Disasterpieces

• Thread starter Deleted member 29227
  • Start date
In the biggest poll ever of all 250 (or so) Smiths and post-Smiths songs, 'Kid's a Looker' and 'People are the Same' came out as the worst and second worst songs he's ever sung. Morrissey is not a musician (his words). He sometimes just doesn't realise how awful his songs are. In 97 and 99 he played Roy Keen at almost every show. A few years later he realised how dismal the song really was and took it off the album completely. The tragedy of his solo years is that he makes all the musical decisions - at least in the Smiths it was a joint choice, and the other person was actually a musician.

And the funniest thing was that the three tracks he played in the radio in 2011 were chosen to entice the record companies. He didn't have a deal then and thought he would actually get one on the basis of these three songs. Later that summer he played Scandinavia and Art-Hounds live, both are much better, especially Art-Hounds. Action is okay, but the other two are indeed dreadful -- and they all three have the pub rock sound that would soon be discarded when Joe Chiccarelli came into the picture.

Exactly - both 'Noise' and 'I'm Just Playing Easy to Get' felt like pleasant extra little B-sides during what was an incredibly fruitful period - nothing more, nothing less. As a touted career comeback offering during a new record contract-less wilderness years, the 2011 session was a disaster. Added to the knowledge that Alain had now completely been ousted as a songwriter, and the future suddenly looked very bleak. For me, this period really was the pits.

Similar thing happened in 2004 with "I'm Playing Easy to Get" and "Noise is the Best Revenge" which were both pretty lousy, but better than the aforementioned trio.
I thought these 2 tracks (janice long sessions I think) were actually ok.

What's really odd to me personally is that Action Is My Middle Name is actually one of my favourite Morrissey songs.
How did he record that at the same time as People Are The Same Everywhere and the subpar The Kid's A Looker?
I too like AIMMN, but it sorta loses momentum & runs out of steam after 2:20...ladadadada, etc. …it's almost as if it was never truly finished & he couldn't be bothered going back to it, which is a pity.

I too like AIMMN, but it sorta loses momentum & runs out of steam after 2:20...ladadadada, etc. …it's almost as if it was never truly finished & he couldn't be bothered going back to it, which is a pity.
I don't even know why I like it so much. It's mostly the vocal melody, I think. I like the "ladadada" part.??‍♀️
Gorgeous live song, too.
I guess I just have a soft spot for it for some reason.

I don't even know why I like it so much. It's mostly the vocal melody, I think. I like the "ladadada" part.??‍♀️
Gorgeous live song, too.
I guess I just have a soft spot for it for some reason.
The 'action, action' bit kinda reminds me of 'exit, exit' in Jacky's Only Happy.

The 'action, action' bit kinda reminds me of 'exit, exit' in Jacky's Only Happy.
I didn't notice the "action, action", but what you said is interesting anyway. Got me watching him perform both songs. I wonder if Jackie's a stripper.

I'm Playing Easy To Get is great! Will always be special to me.

I'm Playing Easy To Get is great! Will always be special to me.
Absolutely a great track and I was listening to it last night and still bamboozled that it was never released as say a b-side instead of all the take or leave live covers that have been b-sides in recent times. Action Is My Middle Name did get released as a b-side (to Last Of The Famous re-release) albeit the Radio session version but Blue Dreamers Eyes and By The Time I Get To Wherever I'm Going again would have been decent Moz originals better placed as b-sides than sneaking online as 'lost session tracks'.

I didn't notice the "action, action", but what you said is interesting anyway. Got me watching him perform both songs. I wonder if Jackie's a stripper.
He only did the "action, action" bit when singing the song live. It can be heard on 25 Live, for example.

By the way, when I said that Action Is My Middle Name is one of my favourites, I was referring to the Studio In Session version, which is far superior to the Maida Vale one in my opinion.

What freaks me out is when he says "You are my possession.". ?
So you're okay with the "Biting my initials into your neck" part?
The lyrics are fantastic.

Oh! I'd thought it was "Writing my initials into your neck", which still sounds pretty f***in aggressive ?
Nah, I'm sure he sings "biting".
I guess that's the Morrissey way of branding his... "possessions"?

On a very weird and tangentially related note, this line always reminds me of that story in Autobiography about Chrissie Hynde biting that little terrier in the neck.

Nah, I'm sure he sings "biting".
I guess that's the Morrissey way of branding his... "possessions"?

On a very weird and tangentially related note, this line always reminds me of that story in Autobiography about Chrissie Hynde biting that little terrier in the neck.
Yes I remember that, where the dog is paralyzed in ecstasy. In a pub.

Yes I remember that, where the dog is paralyzed in ecstasy. In a pub.
"Ecstasy" ?

"The dog’s owner and the dying bar staff watch stricken with horror."

Back
Top Bottom