What will happen after the South America tour 2024?

What will Moz do careerwise in 2024?

• Total voters
In a final, desperate career-saving move, I predict a Morrissey comeback single cover version of 'Don't Go Breaking My Heart', performed as a vocal duet with Johnny Marr. The single hits #1 in the UK, but chaos ensues after a fist fight breaks out during the sole promotional live TV performance.

True of course. But I think the industry knows these are open goals too. There will be offers made I’m sure, but it remains to be seen whether he accepts them or not. We know what his demands will be (release new music) and we also know what the industry’s demands will be (play the game of interviews/features etc).

Normally I would think he wouldn’t do it, but these Quarry dates make me a little more optimistic that he’s willing to play the game (and coming around again, to paraphrase Carly Simon ;))
Yes, good point about the Quarry dates, definitely a new thing for him. I just hope they actually happen, and go well!

He has some experience behind the bar, so might try that for a while?

so-morrissey-was-pulling-pints-in-this-dublin-pub-last-night.png

Here is Morrissey's celebrity astrological birth chart, which contains a lot of information in segments in case anyone cares to decipher it - https://allfamous.org/astrology/morrissey-19590522.html

Can the public image be rehabilitated, to match the immense legacy? Or does it matter? :unsure:

I don’t know why I voted « another wilderness phase » when, as some posters pointed out, 2024 could be a truly iconic year with all the anniversaries of some true milestones in his career. It would be so great to get a reappraisal of his rich body of work and impact on other artists. Can it happen in today’s music industry?

He has some experience behind the bar, so might try that for a while?
Actually, I can imagine Moz quitting the music business to open his own bar. All vegetarian food menu, New York Dolls on the jukebox, Damon & Jesse dressed in lederhosen uniform pulling pints, plus nightly drag cabaret in the room upstairs.
morrissey+tavern+yonge+street+1993.jpg

Oh they absolutely can continue to ignore him: the industry because they've decided he's almost impossible to work with, and journalists because either (a) they've made up their mind that his views are abhorrent to their readership or (b) he simply doesn't play the game of interviews/profiles/features etc.

Agree re 2024 and all those anniversaries, though. Only a true contrarian could manage to miss all of those open goals...

Still, we always have the dark horse of his (alleged) work on the (alleged) A$AP Rocky album.

You're right that they can continue to ignore him but you're wrong about the reasons.
The only real thing that's scuppered his commercial viability since 2019 is that the radio stations that had been playing his stuff since the 1990s, would (for the first time ever) no longer play his new songs.
Interviews/features/TV shows etc make almost no difference to an act's success.
When did you last buy an album simply because you read an interview with the singer?
Two of Morrissey's most successful ever album 'campaigns' (Viva Hate and Vauxhall) had hardly any interviews/tours/TV shows.
They just had very successful (for him) singles on the radio. It's all you need.

You're right that they can continue to ignore him but you're wrong about the reasons.
The only real thing that's scuppered his commercial viability since 2019 is that the radio stations that had been playing his stuff since the 1990s, would (for the first time ever) no longer play his new songs.
Interviews/features/TV shows etc make almost no difference to an act's success.
When did you last buy an album simply because you read an interview with the singer?
Two of Morrissey's most successful ever album 'campaigns' (Viva Hate and Vauxhall) had hardly any interviews/tours/TV shows.
They just had very successful (for him) singles on the radio. It's all you need.
Why did the radio stations stop playing the singles?

Since The Smiths, and maybe before, Morrissey is an artist, foremost. He's not just singing, he's telling stories, sharing scenes, and creating moods, drawing on a huge range of cultural strands. He's always been involved in the visual aspects of both shows and records. It would be nice if he was asked to curate an exhibition or two, or initiated that himself. Collage, like Linder, is probably his strength, unless there's something he's not telling us and he's hiding a few self-made Lowry companions in the attic. Enough water's gone under the bridge since 2013 for a 2nd autobiography to ignite interest as well. If touring continues, I suggest 'boutique' tours, to coin a term, meaning planned carefully to best suit participants.

But the variety of anniversaries next year should mean more opportunities again. :guitar:

Another Wilderness Years would basically be retirement at this point. Maybe just a year or two off so that he can concentrate on getting another recording contract so he can release the two albums and then new material after? I guess that’s my hope, anyway.

My guess will be more of the same - shorter tours, perhaps with more residencies. And probably no new releases unless he is finally willing to bend on his stance that he is due a 1980s/1990s-style big-time recording contract that doesn't even exist anymore, especially for an artist of his age that moves the number of units he has in the past ten years.

He's Long Been Ready for Adventures Part 2: Morrissey's Unauthorized Autobiography, Made by Johnny Marr and Booz Borer I think Boz has a lot to tell about Moz

The future of Moz Tour - what should happen next?
So - the future seems a blank slate at the moment, so now might be a good time to ask - what are people's opinions on the future of Morrissey playing live? Hopes, predictions, fears, etc.

Should he take a long break, or come back a.s.a.p?
What countries should he be concentrating on?
Smaller venues to make up for the declining ticket sales? Or maybe less shows but larger venues? Residencies? The Vegas years? Butlins? Morrissey cruise ship?
Same band, or something new? What kind of setlists would you want?
Intimate acoustic shows? Big showcase event with full orchestra? One-man karaoke performance to backing tracks?

Speak now! :guitar:

The future of Moz Tour - what should happen next?
So - the future seems a blank slate at the moment, so now might be a good time to ask - what are people's opinions on the future of Morrissey playing live? Hopes, predictions, fears, etc.

Should he take a long break, or come back a.s.a.p?
What countries should he be concentrating on?
Smaller venues to make up for the declining ticket sales? Or maybe less shows but larger venues? Residencies? The Vegas years? Butlins? Morrissey cruise ship?
Same band, or something new? What kind of setlists would you want?
Intimate acoustic shows? Big showcase event with full orchestra? One-man karaoke performance to backing tracks?

Speak now! :guitar:

I went to 3 Orchestral shows last year, Echo& The Bunnymen, James and Johnny Marr. All 3 were absolutely fantastic and sold really well. I would love to see Morrissey do something similar.

Last edited:
I went to 3 Orchestral shows last year, Echo o& The Bunnymen, James and Johnny Marr. All 3 were absolutely fantastic and sold really well. I would love to see Morrissey do something similar.
It's a complete no-brainer, isn't it? And exactly the kind of thing his deeply contrary nature will prevent him from ever doing, I suspect... (But then again I thought that about the "album anniversary" shows which were recently...attempted.)

The hair, there has to be something done with the hair, then six months out of the spotlight to get used to it.

Trip to Turkey (again) ..... Then 6 months later, If he buys more sharpies he can get someone to colour it all in. Maybe go for a few different shapes and colours this time, instead of a boring black square on the back of his head.

Back
Top Bottom