Who is annoyed by...

It interests me when I meet someone who likes these awful emo groups such as Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance, Panic! At The Disco etc. and doesn't have a clue who Morrissey is! All of the above bands have (for some reason) cited Moz as a big influence.

Morrissey is incredibly popular amongst a lot of other musicians, seemingly more often young/aspiring musicians. Actually, I liked Fall Out Boy's last album quite a bit but their new single is hideous, and I think My Chemical Romance's new album is brilliant and their last one I found very good as well. Panic! at the Disco, however, even though some of my Morrissey-ignorant friends claim that "they sound just alike" (which drives me absolutely insane) I completely detest. But I have two friends who absolutely hate Morrissey/Smiths (though on two occassions, once for Ask and once for The Operation, I found them liking the music until I told them who it was) and love Fall Out Boy and Panic! at the Disco, and another band called AFI who made a rather awful cover of Jack the Ripper, yet refuse to believe all of those bands love Morrissey/Smiths.

EDIT: I saw someone say that they questioned if Fall Out Boy and others were Morrissey fans, but at least some of them certainly are. One of the band members of FOB has Viva Hate and Bona Drag (or maybe it's The Queen is Dead instead of one of those, I can't remember) tattooed on his arms, Peter Wentz wrote some book called The Boy with the Thorn in His Side, My Chemical Romance covered Jack the Ripper as well, and the AFI lead singer has Moz tattooed on his wrist I believe.

Last edited:
I know what you mean about feeling a bit absurd and out of place when you get excited about Moz and the other person has a blank stare....it is annoying. I had to learn to forgive people for not knowing who Morrissey was, or even worse knowing who he is and not liking him. There are a lot of decent people who haven't been lucky enough to have been exposed to him or who just don't understand. It's ok, I forgive them, but it does annoy me a little. On the flipside, if you do genuinely like Morrissey—you’re pretty much an instant friend.

What I will not forgive are people who: 1) do know who he is and (like the Goat says) fall into the clichéd criticisms of him 2) people who dislike him and judge me harshly for loving him or 3) stupid hipsters who don't like him and don't understand him but pretend to because they are hipsters and they are supposed to like him. These people are THE WORST in my book. They will say something about liking the Smiths a bit, but will quickly launch into "he has really gone downhill/ was never good after The Smiths" without pausing for breath. They praise and then criticize him to make themselves look good. Ok, I realize this is maybe only something young hipsters do, but I still hate it. I'd rather face ignorant people any day.

You know, I also do want more people to know about Morrissey, but I am not sure I want him to be a household name, I think he should still be something people discover.

Ok, enough of my ranting...btw I don't live in Canada, but you can be my friend and gush with me if you want to.

oh i know who Ceca is....I'm originally from Serbia.
I lived there long enough to have been deeply affected by the rubbish that is her. My parents are strong anti turbo folk advocates....luckily I grew up in a musically stabile household. You're talking about turbo folk trash Ceca, right?
Yes, the one and only. :rolleyes:

Morrissey is incredibly popular amongst a lot of other musicians, seemingly more often young/aspiring musicians. Actually, I liked Fall Out Boy's last album quite a bit but their new single is hideous, and I think My Chemical Romance's new album is brilliant and their last one I found very good as well. Panic! at the Disco, however, even though some of my Morrissey-ignorant friends claim that "they sound just alike" (which drives me absolutely insane) I completely detest. But I have two friends who absolutely hate Morrissey/Smiths (though on two occassions, once for Ask and once for The Operation, I found them liking the music until I told them who it was) and love Fall Out Boy and Panic! at the Disco, and another band called AFI who made a rather awful cover of Jack the Ripper, yet refuse to believe all of those bands love Morrissey/Smiths.

EDIT: I saw someone say that they questioned if Fall Out Boy and others were Morrissey fans, but at least some of them certainly are. One of the band members of FOB has Viva Hate and Bona Drag (or maybe it's The Queen is Dead instead of one of those, I can't remember) tattooed on his arms, Peter Wentz wrote some book called The Boy with the Thorn in His Side, My Chemical Romance covered Jack the Ripper as well, and the AFI lead singer has Moz tattooed on his wrist I believe.

Maybe they should stick to being fans, the thought of Emo kids ruining it for the rest of us... its my personal apocalypse. (I'm only joking. Honest. Well half:) )

Ok, enough of my ranting...btw I don't live in Canada, but you can be my friend and gush with me if you want to.

I agreed with everything you said in your reply...I've met a couple of those "his solo stuff sucks" people. they just say it, like you said, it seem like they know things, when in fact, they know nothing.

ok we'll be friends for sure. i need more morrissey oriented friends. it's good to know that not everybody has been lobotomized in this world! do you have a myspace? i do, add me if you do too www.myspace.com/lesdemoiselles

"I think he should still be something people discover"

Couldn't agree more! I don't know about you, but when I discovered Moz I just couldn't understand how i hadn´t noticed his music (and person )before - and what a great discovery it is. Nothing can take away the pleasure of being surprised and teased and struck by his music. It´s not just another pop/rock act...

It's happened to me with the "Morrisson" mistake... I HATE IT!! it happened to me with my editor, when I wrote something about Morrissey playing in the same stadium my football team is local in, and I described my emotion about returning to the stadium but not for seing my team, but Moz and then my editor told me: "oh I liked a lot the personal stuff, the feeling about the stadium and 'Morrisson'..." And when he said that, something fell inside of me and I stopped listening to him. :s

It's happened to me with the "Morrisson" mistake... I HATE IT!! it happened to me with my editor, when I wrote something about Morrissey playing in the same stadium my football team is local in, and I described my emotion about returning to the stadium but not for seing my team, but Moz and then my editor told me: "oh I liked a lot the personal stuff, the feeling about the stadium and 'Morrisson'..." And when he said that, something fell inside of me and I stopped listening to him. :s

see, that's what i mean. the moment someone makes a stupid mistake like that, i just dismiss them.

they just wouldn't understand us.
..and they don't.

I think if I used the Morrissey question as a screening process for people I know I wouldn’t have many friends left! I’d say half the people I’ve mentioned his name to don’t know him at all, and the other half know his name vaguely, and may have some odd ideas of him- like the pre-conceived nonsense of the ‘miserable’ tag for instance, but that’s been my only experiences. One of my friends somehow thought he was dead and that his grave was like a shrine that fans went on a pilgrimage to, I still haven’t worked out who she’s got him confused with! And I’ve really given up bringing him up in general conversations mostly.

I think if I actually met a fan of Morrissey’s I’d be in complete shock, I don’t know where they’re hiding but I don’t come across any. But in a way I guess it’s nice to have your own private obsessions to keep to yourself.

who cares...
humans are overrated anyway.

you should NEVER feel silly or inferoir for liking Moz, it should be the other way round especially for those peeps who have a preconcieved idea of him as say misreable/gay/whatever..

and as Still ill said, it is nice to have ones own private obsessions ;)

besides you have this place.. :D

having said all that i get pissed off by pepes that deny that meat is murder.. that REALLY makes my blood boil, i have to just console myself with the fact that karma will get them eventually. :p

One of my friends somehow thought he was dead and that his grave was like a shrine that fans went on a pilgrimage to, I still haven’t worked out who she’s got him confused with!

jim morrison probably.
his grave was extensively dammaged by fan grafitti and stuff.
i think it's protected by a fence now.
if she mentioned Père Lachaise cemetery in Paris, then it must be doors' jim.

Back
Top Bottom