back
Top Bottom