Here's Johnny: Marr on Morrissey, guitars and whether the Smiths will ever reform

I still think it would be interesting if we could just have both of them in a room together -- no reformation, no high-range offers, just an interview with Morrissey and Marr. It could be about cheese, FCS! I just want to see them in the same friggin camera frame as they stand now! :blushing:

"I've mentioned that Cemetry Gates, from their album of that year, The Queen Is Dead, is my favourite Smiths song. Sportingly, Marr decides he must play it for me. Not only that - he'll play it for me on the very guitar on which he wrote the melody all those years ago. He plucks the guitar, a six-string Martin D-35 acoustic, from the studio rack and prepares to play. However, many years have passed since he last performed Cemetry Gates, and the chord sequence is proving elusive. Finally remembering how it goes, Marr launches into a beautiful, note-perfect rendition of the song."

Would love to have heard that...

he looks young and slim! Morrissey in comparison is fatty and old.

Its over, never a Smiths reunion

I see Johnny with sneakers on, and MORRISSEY said something harsh in
his Smiths days even [I beleieve] about people wearing sneakers

[it was againt robert 'cure sneaker' smith]

:tears:

"I can't speak for Morrissey, but I know that I'm too busy right now to get the Smith on the road again"

and another nail is driven into the Smiths coffin

Spandau are reforming, so they put on a big chicken-in-the-basket event, which is all they amounted to in the first place. Maybe someone should pay them £20 million not to reform.

:lbf: I agree. ;)

You throw enough money in front of all of them, watch how fast they reform. Maybe not a full on Smiths reunion, but, You throw $20-$30-$40 mill in front of Johnny and Mozzer, for that same "handful of gigs", and attitudes change. You can hate me, and I can hate you, for that kind of dough, people dont "hate" each other as much as they claim.

We've all heard some of the most successful bnads claim they'd never "reform", only to have some promoter throw an obscene amount of $$$$ in front of them, and "suddenly" they get back together. Happens quite often. Wouldnt surprise me in the least bit. Johnny seemed to leave the door open for it with what he said @ the end.

:guitar:UMM - Led Zeppelin did it for free.... not a dime.. yep - makes me proud

No they didn't, those Knebworth gigs in the late 70's were a real cash-cow. There's a good account of them from all involved in a recent edition of Q. Unless I read it wrong.

Peter

EDIT - and, as has been pointed out before, neither Marr nor Morrissey have explicitly said that a reunion will NOT happen, they always couch it in terms like "Why would I?", "I'm too busy", "I'd rather eat my own testicles", but I don't think either of them has said it will never happen.

EDIT again - but if they hadn't broken up by 1979, then I'm talking arse. Again.

Last edited:
I guess I am talking about their 02 gig. Not while the band was "officially" a band... but after the untimely death of the greatest rock drummer that walked the earth..

Last edited:
That was a very interesting interview, thanks for posting. I seem to remember Morrissey used the exact same words to describe The Smiths- "a life support machine".

I still think it would be interesting if we could just have both of them in a room together -- no reformation, no high-range offers, just an interview with Morrissey and Marr. It could be about cheese, FCS! I just want to see them in the same friggin camera frame as they stand now! :blushing:

I for one would love to see this.

:guitar:UMM - Led Zeppelin did it for free.... not a dime.. yep - makes me proud

The Leds are one of the richest and most successful pop groups of all time. They've sold over 100 million records worldwide.
The Smiths operated on a fraction of that scale, so there's no real comparison between the two.

I think he's starting to look a little like Keith Richards, myself. Anyone else see that? :blushing: Although, Keith Richards, himself, is starting to look like one of the unholy army of the undead, IMO. Gawsh, Johnny, whydja have to idolize him THAT much -- we don't want to see a corpse strummming along whenever the Smiths actually reunite :o

Actually..thinking about it..that would be kinda cool :p

EDIT - and, as has been pointed out before, neither Marr nor Morrissey have explicitly said that a reunion will NOT happen, they always couch it in terms like "Why would I?", "I'm too busy", "I'd rather eat my own testicles", but I don't think either of them has said it will never happen.

Idk, personally, "I'd rather eat my own testicles" sounds like a never to me :o

Back
Top Bottom