Does knowing the set list spoil or enhance the gig?

snapyou

Humdee,dumdee,homocide
Just wondered what people think about knowing what the set list is going to be in advance?

Does it add or detract from your enjoyment of the gig?

I think you get more out if it ,if you don't know.

I used to read reviews/synopsis of films before going to see them then I decided "no more" I'll go and see a film without knowing too much about it.

SO much better!

Oh,and why why why do people increasingly insist on taking their silly mobile phones to gigs?

They spend the gig taking pics,recording songs(badly),messaging their friends,"you'll never guess what he's playing now...oh,hold on,here it is..can you hear it?" etc etc...

It seems that some people can't just live in the moment

I think it can add to the excitment, I do kind of agree with the mobile phone thing, having been at gigs with people leaning over and flapping their phones about annoyingly.
However, I am also pleased to have had some of the wee clips and stuff that people have kindly shared after a gig, yes sometimes the quality is crappy, but it is going to be ages for the album to come out, or for many UK fans we are not sure when he will be gigging here again, and we have heard All you need is me and Paris I am happy with that.

I think its better not knowing what the set list is, when i went to the 22nd December gig just before christmas at the gmex last year i refused to look at any of the setlists for the previous gigs, it was much more exciting not knowing what moz would sing. I couldnt beleive it when he did Please Please Let Me Get What I Want and William It Was Really Nothing as they are 2 of my very favourite Smiths tracks. It was just more fun not knowing!

i remember not knowing the setlist and being surprised was the greatest feeling when that song from the past made the setlist...for example 97 and hearing Paint a Vulgar Picture and Shoplifters encore. it would have been ruined if i knew the setlists at the gigs before. maybe i should i stop looking now... but it's hard to resist.

The last time i went to see Morrissey i knew the setlist and it ruined the concert a but. The best song of the night (in my opinion) was the one song i forgot that was on the setlist. So next time (please let that be soon) i'm not going to look.

personally, i'm a very nosy, curious, and "have-to-know-it-all" kind of person :o so it's very hard for me to resist looking at all the reviews and the setlist, i guess i kind of like knowing what I can expect. however, i think i want to change this habit and try not to look at what the setlist was every night because usually when i get to the show and He comes out, i forget EVERYTHING and i really do love it when he plays a song and im like "OOOH i TOTALLY forgot about this one!!" and its a lot more enjoyable. I kind of appreciate it more.

ok so i now i take an oath not to look at setlist from the main board until the hollywood dates come along (but i guess i have already kind of spoiled it...it probably wont change much).....

If you are talking about Morrissey's setlist then yes it does spoil it because (as I have stated before) the problem with Morrissey live shows are the virtual identical nature of the setlist night after night. I believe that is why some people complain that towards the end of the tour he is simply going through the motions. I honestly believe this as this was a reason to go to the 1st show in NYC and no others or the last.

If you are talking about in general I would say no. What makes Dave Matthews a great live act is that the setlist changes with each night of a city engagement. If Dave was playing 5 nights in NYC the song cataloge would be stretched out over the 5 nights to keep each live even special.

I'm probably not gonna see him in this leg of the tour, so checking is fine by me.

I'm the kind of person who peeks at their Christmas presents every year, so I couldn't not look at Morrissey setlists. I'm usually just curious and it doesn't affect my overall enjoyment of the concert. Although, if he scraps "Stretch Out and Wait" by the Waukegan date, I will get jealous knowing that he's played it on this tour!

I have to know the setlists, have always looked at them for every band I see. I may say I don't want to know but yeah I do.

I like to know the setlist so I can make sure in advance I know the words of the songs to sing along.

Also the mobile phone and camera thing, It can be annoying but its also great to take pics so you have a reminder of how great a night it was and how gorgeous he looked etc

It's definitely way more fun to not know what the set list is because like everyone's already said here you get really surprised and excited, etc. However, curiosity always gets the better of me and a part of me wants to know what I'm in for and with the fan sites like this, etc. it's pretty hard to NOT have an idea of what's going to be performed before ya get there...

I agree, it's better not to know. But I wouldn't say it "ruins" the concert for me, much worse is (1) a very tall and/or wide person standing in front of me, totally blocking my view; (2) moshers and other aggressive f*#ckers who push people around.

I agree, it's better not to know. But I wouldn't say it "ruins" the concert for me, much worse is (1) a very tall and/or wide person standing in front of me, totally blocking my view; (2) moshers and other aggressive f*#ckers who push people around.

I just can't stand the people who have to constantly get up and go to the bathroom because they were either drinking too much before or during the concert. And not just at Moz, but just about every concert I've ever been to my life! Put the beer down and take a piss before getting to your seat!

I'll tell you what knowing the last two setlists does for me, it pisses me off!!!

He is friggin playing 'Tomorrow', only the greatest song ever written, EVER, and I'm unable financially to see it yet he could have played it and made my life in Austin earlier this year.

Eh, I should know my luck too well by now....but it is still pretty sucky for me.

I'll tell you what knowing the last two setlists does for me, it pisses me off!!!

He is friggin playing 'Tomorrow', only the greatest song ever written, EVER, and I'm unable financially to see it yet he could have played it and made my life in Austin earlier this year.

Eh, I should know my luck too well by now....but it is still pretty sucky for me.

At least he didn't cancel the concert you had tickets for....

At least he didn't cancel the concert you had tickets for....

I agree, which is why I'm very hesitant to buy any for this leg, he's bound to blow his voice out again from the California weather...

I figure if I can't see him play 'Tomorrow', neither should my best pal who is planning a NYC trip, heh ;)

I agree, which is why I'm very hesitant to buy any for this leg, he's bound to blow his voice out again from the California weather...

I figure if I can't see him play 'Tomorrow', neither should my best pal who is planning a NYC trip, heh ;)

Exactly. I'm sorry and I know people here are tired of hearing me bitch about this and if that's the case, stop reading now, but I'm sorry. I'm through with seeing Mr. Moz in concert as much as I enjoy him. He has a sketchy history of canceling shows in the past, or walking out in the middle of them. I was supposed to see him at MSG in June and got screwed and I knew someone who had tix to see him there, at PNC in NJ and in FL and all 3 got canceled. I can't keep shelling money out for a concert he may or may not do. I just don't have that kind of dough to throw around...

Exactly. I'm sorry and I know people here are tired of hearing me bitch about this and if that's the case, stop reading now, but I'm sorry. I'm through with seeing Mr. Moz in concert as much as I enjoy him. He has a sketchy history of canceling shows in the past, or walking out in the middle of them. I was supposed to see him at MSG in June and got screwed and I knew someone who had tix to see him there, at PNC in NJ and in FL and all 3 got canceled. I can't keep shelling money out for a concert he may or may not do. I just don't have that kind of dough to throw around...

thank goodness there is something called a refund policy

:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom