FAO 1994 US MOZ FANS

P

Punchdrunk1975

How do you shift music tastes between Elton John,George Micheal,Queen etc etc or do you just have a blind devotion to gay,bi,camp singers ????yOU LIVE IN A DIFFERENT WORLD to the more cultered UK Smiths-Morrissey fans who actually understand and know where he is coming from.

Do any of you understand what Morrisseys singing about in his former band The Smiths and his early work pre 1994????????????????

Why do most of you have little or no interest in The Smiths is it because he only like Morrissey because he lives in the states and is NEW to you???????if he moved back to the UK most of you freacks who hang round his house would smash his windows and scream blue murder.

Now that's it, you've gone too far - LAY THE f*** OFF QUEEN!!!!!! They were SO not in the same league as the others, you're beginning to smack of homophobia here mate, beware.

GD

> How do you shift music tastes between Elton John,George Micheal,Queen etc
> etc or do you just have a blind devotion to gay,bi,camp singers ????yOU
> LIVE IN A DIFFERENT WORLD to the more cultered UK Smiths-Morrissey fans
> who actually understand and know where he is coming from.

> Do any of you understand what Morrisseys singing about in his former band
> The Smiths and his early work pre 1994????????????????

> Why do most of you have little or no interest in The Smiths is it because
> he only like Morrissey because he lives in the states and is NEW to
> you???????if he moved back to the UK most of you freacks who hang round
> his house would smash his windows and scream blue murder.

Small point...

Most of the people making the connection between George Michael and Morrissey have been English or European, have they not?

Re: Small point...

As an American, I have no way of connecting to the music of the Smiths. You see here in the States, we do not have things like alienation, loneliness, humor, and emotion. Also we are not attracted to things like the sound of guitars and great melodies.

In fact, how could Morrissey ever be a New York dolls fan. He never lived in New York, he most likely has never used heroin.

So if you have any Sonic Youth, Husker Du, Dinosaur Jr, Nirvana, or REM in you record collection, the time to throw it out is now. What do you know about mid-80's/early 90's America?

Re: Small point...

well, you knw what you can never be sure if he was really a fan of new york doll or not. take billy idol for instance he was seen in sex pistols gigs, but did he became like the sex pistols? he became a rock star!

yes i do have sonic youth in my collection and im not throwing it away. if you trace the roots of sonic youth youll start w/ the velvet underground w/c would link to the jesus and mary chain then the cure and will end up to the smiths.

but hey, thats how i veiw music.

How I View It

> yes i do have sonic youth in my collection and im not throwing it away. if
> you trace the roots of sonic youth youll start w/ the velvet underground
> w/c would link to the jesus and mary chain then the cure and will end up
> to the smiths.

The Velvet Underground is the common root for almost all of the bands that flourished in the 1980s, so starting there is almost meaningless.

However.

The more direct connection is the Velvet Underground to Lou Reed solo to Patti Smith/Marc Bolan/David Bowie to Morrissey. And of course there's Morrissey's quiet fascination with Nico. I don't think Marr was terribly interested in the Velvets. With him you'd start with Roger McGuinn and Motown, I think. He has gone on record as saying that punk meant very little to him.

The daisychain of influence leading to The Smiths is wrong as you have it. Jumping from The Cure to The Smiths is a gross error. However it may sound to casual fans of both bands, The Smiths were in fact a hundred million miles away from The Cure, and certainly were never influenced by them (unless you mean in a negative way).

I wouldn't know how to describe the sources of The Cure, except to say that had Bernard Sumner, Ian Curtis, Peter Hook and Stephen Morris (and later Gillian Gilbert) not started a band, "Fat Bob" would have spent his life toiling in a wig factory mumbling Baudelaire to arthritic octagenarians.

Also, while the Jesus and Mary Chain owe a lot to the Velvets, they are equally indebted to Echo And The Bunnymen, who themselves may be linked to VU, Television, Bowie and The Doors.

Any similarities or parallels between The Smiths and Sonic Youth would be strenuously denied by both parties, but I suppose it's fun for fans to speculate.

Indeed, part of the fun of enjoying both the U.S. and U.K. music scenes between, say, 1966 and 1990, is that the music was unique and not always related to its ostensible counterpart across the Atlantic. For instance, a lot of American punk fans loathe British punk rock, and no doubt their hatred is reciprocated. Years later, grunge came along in the States but didn't have as big an impact in England: Madchester was heating up. So liking bands like Sonic Youth *and* The Smiths was a treat because you weren't just getting more of the same. Instead you had two different strands of indie music that were totally different though somewhat similar in spirit. That's really the true link-- independence from corporations.

Or alleged independence, if you like.

Re: How I View It

OK, I might have been a bit harsh on punchdrunk, he seems to have pretty good taste, and is fairly sensible about stuff (usually). I used to get upset when people listened to the Smiths, and say Bon Jovi. people like music for all reasons.

I just get tired of the US/UK debate. Who cares? Sure, I'd get more out of it if I knew where Whalley Range was, maybe, but I have my own reasons for liking it.
In any case, PD75 implied that as an American that I was a George Micheal fan, and that my friend is fighting words:)

As far as the Velvets, hard to dispute them as the Godfathers of cool.Look at the variety of groups they inspired: The Goths (the Divs) The Fuzz/Feedback type bands (like the Pixies and J&M Chain)- the 2 obvious groups. But basically any band that would fit the title 'alternative'- songs like 'Pale Blue Eyes' for the alt-country and REM set to plain ol' rock nroll (U2, Smiths, etc) and any band that wants to do something a bit different (new wave like Pere Ubu, Talking Heads) and not worry about being played on the radio (the punk scene)

Another VU

Ah, I understand. Being called a George Michael fan would be enough to drive any sensible person over the edge. Imagine if you'd been stuck in auto gridlock on a 100 degree afternoon with no a/c and someone had said that.

I agree about the U.K./U.S. debate. It's silly, and like I said, there's a lot to be said for music from both countries. Although my record collection is heavily slanted toward British bands, there's no question that the U.S. has produced some great artists.

The Velvet Underground are in a class by themselves. Many of their songs are genius, while others are irredeemable rubbish. But they were unlike any other band while they lived and they spawned innumerable bands after their passing. The sheer variety of artists that drew inspiration from them, which you pointed out, testifies to their enduring greatness.

I was always curious as to why Morrissey was never an outspoken Lou Reed fan. In fact, aside from his tempered affection for Nico and the Warhol/Factory crowd, there's almost no mention of VU/Reed in his interviews, or any echoes in the music. Maybe Reed just didn't catch his fancy. I can see Morrissey being turned off by Reed's confessional, quasi-beat poetry and overt taste for (deleted so as not to start another 'Moz is racist!' outcry - Ed.).

I don't know. But as an anguished teenager in the throes of his blooming sexual ambiguity, I think young Steven would have taken a walk on the wild side if Lou had asked him, asked him, asked him.

Re: Another VU

i totally agree...

having different strands of the indie culture is what im really into.

i could be listening to the breeders at work and mellow down w/ charlatans uk at home...

The Smiths are old news!

> How do you shift music tastes between Elton John,George Micheal,Queen etc
> etc or do you just have a blind devotion to gay,bi,camp singers ????yOU
> LIVE IN A DIFFERENT WORLD to the more cultered UK Smiths-Morrissey fans
> who actually understand and know where he is coming from.

> Do any of you understand what Morrisseys singing about in his former band
> The Smiths and his early work pre 1994????????????????

> Why do most of you have little or no interest in The Smiths is it because
> he only like Morrissey because he lives in the states and is NEW to
> you???????if he moved back to the UK most of you freacks who hang round
> his house would smash his windows and scream blue murder.

Go and eat your moms HRT you prick!!

> The Smiths are old news!

Back
Top Bottom