Morrissey Central “REBELS WITHOUT ASSISTANCE” (December 22, 2022)

"It's been quite sad. The absence of any promotion is noticeable. It's devastating how no one can ever get this right. But they can't, or they won't. Radio stations, as far as I can tell, will play just about anything they're asked to. But as I've always said, true artists must always look after themselves whereas non-artists are encouraged and advanced beyond reason. When you walk through a storm hold your head up high … as the song goes!"

Morrissey in conversation, Los Angeles, December 2022.
Provided by K, C and H.

"true artists must always look after themselves" And Mr. M will continue to do as so, no matter what is said otherwise. I appreciate people that stand by their creed ✝️.

"true artists must always look after themselves" And Mr. M will continue to do as so, no matter what is said otherwise. I appreciate people that stand by their creed ✝️.
Do you honestly think he's done a good job of looking after himself career wise?. Falling out with the major labels willing to sign him, treating concert customers appallingly.

This whole situation is baffling. If he is signed to Capitol - and surely he must be or they would have challenged it - then why haven't they done any promotion? Surely there would have been a plan, an agreement in place that Moz would have needed to see and approve as part of the contract? He wouldn't take a deal that was against his own interests.

Likewise, if there was a plan but Capitol failed to keep their side of the bargain, surely there must be appropriate ways for Moz to challenge them on that? Beyond being "overheard" whining to nobody in particular and then having those comments uploaded to a website, Christ. The situation is pathetic. It's one thing to look desperate when you're unsigned, but getting a deal and then acting like this? It just makes no sense.

Last edited:
Blah, blah, blah, everything is everyone else's fault. It's not that any record company, publicist, promoter, etc., won't touch him with a barge pole, it's because everyone is out to get him. Change the record. This might have flown in 1991, but not anymore.

Get on the phone to your mate Jonathan Ross and see if you can get another interview/performance on TV. Unless he's fallen out with him as well.

"It's been quite sad. The absence of any promotion is noticeable. It's devastating how no one can ever get this right. But they can't, or they won't. Radio stations, as far as I can tell, will play just about anything they're asked to. But as I've always said, true artists must always look after themselves whereas non-artists are encouraged and advanced beyond reason. When you walk through a storm hold your head up high … as the song goes!"

Morrissey in conversation, Los Angeles, December 2022.
Provided by K, C and H.
Yeah, it's an absolute mystery why no one buys his product anymore, isn't it?

'True artist', eh? Why does he protest so much?

Money. And the lack of it.

He's always been the same, and I've been telling you for years

Meanwhile lots of other artists from the same era along with his ex bandmate get loads of airplay. Guess what, they work at promoting themselves rather than sitting around blaming everyone else.

And so the cycle of self destruction begins again, for f*** sake. Harvest, BMG and now Capitol.

If I were the label exce for Capitol I’d f***ing bin Bonfire out of spite and he can do f*** all about it.

This is exactly why Capitol didn’t do a press release, say he was a member of their roster or give him any airtime for rebels, It’s because he’s so typically typically vindictive if he doesn’t get his way.

How f***ing childish to go “heard in conversation” - if you’re going to slag your label of publicly, at least do it properly and put your name to it.

^ apologies, I didn’t login. The post above is mine.

He could absolutely get top TV presence, chat shows, media front covers, but he will have to address his comments and let them talk about the things he’s said. He can absolutely stand by what he says but he’s too afraid. He needs to face up and do the PR himself, not wait for it to come.

I love Morrissey but it’s so painful watch him destroy his progress like this after the Uk tour

And so the cycle of self destruction begins again, for f*** sake. Harvest, BMG and now Capitol.

If I were the label exce for Capitol I’d f***ing bin Bonfire out of spite and he can do f*** all about it.

This is exactly why Capitol didn’t do a press release, say he was a member of their roster or give him any airtime for rebels, It’s because he’s so typically typically vindictive if he doesn’t get his way.

How f***ing childish to go “heard in conversation” - if you’re going to slag your label of publicly, at least do it properly and put your name to it.
Or get your backing band to pose for a photo wearing a T shirt dissing the label. That's not so expensive now that Boz has left the group.

Or get your backing band to pose for a photo wearing a T shirt dissing the label. That's not so expensive now that Boz has left the group.
This was funny back in 2014 when world peace got taken off the face of the planet. Not so fun now when he’s begged for a label.

Do you honestly think he's done a good job of looking after himself career wise?. Falling out with the major labels willing to sign him, treating concert customers appallingly.
I haven't done a good job of my career, but I have one. Executives on major labels are harsh to artists, I'm a first hand witness to it. In regards to treatment of concert customers, most likely my skin is tougher. The music will come when it comes. ☮️ my friend.

I'd sooner strap dynamite to my head than ever listen to the radio. Inane nonsense loudmouth DJs and jibberish ad breaks. Beats me why Moz cares about the radio.
Because he's stuck in the 60's/70's/80's, when charts meant something and the radio was really important. The world has moved on, Morrissey hasn't. Not when it comes to these things, at least.

I always smile when I listen to a certain bootleg LP, think it's First Lost Lad Under The Sod (YATQ songs). Where he says something like "now a new song that you've never heard before". Audience shouts out the song title, and if I remember correctly even sings it. He sounds so puzzled, saying something like "how though???".
I do believe that now, 20 years later, he at least knows the existence of Internet. 😆

Agreed. Instead of the pity party... if he's so proud of the new material and it's his best ever as he claims... it would be nice to see him put in some hustle to promote his own music.
The problem, it seems to me, is that everything with Moz is in a one way direction towards him. Fan adulation, how he expects to be wooed by record labels, the very same record labels he will slag off when his record isn't number 1. And yet he has little regard for his fans: walkimg off stage without explanation, cancelling, etc. He is without doubt his own worst enemy.

Also, the more someone says "I'm a victim" the more people will treat him like one. He's a multimillionaire artist who could release his album himself if he felt like it.

The problem, it seems to me, is that everything with Moz is in a one way direction towards him. Fan adulation, how he expects to be wooed by record labels, the very same record labels he will slag off when his record isn't number 1. And yet he has little regard for his fans: walkimg off stage without explanation, cancelling, etc. He is without doubt his own worst enemy.

Also, the more someone says "I'm a victim" the more people will treat him like one. He's a multimillionaire artist who could release his album himself if he felt like it.
Well said. It just seems that the whole "let's create an adversarial relationship with my record company" approach seems not only counterproductive but highly destructive.

I'd sooner strap dynamite to my head than ever listen to the radio. Inane nonsense loudmouth DJs and jibberish ad breaks. Beats me why Moz cares about the radio.
too true acton,the amount of so called comedians and presenters who have become radio djs is ridiculously bad.j ross,russel brand,dermot o leary,graham norton,rob brydon,i could go on and on but you get the general idea.

I’m gathering he’s sold Bonfire to Capitol. But through some strange oversight he neglected to secure the release details—which those losers on lesser labels tend to prioritise?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom