Morrissey Central "BONFIRE OF TEENAGERS, RIP" (February 13, 2023) - Morrissey vs Capitol Records

20C9B95B-45BE-4406-B21F-065BD6184F78.jpeg

Capitol Records (Los Angeles) proudly promotes Sam Smith’s ‘satanism’; yet they consider the honest truth of Morrissey’s factual ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ to be their biggest threat and they will not release it despite their contractual obligation and promise to do so.

Media coverage:

Last edited by a moderator:
Capital's behaviour is puzzling as they knew what they were buying into (the subject matter, the crap proposed sleeve, the low sales of previous album etc) and as far as I can tell nothing's changed since, has it?
Exactly. Why did they buy it in the first place?

Why did they buy it in the first place?
Probably because they thought they were getting an album featuring Miley Cyrus, with all the attendant publicity, radio play and sales that entails. Now they find they can't legally issue it with her on it, why bother? Write it off as a tax loss.

You know, there’s still a strange thing called "passion". Some people are moved by passion, not just commercial interest or calculation.
Morrissey must be willing to share this passion with those who desire it. Morrissey seems to want to but doesn't know how to do it.
There are thousands of passionate artists who make records, but they do everything to bring music to their long-time and devoted fans. Everything that happens to BoT is like a Greek tragedy 🎭

Morrissey must be willing to share this passion with those who desire it. Morrissey seems to want to but doesn't know how to do it.
There are thousands of passionate artists who make records, but they do everything to bring music to their long-time and devoted fans. Everything that happens to BoT is like a Greek tragedy 🎭
I was replying to someone who sees no reason in recording a new album when the last one remains unreleased.

If they were contractually obligated to release it then they would release it. If they didn't, they'd be liable for breach of contract. A settlement for that would likely be returning rights to the album to the artist. More BS from MC.

I was replying to someone who sees no reason in recording a new album when the last one remains unreleased.
you know , it just seems to me that where aside from Morrissey 's giant Ego , there are fans . Fans who love his music, lyrics and without whom he wouldn't be who he is ... It's time for Morrissey to open his eyes and understand that he has to rely on a group of fans who have been devoted to him for years and stop deluding himself that suddenly Miley Cyrus ( just an example ) fans will start come to his concerts and buy albums from his back catalogue . It's not about the reason of recording. But since BoT won't be released, how can we be sure that "the Alain material" will see the light of day.

I don't understand anything but nothing at all. As it is that Morrissey signs a contract with Capitol and then he does not release the album and continues retained and Moz does nothing about it, sorry for my ignorance in the music industry, but does not close me anything ..... Miley Cirus is not understood either..... I think it's time for Moz to come out and talk... Fans have to know what's going on :head-smack:

God as it is that a label signs a contract with an artist and does not know the content of the album, they do not listen to the lyrics ... what happens with this album.......Que cosa mas rara ...Mal!!!!!

Probably because they thought they were getting an album featuring Miley Cyrus, with all the attendant publicity, radio play and sales that entails. Now they find they can't legally issue it with her on it, why bother? Write it off as a tax loss.
If that's the case why not give it back to Morrissey? Tear up whatever contract they had, take the same tax loss. Speculation but I kind of think Moz might have thrown a fit about editing Miley out of Veronica and didn't cooperate. So they didn't really move it forward and this post today was just Moz's or Sam's personal narrative. Seems there has to be something more to it.

Not one single article has been posted on a music website like nme, pitchfork... six hours after this official news item. This speaks volume

I don't get what capitol had to gain from not releasing it, once they signed the deal.
Morrissey has several albums that were released through Universal Music Group (which own Capitol). It’s entirely possible that this latest contract had some wider implications unimportant to Morrissey, but significant for UMG. Vauxhall is thirty years old next year.

Also, Capitol are sitting on an asset. If Morrissey was never on their artist roster, there’s no pressure to release. Particularly as all this ‘forbidden fruit’ publicity only inflates its value.

The highs and lows of being a Morrissey fan, and we’ve hit a new low; that is, engaging in homophobia.

Where do we go from here? I’m at the end of my line - yet again.
Wat da acckual fuk r u on about?

In an ideal world BOT would be a huge hit and Sam Smith would be busking on the underground in his gimp suit.
Nope. We all heard Rebels without applause. It was TERRIBLE. No really, it was one of the worst produced songs I've ever heard. That is what got Bonfire shelved. Nothing else.

doesn’t central exist merely for all of us to judge and heckle? capital records could give a sh*t about what nephew is posting, let alone read it. this post is 100% amateur hour and embarrassing for morrissey.

Last edited:
doesn’t central exist merely for all of us to judge and heckle? capital records could give a sh*t about what nephew is posting, let alone read it. this post is 100% amateur hour and embarrassing for morrissey.
If you don't think a large record company like Capitol has people to monitor what their artists are saying publicly about them then you are seriously misguided. With his track record, anyone who signs Morrissey would would be wise to have their legal dept keep an eye open.

Moz, who is one of the greatest talents out there, is now a D-list celebrity and working his way lower. He did this to himself.

Am I mistaken or did Morrissey part company with the record company first? Is there a buy back clause? I still think this is about Miley Cyrus, M won't agree to take her off if they let him buy back the album.

I am sure FiDo will fill us in with yet another redundant, poorly written essay.

In October, Morrissey Central announced: "Capitol Records (Los Angeles) will release Morrissey’s ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ in February 2023. The album will be released worldwide except for the United Kingdom, where there is no label deal."

Instead of all this pointless yelling at Capitol (who are clearly ignoring him), why not just take the money they paid him to license the album and self-release it in the UK. What's stopping him? :unsure:
Wouldn’t be the first he released an import-only album (Beethoven Was Deaf).

Poor Sam Smith, Why bring them into it?

They’re selling 100 times more records that M is 🙁

Yes, and that tells me all I need to know about music, the music industry and wider society as a whole. Utter crap with literally no substance or authenticity to it whatsoever; the same goes for the individual - not just the dung he peddles.

Tags
bonfire of teenagers
Back
Top Bottom