Gulf oil spill

seagull.jpg

swords-foils-16.jpg

031408-pill.jpg

Gull
Foils
Pill

DO ANOTHER ONE DO ANOTHER ONE!:p (I've spent the day with 50 kindergartners, their ways are very contagious. :D)

ICE Running Immigration Raids on Oil-Spill Workers

Federal immigration officials have been visiting command centers on the Gulf Coast to check the immigration status of response workers hired by BP and its contractors to clean up the immense oil spill.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) in Louisiana confirmed that its agents had visited two large command centers—which are staging areas for the response efforts and are sealed off to the public—to verify that the workers there were legal residents.

"We visited just to ensure that people who are legally here can compete for those jobs—those people who are having so many problems," said Temple H. Black, a spokesman for ICE in Louisiana.

Granted, undocumented work is illegal and all, and Black is just echoing a popular sentiment in Southern Louisiana, where some people harbor resentment toward the Hispanic laborers who stayed after they'd come to help clean up after Katrina, and some people put up signs like this:
2cpthfc.jpg

But it seems like it might be time to prioritize. As do many crisis-management operations, the Deepwater Horizon response has its share of miscommunication, chain-of-command confusion, counterproductive bureaucracy, and general clusterf***ery. Federal agents rounding everybody up and checking IDs isn't going to help things.

And that's not the only distraction from keeping eyes on the cleanup prize. As I've reported, there are only 60 workers cleaning up Elmer's Island, Louisiana, a wildlife refuge inundated by crude, and many are already disgruntled about being mistreated or not getting paid. Then, last week, they were required to undergo drug testing. According to workers based on the island, out of the first 50 employees tested, 46 failed and 2 refused, resulting in 48 firings in one day. (BP hasn't said anything about the tests.) Elmer the BP mole, who is in a position to know this but I can't tell you what that position is because he'd get fired, says that these guys are definitely not junkies and crackheads. If they're testing positive for drugs, he says, it's likely for pot.

Cleaning up the largest oil spill in the nation's history sort of seems more pressing than whether the people who get paid $10 an hour to rake toxic oil-sludge sand into piles, under Southern sun so grueling that shifts are 20 minutes on and 40 minutes off, have recently smoked weed. It also seems like a possible reason to not send in ICE agents to do a job that goes way beyond their normal (arguably more important) duties. As ICE spokesman Temple H. Black told Feet in 2 Worlds, "We don't normally go and check people's papers—we're mostly focused on transnational gangs, predators, drugs. This was a special circumstance because of the oil spill."

That sentence wins today's prize for Spokesperson Statement That's Supposed to Be More Comforting Than Alarming But Is Actually the Opposite. (First runner-up is Black's assertion that any undocumented workers "would have been detained on the spot and taken to Orleans Parish Prison"— whose conditions the Justice Department has called unconstitutional and which has a history of losing track of or not providing lawyers to thousands of indigent prisoners in its care.)

"It's like, 'round everybody up and leave the oil on the beach,'" Darlene Kattan, director of the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce of Louisiana, told the authors of the special report on the ICE raids. "In a catastrophic situation like this, I think we should be more well-reasoned."

(h/t @Janiebt)

Mac McClelland is Mother Jones' human rights reporter, writer of The Rights Stuff, and the author of For Us Surrender Is Out of the Question: A Story From Burma's Never-Ending War.

started an animal relocation and action group not focused on oil but more cove style relocation of dolphins, manatee, turtles and other wildlife before the oil hits them... please check it out.

http://www.facebook.com/suparni#!/group.php?gid=133784079971528&ref=mf

Good for you, Suparni.

I was just listening to an interview with some of the on-site rescuers in the Gulf, and they were sobbing. Not merely tearful, but sobbing. I've been contributing to wildlife rescue/rehabilitation organizations for most of my life, and I have never heard anything like the pain in those voices. Words fail in situations like this.

Its a catastrophe. But lets face facts if certain countries weren't so dependant on oil and people weren't so dependant on using cars to go for a f---ing picnic and buy foods in supermarkets imported from far-flung countries then maybe just maybe...

Everyone in the developed and developed world should bear some responsibilty for this environmental disaster not just BP

Good for you, Suparni.

I was just listening to an interview with some of the on-site rescuers in the Gulf, and they were sobbing. Not merely tearful, but sobbing. I've been contributing to wildlife rescue/rehabilitation organizations for most of my life, and I have never heard anything like the pain in those voices. Words fail in situations like this.

:tears:

Oil Leak Even Worse Than Initially Estimated

According to a new government assessment, twice as much oil gushed from the damaged BP oil well before the most recent containment effort than had been originally estimated. This new measurement, based on the leakage before BP cut the riser pipe of the leaking well on June 3, revealed that about 25,000 to 30,000 barrels of oil have been entering the Gulf each day (significantly greater than the 12,000 to 19,000 barrels previously announced). The revised calculation means that the amount of oil equivalent to that in the Exxon Valdez disaster may have been flowing into the Gulf of Mexico every 8 to 10 days.

Can the U.S. Punish BP’s Shareholders?

The United States Justice Department said on Wednesday that it was considering legal action to block British Petroleum from paying dividends to make sure the company covers all costs related to the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. Interior Secretary Ken Salazar has said BP would be asked to pay energy companies for losses if they had to lay off workers because of the moratorium on deepwater drilling.

BP, whose shares dropped 7 percent in London on Thursday, said it would decide next month whether keep a quarterly dividend of 14 cents a share for the second quarter, a payout of about $2.6 billion. Needless to say, investors in Britain were furious because BP dividends accounted for some 12 percent of all dividends handed out by British companies last year.

Read expert opinions at the link.

Everyone in the developed and developed world should bear some responsibilty for this environmental disaster not just BP

Yes, every single person in the developed/developing world is dependent on oil; we are all culpable on that level.

However, BP does bear responsibility for this disaster, and no one should let them off the hook. BP had 760 documented safety violations prior to the spill. To put that in perspective, Sunoco had 8 and Exxon had 1. BP's list of violations was greater than that of every other major oil company put together. Just think about that for a minute.

This spill is their fault, (although Halliburton may share some of the blame). PB lobbied to avoid having to install a remote blowout preventer that might have cost about $500,000 more per rig. BP officials admit that they did not believe that a catastrophe like this could happen, even though they were warned of just such an event. They had no back-up plans in place, and we are all paying the price for their criminal stupidity.

So, yes, we're all addicted to oil, but BP punched a hole in the Earth and let the poison out with a flagrant disregard for safety procedures; they are criminally negligent and liable for this disaster.

Good for you, Suparni.

Hey do you have any experience in turtle relocation, serving as crew or captain on a boat, dolphin wrangling, turtle relocation...? I am seeing the gulf stream seems to bipass bahamas and I have some friends working with dolphins in bahamas... If they can herd dolphins into a cove in taiji why cant we herd them out of the oil... i hear they are running from oil into panama beach... oil will close in on them. I want to move fast but its a big question how to get people with experience and resources together... boats should be pretty easy now that fishing areas are closed... any ideas?

Boy Suparni, I sure wish I knew how to help.

All I've ever dealt with is local wildlife - the critters that get into trouble on the highway or in your backyard. When it comes to marine life, I don't have a clue.

Everyone at every ocean conservancy and wildlife organization must be brain-storming as we speak. I know that people from the Sierra Club were on the ground in the Gulf, monitoring the dolphins. Hopefully there is some major inter-organizational networking going on. Hopefully conservationists and activists are moving faster than governments to try to save these animals.

Boy Suparni, I sure wish I knew how to help.

All I've ever dealt with is local wildlife - the critters that get into trouble on the highway or in your backyard. When it comes to marine life, I don't have a clue.

Everyone at every ocean conservancy and wildlife organization must be brain-storming as we speak. I know that people from the Sierra Club were on the ground in the Gulf, monitoring the dolphins. Hopefully there is some major inter-organizational networking going on. Hopefully conservationists and activists are moving faster than governments to try to save these animals.

Thanks buddy I am working on this right now. I have broken through by connecting with florida dolphin tour groups... in contact with them now - they are interested in herding the dolphins or creating live pens till we can herd them... please join our fb group. http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=133784079971528&ref=ts

"...I wondered out loud in the meeting, why, in the face of the gulf oil catastrophe - and many other major environmental problems in our country - our government had nothing better to do than work its way through tiny little towns like ours telling officials how they couldn't be creative in shaping their future.

Their perspective was not congruent with the scale of the problem.

I had not read Pitts before, so I looked into some of the other things he was writing for the Miami Herald relative to the Gulf oil spill. It was interesting. He said:

An oil rig operated by British Petroleum explodes in the Gulf of Mexico. Eleven people die. As much as 2.5 million gallons of BP oil gushes into the Gulf every day. Fragile eco-systems are wrecked, sea life is slimed, fishermen and boaters who make their living from the Gulf are facing ruin and BP, we discover, had no real plan for handling a catastrophe of this magnitude.

Every election cycle, the people and the politicians join in an act of willful self-deception, a ritualized charade in which everybody knows the truth, but nobody speaks it. Politicians flood the airwaves with commercials which show them walking and talking with the common folk who listen with rapt attention. The final shot frames the candidate with a flag in the background as he or she gazes soulfully into the middle distance and promises to work on our behalf, to always be on our side.

They pretend to mean it and we pretend to believe it.

There it was again. A basic mismatch between the stated function and the actual way the system works.

Now stay with me here. Although it may sound like it, this is not just ranting about the ineffectiveness of government and the need to get those bureaucrats off our backs and out of our lives.

I'm instead thinking here about the extraordinary things that appear to be coming our way in the months ahead and seriously wondering if there is any chance that the institutions that we have developed to deal with issues of this significance are even close to being capable to do so. Are they able to even begin to be effective in this unprecedented environment? Are the coming events going to highlight the fundamental mismatch between government's abilities and people's needs? Are we watching the beginning of the end of government as we know it?

Let's take the oil spill again and I'll try to build a picture for you of what seems to be happening.

Here is a blog entry by a medical doctor detailing the mental, emotional and spiritual effects of the Gulf disaster. Among other things it says: 'People are starting to grieve over what they see as the end of their lifestyle and work. Realities are setting in and there is a definite threat of people moving from sad to hopeless.' The mass public media though is not representing the reality of the mega-disaster; it is instead promoting government and corporate agendas." (There's that mismatch again between responsibility and action.)

Think about this. We're not talking about Haiti here. When was the last time you read anything about an important percentage of the U.S. population "grieving over the end of their lifestyle and work" because of a natural disaster? This is qualitatively different than any other non-human based disaster - even hurricane Katrina - where damage is done, but one can rebuild and continue. Here the impact is such that people are starting to lose hope.

Is that realistic?

Well, in the last two weeks my friend DK Matai started to shine a new light on the situation in a piece he wrote for Huffington Post that laid out a new scenario relative to the disaster. DK tries to get your attention right from the beginning:

As much as one million times the normal level of methane is showing up near the Gulf of Mexico oil gusher, enough potentially to create dead zones in the water. "These are higher levels than we have ever seen at any other location in the ocean itself," according to sources cited by Reuters. The "flow team" of the US Geological Survey estimates that 2,900 cubic feet of natural gas, which primarily contains methane, is being released into the Gulf waters with every barrel of oil. The constant flow of around 65,000 barrels of crude oil places the total daily amount of natural gas at over 188 million cubic feet. So far, over 13 billion cubic feet may have been released, making it one of the most vigorous methane eruptions in modern human history.uch as one million times the normal level of methane is showing up near the Gulf of Mexico oil gusher, enough potentially to create dead zones in the water. "These are higher levels than we have ever seen at any other location in the ocean itself," according to sources cited by Reuters. The "flow team" of the US Geological Survey estimates that 2,900 cubic feet of natural gas, which primarily contains methane, is being released into the Gulf waters with every barrel of oil. The constant flow of around 65,000 barrels of crude oil places the total daily amount of natural gas at over 188 million cubic feet. So far, over 13 billion cubic feet may have been released, making it one of the most vigorous methane eruptions in modern human history. (You can read more of DK and his team's insightful analysis at mi2g.net)

So now you've got the picture of humans having punctured the surface of an underwater methane bomb, the likes of which no one has ever seen before.

Let me see. Is that what the government is telling us? Is that the analysis that we're getting from all of these people that we pay to "protect" us?

About the time that DK's article was published CNN reported that our government essentially shut off freedom of the press as it is associated with the Gulf event. No reporter can now get closer than 20 meters from any activity or installation related to the oil spill. This, even though just a couple of weeks earlier the Coast Guard admiral in charge of the whole affair had reassured everyone that the press would have unfettered access to any location within the operation. And now, BP is apparently colluding with local law enforcement to intimidate journalists.

What happened? Why the change in attitude? Are they trying to cover something up? Have they learned something that they don't want us to know? In the face of large, rapid change, government's first (and often only) response is to control. As the level of disruptiveness and significance of an event increases, the trend in policy approaches is clear: provide fewer and fewer options. The no-fly list is a great example of this: constrain everyone. Never illuminate. Don't incentivize. No innovation. Just control the information and restrain the public. Can you visualize this approach being successful with any really huge disaster? Or a series of disasters? Did it work well with Katrina?..."

Scroll down a page or so for this, links and more - http://www.arlingtoninstitute.org/tai/fearchive-featured

Back
Top Bottom