What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

I guess I’m gonna try Try goldfinch against my instincts on the recommendation of a friend

graham swift - the light of day. 7th chapter and just found out that it is a detective novel, a quite unusual one, with a secret surrounding the pi and one of his clients, slowly unfolding.

graham swift - the light of day. 7th chapter and just found out that it is a detective novel, a quite unusual one, with a secret surrounding the pi and one of his clients, slowly unfolding.

Most people's favorite literary genre. Who can escape from a detective novel? Good or bad, you are a prisioner until the end.

yp1qBsi.jpg

I was in search of something else and found this little cubic book I bought some years ago in Buenos Aires book fair and actually never paid attention to. There are some interesting and revealing photos there. Randomly, I opened a page and there it was the picture of Haile Selassie appealing at the League of Nations for help against Mussolini's invasion of his country. The book has 1236 pages. What are the odds??

I've just finished re-reading Autobiography by the man himself. It's really great. Yes, he goes on about the court case for too long but he is a very good and funny writer. If only the lyrics on his recent albums were as good!

Just started The Brothers Karamazov which seems good so far. Very long so I'm hoping it will keep my attention. I loved Crime and Punishment and The Devils so hoping I'll enjoy this one. Any Dostoyevsky fans out there?

Currently translating from Latin to Spanish a set of epistles written in the XVII century.
So reading and translating all at once.

Really? Give me a break, Urbanus.

Well, but I am not "Urbanus" and I am REALLY translating a set of epistles from the first half of the XVII century... and I am doing it as a job.
They are interesting because all of them are conversations between mystics and alchemists, but the subject of politics and religion shows up all the time.

In most of these epistles the central discussion is WHY someone has the right ro rule... and WHO should rule. Of course, they are from the XVII century, so the big discussion is if the Pope and the Catholic Church should have a political authority or not. The epistles in all cases have the opinion that it shouldn't... and most of them are very much anti-clerical, supporting the position of "separation of Church and State" (though not expressed with those words).

What I am liking about them is that they somehow become a forerunner to the age of enlightenment.

Give me a cigarette., won't you?

Well, but I am not "Urbanus" and I am REALLY translating a set of epistles from the first half of the XVII century... and I am doing it as a job.
They are interesting because all of them are conversations between mystics and alchemists, but the subject of politics and religion shows up all the time.

In most of these epistles the central discussion is WHY someone has the right ro rule... and WHO should rule. Of course, they are from the XVII century, so the big discussion is if the Pope and the Catholic Church should have a political authority or not. The epistles in all cases have the opinion that it shouldn't... and most of them are very much anti-clerical, supporting the position of "separation of Church and State" (though not expressed with those words).

What I am liking about them is that they somehow become a forerunner to the age of enlightenment.

Give me a cigarette., won't you?

I wouldn't give you a cigarette, and I bet those epistles would say cigarettes and you should be even more separated than church and state. I have that feeling, don't ask me why.

I wouldn't give you a cigarette, and I bet those epistles would say cigarettes and you should be even more separated than church and state. I have that feeling, don't ask me why.

I don't get why you have this aggressive tone.
Is it because you have a conflict with a person known as "Urbanus" and you suspect that I am "Urbanus"? (That's my wild guess).
Gosh... I am not Urbanus and I don't even know him.

I don't get why you got upset when I said that I am translating a set of old epistles... Is that so horrible?
Take my cigarette, count three, breathe deeply and chill out.

Can you do something unexpected and suddenly become polite?

I don't get why you have this aggressive tone.
Is it because you have a conflict with a person known as "Urbanus" and you suspect that I am "Urbanus"? (That's my wild guess).
Gosh... I am not Urbanus and I don't even know him.

I don't get why you got upset when I said that I am translating a set of old epistles... Is that so horrible?
Take my cigarette, count three, breathe deeply and chill out.

Can you do something unexpected and suddenly become polite?

I'm usually quite polite and I wasn't impolite with you on purpose. I don't understand why you are so upset just because I confused you with another member of this honorable website. I don't have a conflict with Urbanus, I joke with him. Please, excuse me for this apparently offensive confusion. I'm human and far from perfect. Urbanus is human too, I guess. Just like you and I. If you want a proof that I care about you, that's it: I wouldn't give you a cigarette because those things killed my father. I'm usually polite, so that wouldn't be unexpected. I can do other unexpected things. But if I tell you, they wouldn't be unexpected. You would expect them because I told you. We have a problem here :rolleyes:

I'm usually quite polite and I wasn't impolite with you on purpose. I don't understand why you are so upset just because I confused you with another member of this honorable website. I don't have a conflict with Urbanus, I joke with him. Please, excuse me for this apparently offensive confusion. I'm human and far from perfect. Urbanus is human too, I guess. Just like you and I. If you want a proof that I care about you, that's it: I wouldn't give you a cigarette because those things killed my father. I'm usually polite, so that wouldn't be unexpected. I can do other unexpected things. But if I tell you, they wouldn't be unexpected. You would expect them because I told you. We have a problem here :rolleyes:

Hahaha... OK... I'm not Urbanus and I am simply translating some old letters. Problem solved?
The paradox of doing something unexpected after being asked to do something unexpected is a huge logical problem, that's true.

The previous book I've read was The Manuscript Found in Saragossa by Jan Potocki... which is probably among the greatest books I've ever read.

O.K... I am not Mr. Urbanus and I get that you got mixed up and ypu were joking with a friend and thinking he had created a new pseudonym, but that's not the case. Your sins are forgiven :D

And I will post a random song, because I can.

Most people's favorite literary genre. Who can escape from a detective novel? Good or bad, you are a prisioner until the end.
the genre is quite versatile, it covers everything from mike hammer to the name to the rose. there are certain stock elements which can be recognized by the nostalgic fans who need just that to be happy within their comfort zones, like the armchair detective e.g., but these elements are also quite flexible so that they can be adapted by various writers. the swift novel is different as it does not rub the detective's profession under the reader's nose but you only slowly find out about it. then it is not told chronologically, which is a real blessing, so there are some flashbacks too. there hasnt been a corpse yet, all i know is that the detective visits a cemetery every second week to leave some flowers there and one of his former clients has been in prison for two years. the tone is melancholy, i think, kind of sedated.

Perfect by Rachel Joyce. Bought it for four dollars and it’s not bad. A little to precious and direct at times leaving it maybe a bit flat but it’s also got some funny and well worded lines. I do like that for all its directness it’s a story told in periphery

Tags
books wit no pitchers but not much more just fuck off literary ponces long live books more to life than books nerds n squares obscurer and obscurer shakespeare is smart
Back
Top Bottom