good indie discos in New York City?

Math Tinder

like Sister Ray said
Hey all, so at the end of 2005, I moved from L.A. to New York City. Anyone have good recommendations for indie discos? I want a place with good tunes where, above all, kids DANCE... it seems much more common for people to dance in L.A. than in NYC for some reason. Something to do with the antiquated cabaret laws?

I'm looking for Morrissey and The Smiths of course, and similar music, like glam, punk, current+80s+90s britpop, current crop of indie rock. Far and away, I prefer clubs that play discrete songs, rather than endless dance beats with parts of riffs/etc mixed in.

I went to Tiswas last Saturday - that was pretty good. The main floor was awful, tons of repetitive remixed stuff, but downstairs, good songs, like Morrissey, The Stooges, Gorillaz, Primal Scream, The Jam, Sparks, Franz Ferdinand, etc.

I hear Misshapes, also on Saturdays, is pretty good? I'm not a huge fan of Don Hill's (the venue), but I might check it out tomorrow.

Tonight I'm going to go to Trash at Bar Rififi (sp?) on 11th St in the East Village. I'll be there wearing a pink scarf if you want to say hi. I'm small, have close-cropped hair, and wear eyeglasses. Apparently there's a 'do it like Morrissey' contest? But I don't know what that means.

Where else can I go in New York City to dance to Morrissey and other good music? I don't like Sway's Morrissey+Smiths night; the venue is a bar; it's not made for dancing at all. Oh, and 80s nights are fine, so long as it's good music from the 80s and people dance. Any suggestions?

xo, math+

ps- In my hometown of L.A., I recommend Bang on Saturday nights (Brit+indie) and Beat It on Sunday nights (80s), both at The Ruby, Hollywood Bl and Sycamore Ave. In San Francisco, Popscene on Thursdays is good (venue's on Rich St - called something like 350 Rich), and Friday nights at the Rickshaw Stop (near City Hall - don't remember the names of the nights), those are good too.

Wow, Trash rocked! No cover, great music, great crowd, great venue. I'll be back often, for sure. Any other recommendations will be gratefully received as well.

love, math+

At Sway they have a Smiths Morrissey night on Sunday. Plus some of the guys that DJ are big moz fans. Just a thought...

and then I read the rest of your post and see that Sway is not to your liking...err. I was just so damn eager to answer.

zom

Ha, thanks for the thought, zom. :) The music at Sway is great, obviously - it's just so crowded, and more oriented towards drinking and talking than dancing - narrow space, low tables, etc. Trying to find some more places to move my feet! I highly recommend Trash at Bar Rififi, grrrrreat night... I'll keep the board posted on any good places I find! :D

xo, math+

Back
Top Bottom