Does Morrissey drink alcohol?

Some people have a drink/drug and say that was great.
Some have a drink/drug and say give me more, and more. Depends on the personality and life situation of the individual.

It's for each person to decide for themselves what they want.
And when to stop.
Yet I've seen enough damage done to know that it's hard to watch someone throw away all the good things in life to satisfy their addiction.

I used to drink, I don’t now. Not because I think it’s evil but because it makes me ill. I’d love to have the occasional drink, but the game aint worth the candle, for me. I miss it.

Someone put the question to forum some time ago “does Morrissey drink too much?” I have no idea. It’s not my business. I hope not.

I get fed up when I’m told I should have a drink to be happy, or it’s assumed I’m a misery for not joining in, or that I’m trying to be superior. There is too much judgement and not enough compassion on both sides of the question, in my experience.

He likes pubs, so yes. I remember an interview with him from GQ back in 2004, where he said that alcohol was a comfort for him (those words) as, apparently, he hummed along to a Quarry era-'In The Future...'

I remember reading once (think it was in Select) that he was drinking a Fosters beer...which depressed me. He should try a Coopers instead. Also recall mentions of red wine.

hehe, I know. Fosters!? It's so crap Australians don't even drink it. I'm sure he'd prefer a Coopers Pale Ale.

Some people have a drink/drug and say that was great.
Some have a drink/drug and say give me more, and more. Depends on the personality and life situation of the individual.

It's for each person to decide for themselves what they want.
And when to stop.
Yet I've seen enough damage done to know that it's hard to watch someone throw away all the good things in life to satisfy their addiction.

I used to drink, I don’t now. Not because I think it’s evil but because it makes me ill. I’d love to have the occasional drink, but the game aint worth the candle, for me. I miss it.

Someone put the question to forum some time ago “does Morrissey drink too much?” I have no idea. It’s not my business. I hope not.

I get fed up when I’m told I should have a drink to be happy, or it’s assumed I’m a misery for not joining in, or that I’m trying to be superior. There is too much judgement and not enough compassion on both sides of the question, in my experience.

absolutely right. it´s very hard to quit a drug that is such a big part of social life and culture. i also want to quit because it makes me ill, and i can when i get really sick of it - but sooner social situations will always get me back to where i was: the point where it makes me feel ill and where i have a slight hangover every day and am unhappy because of the headache which can only be cured with another winebottle....

What kind of self-comforting bit of inane logic is that? On what would you base such a premise? Should we suppose abstinence is a sign of intellect? Does avoiding life's pleasures because they may be hazardous if over-indulged in make one strong-minded? Does the fear of relinquishing some of our inhibitions make us fools or is being overly inhibited the sign of a weak mind?

Yes to all of the above.....

There is a strength of mind over body to not indulging in things that have the power to overcome you. We see examples everyday, drunk driving, abuse situations, overdoses. Not to mention the people who have to live with these drunkards.
A true social drinker is not who Im talking about, its the others.

Yes he drinks alcohol and he should drink less, cause I want him to have a more beautiful belly.:rolleyes:

Yes he drinks alcohol and he should drink less, cause I want him to have a more beautiful belly.:rolleyes:

I don't think alcohol makes his belly larger.
Some vegetarians tend to eat carbohydrates too much.
Morrissey should eat less pasta and bread.:rolleyes:

He likes cakes. That's his downfall.

But I admire him for not being obsessive about his weight.

Would we really want him to be primped up like George Michael who looks much worse even with all the make-up he cakes on before stepping on stage.

Would we really want him to be primped up like George Michael who looks much worse even with all the make-up he cakes on before stepping on stage.
Yeah, that'd be great. He's not really that far off it, to be honest.

And what's with the Michael bashing? Still bearing Morrissey's grudge from the 80s, Brother Danny? He's better than most people give him credit for.

George Michael has always tried too hard to please everyone. He has a nice voice and over the years I've seen a few indications there's something going on between his ears. The guy seems to be 100% showbiz, though, which puts me off. Even his "revolt" against the industry was so glamorous. He strikes me as a genuine talent who has no idea how to be genuine.

George Michael has always tried too hard to please everyone. He has a nice voice and over the years I've seen a few indications there's something going on between his ears. The guy seems to be 100% showbiz, though, which puts me off. Even his "revolt" against the industry was so glamorous. He strikes me as a genuine talent who has no idea how to be genuine.
Oh, I try to completely avoid anything he says or does. The guy's no genius (that horrible attempt at political satire being the worst offence), but his voice is amazing and he has had some truly wonderful pop songs.

he has had some truly wonderful pop songs.

Over the years I've dropped a lot of my antipathy to pure pop records (i.e. not pop records as Morrissey would label them but disposable, sugared-up contemporary synthpop). The producers who put them together are often talented, and if you *cough* listen without prejudice some of it's pretty good.

For instance, after reading Simon Reynolds' superb book "Rip It Up And Start Again" I downloaded Donna Summer's "I Feel Love". Summer's druggy vocals are stretched out over an electronic tune made by the Italian producer Giorgio Moroder, a shimmery synth track that sounds way ahead of its time. Within 30 seconds I realized I was listening to the blueprint for several early New Order tracks including the immortal "Temptation".

When you try and listen for similar "hidden" influences on current recent tracks (Summer recorded in the Seventies), you can pick out the talents of these kinds of producers, even when the pretty boys singing the tune are forgettable. I'm told the new Justin Timberlake album is amazing, but I'd have to be drunk on three bottles of cheap rotgut wine to buy that one.

Last edited:
He strikes me as a genuine talent who has no idea how to be genuine.

That's probably the most fitting description of George Michael I've ever heard.

He really IS a great songwriter and musician, the only question is: Why can't he deliver his talent?

A lot of my friends like George Michael, but he doesn't appeal to me.
I just avoid talking about him, otherwise I'd offend my friends.:p

He really IS a great songwriter and musician, the only question is: Why can't he deliver his talent?

Fame, fame, fatal fame. See Wham! The guy was a victim from the word go-go. I generally try and avoid the triteness of using one Morrissey lyric in my posts, let alone two, but, y'know...alma matters: I think bands and artists who struggle to be heard usually last longer and have more to say than people who have the world on a plate by the age of 21 or whatever. Once Michael had fame in his veins (among other substances, I'm guessing) it was all over.

Still, as dazzak said, he's got a great voice. Smooth and soulful. I see him as a victim of his own early success more than anything else. I've always speculated he really likes Morrissey, probably thinks of him as a kindred spirit. And I think he'd trade his career for Morrissey's even if Morrissey would die before trading his for Michael's. I can't back that up with a solitary shred of evidence, it's just a feeling I have.

Last edited:
Oh, I try to completely avoid anything he says or does. The guy\'s no genius (that horrible attempt at political satire being the worst offence), but his voice is amazing and he has had some truly wonderful pop songs.

Do you fancy him per chance? ;)

Back
Top Bottom