Do you think Morrissey has good taste in music?

He has no taste in music. Bowie, Reed, Iggy, Patti, and Roxy Music are one thing...but the rest blow.

I remember you being very sweet on KY back in the day...no?

And by the way, yeah...Reed, The Velvets, I forgot that one, good point.

I think you have me confused with another guy named Viva Hate...

Even at this late hour I still can't make up my mind about Bowie.

Some of his albums and singles, I put them on and I am put in a totally other world.

Other stuff Bowie's done, I can't press "Stop" quickly enough.

AbsoLOUtley no complaints about Reed though...

Bowie is hit and miss...mostly miss...but when he hits, he HITS.

Ummm, no...I don't, dear. But I'm not gonna get into it with you. :p

Good...because I was totally going to do this to you.
1530418karatewtf2.gif

When I was riding my bike home from work I was thinking about Martin Mull's character in Mr. Mom.

Did you think of him trying to make sweet love to you because you secured the Schooner's Tuna account?

How do you judge another person's taste in pop music? It's a personal thing. If someone hates a song or band I love, whatever, they don't know the reasons I connect to this or that artist or this or that song.

Morrissey's problem is not related to whether you agree with what pop songs he likes or doesn't like. The songs and pop artists that grab him and touch him are his own business. That he advertises them to the world is understandable, because when you love an artist you want others to see what you love in that artist too.

His problem is that, by most accounts, he's a ridiculous snob towards others about such things. Even at his age! I could understand it from a teenager....

Last edited:

Mick Ronson era Bowie is up there with any pop music ever made. There are a few absolute classic albums not just a few hit singles.

As for Morrissey's taste in music, it isn't my bag for sure. I'd go as far to say that most things he likes are complete and utter rubbish but music is all personal isn't it?

Agree that when Bowie hits he hits BUT I wouldn't say he was hit and miss- not from '72 to '80 anyway.

I would also say, the thing that Morrissey has is a varied taste in music NOT bad taste. He likes all sorts of things and god bless him for that, he could easily pick the usual suspects that appear in the top 20 lists in Q,Mojo and Spin BUT what would be the point? His main loves in fact ARE the usual suspects but people don't notice- Elvis,New York Dolls, Kinks,Bowie,TRex,Billy Fury, The jam,Roxy to name but some. He just choses to show the fans something they may not have seem..among other reasons.

There are some aspects of Morrissey's music I don't rate incredibly highly, but on balance, and compared to my perception of a "good taste in music" (which I'm very aware is likely to be quite different from most people's!), I would say absolutely yes!

It actually was repeatedly hearing Morrissey referenced in association with acts which I loved long before becoming a fan of his, such as New York Doll's, Patti Smith etc which made me look him up properly in the first place.
I am a Bowie fan... he's had definite musical lows, don't get me wrong, but on the whole I admire his music. Although, I'm not as much as a fan of the newer material, but I've nothing *too* major against it.
Lou Reed, Velvets, Nico etc I adore: really got into over the past three/four years, and am glad to see them acknowledged fairly constantly by Morrissey.
And more recently, Young the Giant, I know many people have come forward and said they don't quite get him on this one, but I was a pre-existing fan, already had the album pre-ordered, and personally think they're fantastic!
There's many many acts he's paid positive reference too that I've been a relatively big fan of at some stage: T-Rex/Bolan, Sandie Shaw, Killers, Billy Fury etc.
Of what's he's reccomended and 'promoted' to us in the past, some I really have enjoyed and have/will pay good money to see (Damien Dempsey, Mary Coughlan, etc.), but in contrast, some, like Doll and the Kicks, haven't grabbed me quite as much. I imagine seeing such acts live would be the turning experience though, which I haven't.

To be honest, the only things I sometimes outrightly disagree with him on are his musical dislikes. Just things like I believe there's slightly more good acts out there in the industry than he sometimes implies or gives credit to - the variety and calibre is nothing like it was for me, but in my opinion we're not in quite as dire a situation as he's occasionally implied! And a few predominantly negative comments about bands and artists I personally like, like the Manic's etc, but aside from that I atleast vaugely like the majority of his music reccommendations! :D

And my god, I'm sorry I didn't realise I'd rambled so much on that! :eek:

I think it's irrelevant, but then my taste in forums is particularly poor.

How do you judge another person's taste in pop music? It's a personal thing. If someone hates a song or band I love, whatever, they don't know the reasons I connect to this or that artist or this or that song.

Morrissey's problem is not related to whether you agree with what pop songs he likes or doesn't like. The songs and pop artists that grab him and touch him are his own business. That he advertises them to the world is understandable, because when you love an artist you want others to see what you love in that artist too.

His problem is that, by most accounts, he's a ridiculous snob towards others about such things. Even at his age! I could understand it from a teenager....
I agree with Theo. I tend like most of the bands that Morrissey likes. Morrissey is sneaky (in other words private) at times, and he doesn't display all of his musical tastes freely as most would think. It wasn't until recently that I learned Morrissey liked Jeff Buckley or the Smoking Popes. If you take him at face value he can seem very narrow-minded when it comes to music, but Morrissey also has a few tricks up his sleeve.

Back
Top Bottom