Curious as to who the other person in this photo is?

Spooked

IMG_4527.jpeg

Original mag from '92.

s-l1600.jpg

As per above, but image:

pic194012.jpg

So yes, Tempo.
Other person = "Olaf Marx".
Hiding on the site all the while.
FWD.

The 1993 article translates the beginning as:

"Olaf Marx, editor at TEMPO since 1988, died on February 4th at the age of 35. He is conducting his interview with his idol: the English pop singer Morrissey."

Confirmation of said person existing at Tempo:

Screenshot_20240121-032712~2.png

And a tiny snippet of an image from an/the article?

Screenshot_20240121-033105~2.png

Roughly "hate or die".
Regards,
FWD.

Wow, how tragic to hear he passed so young. I wonder what happened to him? Moz seems so comfortable with him in that shot, I'd have never guessed it was someone he didn't know well

Wow, how tragic to hear he passed so young. I wonder what happened to him? Moz seems so comfortable with him in that shot, I'd have never guessed it was someone he didn't know well
There is a Wikipedia page for him but it only says that he died in 1993 in Hamburg and doesn't give a cause of death. Interestingly, the Swiss writer Christian Kracht dedicated his novel 1979 to him. The novel is about a German man and his ex-boyfriend who travel to Iran at the time of the Islamic Revolution. The book's original cover was designed by Peter Saville of Factory Records.

"Olaf Marx, editor at TEMPO since 1988, died on February 4th at the age of 35. He is conducting his interview with his idol: the English pop singer Morrissey."

View attachment 100789

View attachment 100791

Roughly "hate or die".
Regards,
FWD.
This looks the best guess.

He seemed to be a quite often quoted "Pop journalist" if you search for him and he seemed to very influentual in the 80ies music journalism scene. I found a snippet that said
he considered Morrissey "as one of the most important poets of the 20th century". It also says "Marx, beautiful, gay, sharp-tongued, was a working-class child..." then comes the paywall ^^
But he obviously was a household name in the music journalism scene at the time and a Morrissey fan (next to the photo above it says: "Morrissey and Marx: Brothers in spirit")

The photo of the article above also says that he couldn't finish his article about Morrissey's interview and that it was also the last one he ever did.

He seemed to be a quite often quoted "Pop journalist" if you search for him and he seemed to very influentual in the 80ies music journalism scene. I found a snippet that said
he considered Morrissey "as one of the most important poets of the 20th century". It also says "Marx, beautiful, gay, sharp-tongued, was a working-class child..." then comes the paywall ^^
But he obviously was a household name in the music journalism scene at the time and a Morrissey fan (next to the photo above it says: "Morrissey and Marx: Brothers in spirit")

The photo of the article above also says that he couldn't finish his article about Morrissey's interview and that it was also the last one he ever did.
An article (similar?) with pay wall removed.
If it's different - let me know the link.
Regards,
FWD.

View attachment 100789

View attachment 100791

Roughly "hate or die".
Regards,
FWD.

Kudos on the customary fine detective work.

I'm confused as to how anyone thought this was Alain. The writer's quiff is junior-partner-grade at best.

The same thing that 'happened' to way too many talented young men at the time, presumably...

That feels like a pen name TBH.

I feel like David's guess is the best. This is Sascha today and I feel like give it 30 years and this definitely could be him.

A pen name? :lbf:
Olaf Dante Marx was a trailblazer in German music journalism.

Yes. His full name was Olaf Dante Marx and his critical essays and articles about Pop culture and it's late and modificated development in Germany are outstanding. It is from a long forgotten time when music journalists had a high reputation.

Yes. His full name was Olaf Dante Marx and his critical essays and articles about Pop culture and it's late and modificated development in Germany are outstanding.

It is from a long forgotten time when music journalists had a high reputation.

Agree. And I wonder why they had a high reputation at one time.

Because it used to be an art to harmonize socio-political developments with pop culture trends. You also had to be able to write and formulate well, and it often involved theories that were widely spun. It was always intellectual, whereas pop was supposed to be pop(ular) and perhaps simple. The picture with Morrissey is fascinating. How he also wants to perform with a quiff and adopts an introverted, shifted posture like his idol. Yes, he somewhat resembles the young Alain Whyte in facial profile. I understand the comment. Tempo was an extraordinary magazine. I bought it myself in the late 80s.

Back
Top Bottom