Worst piece of music Morrissey’s been given?

While this is mainly about morrissey solo, there have been quite a few clunkers from Marr. Earlier compositions like “Jeane” and “Pretty Girls Make Graves” go nowhere and just really don’t work (to these ears)
'Pretty Girls' is OK musically, I think, but what makes the songs slightly bizarre is the best riff on it is hidden away on the very final fadeout. It's one of the Smiths best riffs, and Marr just seems to have tossed it away as an afterthought - luckily Alain later reworked it as the main riff of 'Hold On To your Friends'.

'Pretty Girls' is OK musically, I think, but what makes the songs slightly bizarre is the best riff on it is hidden away on the very final fadeout. It's one of the Smiths best riffs, and Marr just seems to have tossed it away as an afterthought - luckily Alain later reworked it as the main riff of 'Hold On To your Friends'.

Yep. Same with "I Bury The Living" which has that beautiful riff at the end. One of Jesse's best and the only good thing about the entire song!

At Last I Am Born. Every second of it is absolute dogshit.
And World Peace…, Israel, Mountjoy, Throwing My Arms Around Paris are a few more that spring to mind.

But maybe I’ve just been brainwashed by all you racists and haters on here.
🙄
Surely there are tons of far worse examples than Israel, Mountjoy and Paris (musically speaking)?

Notre Dame sucks, both lyrically and musically. Sorry, Alain.

The riff at the end of "Pretty Girls" is just "Hand In Glove", surely?

The flimsiest is Harsh Truth of the Camera.
The most grating is People Are The Same.
And as others have noted, a few of those early Smiths songs were pretty flipping rubbish, too!

agreed. Never got the love for that one, it’s three chords that just plod along. Of course the vocals and lyrics don’t save it

Was there ever much love for it, though?

I agree that musically it is underwhelming.

iv
Heaven is full of annoying people. You sure you wanna go?
iv been,full of stunningly beautiful angels and just me,sounds like heaven.

'I'm Not Sorry'. The flute solo is naff, and there is no place for submarine 'pings' in popular music.

Back
Top Bottom