Have you seen "The Importance of Being Morrissey"?

Have you seen "The Importance of Being Morrissey"?

• Yes, in its entirety

Votes: 93 89.4%
  • No, not at all

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • I've seen bits and pieces of it, but not all of it

Votes: 4 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Musings

Ubermember
I was just thinking about this today and wondered what everyone thought about it.

If you have seen it, what did you think of it? (i.e., your major impressions and/or "beef" with it...)

If not, why not?

Last edited:
I thought it was a bit crap myself. A programme about Morrissey for people who aren't Morrissey fans. Morrissey for beginners. Pretty pointless really because people who aren't Morrissey fans probably wouldn't want to watch it. I'd love to see a proper in-depth tv interview one day about his actual work rather than the gossip and personal life stuff.

I liked it very much. My only real objection is that Bono was picked as one of the supposedly insightful commentators. He is such a hopeless, boring person and his band has no relation whatsoever to the music of the Smiths or Morrissey. It really makes you wonder what Moz thought about that.

Actually, I think Bono and Morrissey are on pretty friendly terms, with Bono's Irish Heart, English Blood making for interesting contrast, however.

Morrissey once presented Bono with an award (can anyone remember exactly what it was for?), and they seemed happy to see one another, seemed as though they were old friends reunited or hadn't seen each other in a while.

As far as the documentary goes, I have to say that that James O'Brien really got under my skin. And not in a good way.

Last edited:
Musings said:
Actually, I think Bono and Morrissey are on pretty friendly terms

Really? I had no idea. It doesn't make Bono a bit more interesting in my book, though. I hate U2 with a vengeance and Bono's Gandhi complex really gets on my tits.

Well, as any peepholic I was happy to get an insight into parts of his daily life but otherwise, didn't learn anything dramatically new and insightful and was quite unimpressed with some people they chose to interview (J.K. Rowling, Bono ...)

Otherwise it was an ok 50 minutes, I have it downloaded and watch it from time to time (mainly during those weeks when Moz runs through my mind a lot). I as well would like to see a documentary that deals with his music much more then his sexual orientation and tea parties with Nancy Sinatra ...

I thought it was interesting, different than anything I'd ever seen. Although I felt it was a bit contrived at points, especially the bit with him in a strip club.

Although I do love how he puts his tongue in his cheek when he's embarrased.

Oh, and I agree about the James O'Brien thing...he came off as sort of a pretentious prick didn't he? (Although I'm sure he's lovely in real life)

I thought Bono's comment about almost crashing his car when he first heard Girlfriend in a Coma was pretty funny.

Other than that, I didn't get much out of the doc. You'd have to be a real neophyte to find it enlightening.

I think it's funny to see how uncomfortable he looks when he meets that fan and she says something like "you have made so many people so happy". I can really relate to the feeling when someone say something nice to you and you don't know how to react. And then he says "well I didn't mean to" LOL

And James O'brien! AAargh! He's probably a nice guy, but MY GOD the way he talks is just so annoying!

And I don't remember the name of that author that is interviewed in a bar, but he seems so obsessed with the homo-erotic aspect of Morrissey, it's so boring!

thaxter tewksbury said:
Wow, so far I'm the only sad bastard who has not seen this thing.

No, not the only one. I also found Bonos comment funny. I am u2 fan also although ...what becomes of Bono is another thing. But Bono in 1985 is still great to me.

There where a couple of funny bits when Moz is in the house and puts on a Diana Dors record, it reminded me of when I'd put on a Smiths record for friends to listen to and they would screw up their faces as I danced about, and when Moz tells the crew not to film his Fax machine, cause it's the cheapest on the market hahaha

No nothing at all if i'm honest i am not a televison or a film person i have bad concentration ,so i'd proberly have to watch 15 minute installments ..it takes me three days to watch M in Manchester:eek:

Thanks for pointing out it's on youtube vicarinatutugal, that's information to a Luddite such as I!
I just watched it and loved it. I felt emotional throughout, mainly because I share our Morrissey's views and values.

Nice to see the film again after a long time. Noel Gallagher had me swinging between hating him for his coarse laddishness and belly-laughing at his outspokeness.

If anyone finds the parallel he draws between butchering animals and killing children strange, consider as Morrissey says, both are vulnerable and look to us for protection.

Seen it, loved it. Or rather love MOZ! :D

I was also happy to see that the interview pieces was OK. The most important thing for me was that the interviewer was not an awkward and boring character who became uneasy when Moz acted as himself ( = saying sofisticated, humorous things that are to complicated för the every day dumbass)...

(I've seen one truly horrific interview, think it was the Jools Holland show on may 21 2004 - look it up at youtube. Moz was as always gloriously whitty and adorably shy - probably embarrased on behalf of mr Hollands poor interviewing skills - but me Holland was so crappy, dull and stupid I almost had a stroke... )

Two priceless quotes from the doc:

”I really like mexican people. I find them so terribly nice. And they have fantastic hair and fantastic skin, and usually really good teeth. Great combination!”

”All I said was: ’Bring me the head of Elton John!’... which would be one instance when meat would not be murder... if it was on a plate... (giggle)”

Last edited:
I saw it...
'twas good
could have done without all that Gallagher commentary-didn't Morrissey even claim that Oasis was boring?

It is better than all those other Smiths/Morrissey things out there, like Jewel in the Crown or Smiths:Under Review

I, too wish she (Rowling) would just have not have appeared. Goofy bastard.

I did however like Noel going off like he does.

I loved it ...just cause it was about him...after it ended I said to myself "well is very important to be Morrissey"

The only bit I enjoyed was him getting a haircut and then having to get stuck in at the end to sort the barnett out. Ahh...I know that feeling well.

Back
Top Bottom